LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Which current 49ers fit in a 4-3 defense, which don't, and what will it look like

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mostly concerned with the front 7. I know we were missing some of the key components to make the 4-3 viable. Specifically at nose tackle and after Bowman was injured we did not have the level of play needed at ILB to be effective. I have a few questions for you guys.

I feel like Dorsey can move inside to nose tackle and Buckner can remain at DE, but where does Armstead fit in?
Will Carradine be more effective at Defensive end, or does the other spot go to Lynch?
Can Lynch be a stand up linebacker in a 4-3?
Does Bowman stay at ILB or move to OLB?
Besides talent, what key component are we missing to make our defense decent again?
What key free agents would be most desirable for us now that we've made the switch?

These are my concerns. What are yours?
How 49ers' personnel fits a Seattle-style defense
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article132650344.html
Seattle's 4-3 Defense vs. San Francisco's Personnel

LDE: Michael Bennett vs. Arik Armstead; Chris Jones & Tony Jerod Eddie
LDT: Ahtyba Trubin vs. Quinton Dial; Mike Purcell
RDT: Jarran Reed vs. DeForest Bucker; Glenn Dorsey & Zach Moore
RDE/LEO: Cliff Avril vs. Aaron Lynch; Ronald Blair, Eli Harold & Tank Carradine
SAM: Michael Morgan vs. Ahmad Brooks; Carl Bradford
MLB: Bobby Wagner vs. Navarro Bowman; Michael Wilhoite, Shayne Skov & Nick Bellore
WLB: KJ Wright vs. Ray-Ray Armstrong; Gerald Hodges & Wynton McManis
LCB: Richard Sherman vs. Rashard Robinson; Dontae Johnson
RCB: DeShawn Shead vs. Tramaine Brock; Keith Reaser
SLOT/CB: Jeremy Lane vs. Will Redmond; Chris Davis & JaCorey Shepherd
FS: Earl Thomas vs. Jimmie Ward; Marcus Cromartie & Marcus Ball
SS: Kam Chancellor vs. Jaquiski Tartt; Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea & Vinnie Sunseri

Subject to potential changes depending on how these players fit and new acquisitions...
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM ]
I like Ward at FS, Reid would probably start at SS over Tartt.
Originally posted by NCommand:

MLB: Bobby Wagner vs. Navarro Bowman; Michael Wilhoite, Shayne Skov & Nick Bellore
SS: Kam Chancellor vs. Jaquiski Tartt; Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea & Vinnie Sunseri

Subject to potential changes depending on how these players fit and new acquisitions...

Good line up

AA is one of our worst defenders in space. Having AA line up in a 4 or 6 technique is scary to me.

RDE Jones
RDT Defo AA as depth
LT/NT ?FA, Draft, maybe dial if all fails
leo blair, Lynch, FA, Daft
Originally posted by PacTiger:

AA is one of our worst defenders in space. Having AA line up in a 4 or 6 technique is scary to me.

RDE Jones
RDT Defo AA as depth
LT/NT ?FA, Draft, maybe dial if all fails
leo blair, Lynch, FA, Daft

Agree. He will be better of as a DT, would be awful as a DE.
No solutions to offer but I think Tank and Lynch have just grown cobwebs and shouldn't be considered viable talents moving forward.
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
No solutions to offer but I think Tank and Lynch have just grown cobwebs and shouldn't be considered viable talents moving forward.

Lynch shouldn't be spoken of as a reliable player. He should be thought of as an asset if he produces and has a new outlook out of training camp.
Buckner and Ward will be the only two hold overs for Lynchshannity. Nobody else gets a 2nd contract. Maybe Rashard Robinson

I worry most about Armstead and even Bowman. Though Armstead could end up being a strong 1st and 2nd LDE and an effective 3rd down rusher inside.

I love Bowman but as a MLB in a 4-3 his range will really be tested and as we know he's coming an Achilles tear after tearing up hid knee. I really hope we can get another 2-3 years out of him though just in his leadership and presence alone.

Buckner I think will be just fine and could be a John Henderson type for us.

I think Eli Harold and/or Ahmad Brooks could thrive as a Sam OLB. Harold could end up being a Bruce Irvin type player for us. Don't count him out just yet.

Can Jimmy Ward be our Earl Thomas? I think he could be close IF he can stay healthy.

We need a run stopping, two gapper up front and a pass rusher at RDE for the elephant/Leo role. God I would love Melvin Ingram or Derek Barnett.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Buckner and Ward will be the only two hold overs for Lynchshannity. Nobody else gets a 2nd contract. Maybe Rashard Robinson

Rashard Robinson is going to be talked about as a pro bowl type player in 2 years IMO. But you could be right about the rest of D besides Ward and Buckner. It will be interesting to watch. I actually think Eli Harold is going to benefit to the switch and I think he could be a good Sam LB
[ Edited by StubbyNBY on Feb 19, 2017 at 8:20 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
armstead doesnt cuz he sucks.
In this scheme to guys will be allowed to play and attack more and less thinking just more reacting. I think a guy like Tartt will benifit and could be a player
I see it looking like this: Armstead, LDE, ?? and maybe Chris Jones at DT, Buckner at RDE & a LB. The ?? will hopefully be Kawann Short, Brandon Williams or Bennie Logan. Saleh doesn't necessarily need a NT alongside Jones or whoever else lines up next to Buckner, but he does need a stout run-stuffer. I like Short because he can also generate an interior pass rush. The depth behind the starting 4 will also need to be studly...that's what makes Seattle's defense so consistently good. The other position on the front line will be a LB...Brooks could be decent there, he's done it before. Another possibility's Ingram...he's pretty studly and could be a nice compliment to the DL.
Share 49ersWebzone