LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Roster Analysis: Before the Draft and Free Agency

Shop Find 49ers gear online
IMO, I would, as long as they're not tagged, I would add Melvin Ingram from LAC to play LEO Edge Rusher, Brandon Williams(BAL) or Dontari Poe(KC) to play the NT spot in the 4-3 system, I'd also try and sign A.J. Boyue from Houston, he should be the top CB on the market, along with Trumaine Johnson.

If the rumors are true, and the 49ers and Washington will talk Cousins to SF deal, then I think we would have our franchise QB who fits Shanny's offense. Now I'm not sure if it would be Cousins and 17th pick for 2nd pick, We'd probably have to add in something else, probably a 2nd rounder in 2018, but I'd be for it. I just don't like the idea of dealing the 2nd pick, and another pick for Cousins.

As for offensively in free agency, DiMarco from ATL to start at FB, Pierre Garcon at WR from WAS, Jacob Tamme from ATL at TE, and I would look into Kevin Zeitler as a potential LG, while moving Zane Beadles to C, where he really played well this past season.

Here's a mock Roster:

QB- Cousins, Vet Backup(Hoyer, Schaub), Rookie(Like Webb)
RB- Hyde(I'd extend him also), Rookie(Somewhere between rd 3 and rd 4, I like a bunch of guys, Pumphrey of SDSU, McNichols of BSU), Harris(RFA this offseason)
FB- DiMarco
WR- Smith, Rookie(I'd take a WR between rds 2-4, as we will get a 4th rd comp pick, which can be traded)
WR- Garcon, Rogers(Hopefully he comes back healthy from the ACL injury) or someone like Burbridge or Harper
WR- Kerley(Re-Signed), Ellington
TE- McDonald, Tamme, Celek, Bell
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
RG- Garnett, Tiller(ERFA this offseason)
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown

LEO DE: Ingram, Lynch, Tank, Harold(I can see Harold starting at OLB)
DE: Armstead, Blair
DT: Buckner, Dial
NT: Williams or Poe, Rookie(3rd day pick)
OLB: Brooks(His salary de-escalated)
MLB: Bowman, Hodges(Re-Signed)
OLB: Armstrong
CB: Robinson, Johnson
CB; Bouye, Rookie or maybe Reaser or Shephard
CB: Williams, Redmond
FS: Ward
SS: Reid, Tartt

PK: Dawson(Re-Signed)
P: Pinion or Brock Miller(He was signed to a 3-year deal as a reserve/future deal)
LS: Nelson

Return Man: Kerley, Shepherd, Harris, Ellington are all potential choices, or someone in the draft

I would cut Brock, and Bethea(Too slow, and can't cover well enough IMO to fit in the 4-3 system, and Kap opts out, or is cut, no way they should keep him for $16.9M in cash.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
IMO, I would, as long as they're not tagged, I would add Melvin Ingram from LAC to play LEO Edge Rusher, Brandon Williams(BAL) or Dontari Poe(KC) to play the NT spot in the 4-3 system, I'd also try and sign A.J. Boyue from Houston, he should be the top CB on the market, along with Trumaine Johnson.

If the rumors are true, and the 49ers and Washington will talk Cousins to SF deal, then I think we would have our franchise QB who fits Shanny's offense. Now I'm not sure if it would be Cousins and 17th pick for 2nd pick, We'd probably have to add in something else, probably a 2nd rounder in 2018, but I'd be for it. I just don't like the idea of dealing the 2nd pick, and another pick for Cousins.

As for offensively in free agency, DiMarco from ATL to start at FB, Pierre Garcon at WR from WAS, Jacob Tamme from ATL at TE, and I would look into Kevin Zeitler as a potential LG, while moving Zane Beadles to C, where he really played well this past season.

Here's a mock Roster:

RB- Hyde(I'd extend him also), Rookie(Somewhere between rd 3 and rd 4, I like a bunch of guys, Pumphrey of SDSU, McNichols of BSU), Harris(RFA this offseason)
FB- DiMarco
WR- Smith, Rookie(I'd take a WR between rds 2-4, as we will get a 4th rd comp pick, which can be traded)
WR- Garcon, Rogers(Hopefully he comes back healthy from the ACL injury) or someone like Burbridge or Harper
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown

P: Pinion or Brock Miller(He was signed to a 3-year deal as a reserve/future deal)

Return Man: Kerley, Shepherd, Harris, Ellington are all potential choices, or someone in the draft

I would cut Brock, and Bethea(Too slow, and can't cover well enough IMO to fit in the 4-3 system, and Kap opts out, or is cut, no way they should keep him for $16.9M in cash.

Dude you murked it! Cooper Kupp for the WR I also think Redmond starts, or,probably also look into drafting a MLB/WILL in rounds 3-5 to develop. Same thing for C.

Here's a mock Roster:

FB- DiMarco
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown

Nicely done, AB. I like all the Free Agent additions along with the Cousins trade (assuming they could fit it all under the cap and still allow for extensions such as Hyde).

Here's a mock Roster:

[snip]

I like it. The thing I wonder most about in your lineup (assuming we can actually land the FA and draft picks you mention) is at center. I'll give Beadles a lot of credit for switching last year to center when the team was in desperate need and did a pretty fair job but I'm not sure about him becoming a regular starter. I see both he and Kilgore as good backups at center or guard but I'm wondering if there isn't some FA center that might be better. I'd be at least tempted to draft a center in one of the middle rounds in hopes they might develop into something better than Beadles or Kilgore (not that either one of them is particularly bad at center but it isn't a position Beadles has played much and Kilgore, unfortunately, has a tendency to get injured).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
What do you guys think of Garcon?

