LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

DT Earl Mitchell thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I don't know much about him. Is he considered a big pickup?

Thanks
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
Got the 1tech

What are your thoughts on him? Not too familiar other than his position and little things I've seen

No thoughts. I never even heard of him until last week. I might not even be correct that he'll play 1t.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

49ers are giving DT Earl Mitchell a four-year deal, per source.
That's 2 for 2 in FA signings this week...just like D'Waun Williams, Mitchell could've gone elsewhere, but chose the Niners. I'm liking this trend. From what I've heard about Mitchell, he's strong vs the run and not as much against the pass. If nothing else, he's some good depth along a DL that'll need beefing up. I don't think his signing means they're not going to sign others...just getting started.
Good deal. Contract is nice value. Solid player, will likely start on the interior for us. Hopefully he's our NT.
Got the 1tech

What are your thoughts on him? Not too familiar other than his position and little things I've seen

No thoughts. I never even heard of him until last week. I might not even be correct that he'll play 1t.

Based on his contract, it seems like they envision him starting. I could be wrong. I really hope this doesn't stop them from chasing someone else in free agency. Everything I read about Mitchell is that he's not really valuable as a run stuffer. We still need some help there.
Originally posted by saniner:
4m
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
Former Miami Dolphins' DT Earl Mitchell plans to sign with 49ers, per league source. Big pickup before league year begins

I don't know much about him. Is he considered a big pickup?

Not big, but second/third tier. He was hurt last year but he's solid as a pass rusher
[ Edited by saniner on Feb 24, 2017 at 4:57 PM ]
  • PGENZ
  • Veteran
Glenn Dorsey will be not resigned I guess?
[ Edited by PGENZ on Feb 24, 2017 at 4:57 PM ]
Great pickup. Since moving to the 4/3 will need more interior lineman.

He's not a NT he's more a pass rushing DT will still need a big immovable object in the middle.

Wow! 2-2 on free agents so far and this is a real solid pickup! Mitchell is a really solid, veteran run stopper and we desperately needed a guy like that up front. Really solid move! Things really are changing in Santa Clara....
Originally posted by PGENZ:
Glenn Dorsey will be not resigned I guess?

Pretty much. Also could mean Ian Williams is done in the NFL.
John Lynch is 2-2. SOLID move. This guy will help right away and fills a need.
Well atleast they are showing signs of putting some thread on the road now. Baalke kept wanting to keep it in garage and just pull out the the electric scooter.
  • thl408
Trying to figure out where he might play. Most the reports on him are of his college days, which are outdated. Here's one of him as a FA before he signed with MIA.

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/2014-interior-defensive-lineman-free-agent-breakdown.html#.WLDXIW_ysdU
Earl Mitchell has never been a great player, but also is a bit miscast in his current role. He plays the more penetrating, Jay Ratliff style of nose tackle in Houston's 3-4 defense. With a coaching change taking place, the Texans may opt to look for a more traditional gap-plugger at nose tackle. Mitchell could a be a better player in a 4-3 type of scheme, or he might always just be a decent early down role player.
Share 49ersWebzone