San Francisco 49ers: Pierre Garcon, wide receiver

New Niners coach Kyle Shanahan found success bringing ex-players like Alex Mack and Taylor Gabriel with him to his offensive-coordinator gig in Atlanta. While there aren't many intriguing Falcons to grab in free agency, Garcon fits the bill as a dependable veteran who knows Shanahan's system from their days together in Washington. Garcon and Torrey Smith would comprise a solid starting duo for the 49ers' quarterback-to-be-named-later.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000787025/article/free-agency-a-fun-player-addition-for-each-nfc-team

I think if we added some other explosive pieces, Garcon would be a great addition. A good "move-the-chains" kind of guy, but hasn't been a major scoring threat for most of his career.

Agreed....we need more of the traditional WCO ZWR's now...the bigger-bodied WR's like Kenny Britt to balance out Torrey at the XWR and Kerley at the Y. Garcon would be nice as an additional WR to play the X & Y and be that 4th WR (or beat out Torrey).

4th WR? Pretty sure Garcon becomes our de facto #1 if we sign him. At approximately 9 mill/year there's no way we bring him in with anything less in mind. Britt may be a better Z on paper but his productivity has been mediocre at best. Give me Garcon for 3 yrs, 25 mill over Britt and that wouldn't stop us from drafting another WR high.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Dude you murked it! Cooper Kupp for the WR I also think Redmond starts, or,probably also look into drafting a MLB/WILL in rounds 3-5 to develop. Same thing for C.

I can see Redmond starting, depends on how healthy he is, and how good he loioks.

I agree with adding a backup MLB, and definitely a OL, someone who can play pretty much every spot on the OLine.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Nicely done, AB. I like all the Free Agent additions along with the Cousins trade (assuming they could fit it all under the cap and still allow for extensions such as Hyde).

Oh we can, we can definitely fit them under the cap, and still have some leftover, I don't think we'll go buck wild in free agency, but we're going to be in on the top guys, only Cleveland can outbid us, and we're more desirable IMO than the Browns are.

It'll come down to structure, obviously Cousins would have the highest cap number in 2017 of anyone on the roster, then we can structure contracts for guys like Williams or Poe, Ingram, Zietler, Hyde, Kerley, etc...

I'd look at certain players agents wise, the 49ers have a great relationship with Drew Rosenhaus, no matter how much of a jerk he comes off as, It's basically for show, and self promotion, but he's done team friendly deals, Anthony Davis, Frank Gore, NaVorro Bowman(Both extensions), Torrey Smith, Ian Williams. I don't know exactly who he reps that are FAs, but I would not be surprised if we look at some of his clients.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I like it. The thing I wonder most about in your lineup (assuming we can actually land the FA and draft picks you mention) is at center. I'll give Beadles a lot of credit for switching last year to center when the team was in desperate need and did a pretty fair job but I'm not sure about him becoming a regular starter. I see both he and Kilgore as good backups at center or guard but I'm wondering if there isn't some FA center that might be better. I'd be at least tempted to draft a center in one of the middle rounds in hopes they might develop into something better than Beadles or Kilgore (not that either one of them is particularly bad at center but it isn't a position Beadles has played much and Kilgore, unfortunately, has a tendency to get injured).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind looking at a C, maybe J.C. Tretter of the Packers, I read that they won't be able to outbid a team that wants him as their Center. Also in the draft, Elflein, and Pocic are the top 2 guys.

Here's a mock Roster:

FB- DiMarco
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown

Gonna have to give up that 2nd pick for Cousins

Here's a mock Roster:

FB- DiMarco
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown

Nice overview. To nitpick, why would we have to give Wash any more picks for Cousins? The value from #17 to #2 is approximately 1600 points which is the same value roughly as a mid first rounder this year and first rounder next year. More than fair for a team that has close to zero leverage.

For me, on offense I would move Garnett back to LG sign a RG in FA and have Beadles backup both G spots and be 3rd string C. I would bring in a veteran C like John Sullivan with Kilgore backing him up.

On defense, I think we need to add more to our LB corps outside of Ingram. We need more youth and speed at MLB, OLB and SAM and you really haven't added pieces to that corp. Cunningham at #17 for WILL and TJ Watt in the 2nd could be example additions. I think we can get something back for Brock. He's on a reasonable contract and we got a 7th for Acker. Brock is a better player and we could get at least a 7th maybe a 6th for Brock.

One FA corner to look out for is Prince who Saleh is familiar with. I can see him starting opposite Robinson and would give us two nice press corners on the outside.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Gonna have to give up that 2nd pick for Cousins

Not gonna happen. In context that makes no sense for us and Cousins holds all the cards not Wash,
This is such a great thread! I've thought about doing a mock but when I read through all the idea it is mind boggling who many ways this team can go. For instance, I was thinking they just had to go in one of three directions with the first pick: 1) QB (Trubisky); 2) Pass rush (Garrett); or trade back to take someone like LB Foster or WR Williams/Davis.

But now I'm reading that with the switch to a 4/3 DT Allen might be a perfect fit and a much more sure prospect than any QB. Argh! Would love to be in the war room as they put together their big board!
Here's a mock Roster:
Nice work AB! Let's look at the numbers...
QB- Cousins, Vet Backup; (Hoyer or Schaub), Rookie (Like Webb)
$18-24M + $5.25M
RB- Hyde (I'd extend him also), Rookie (Somewhere between rd 3 and rd 4, I like a bunch of guys, Pumphrey of SDSU, McNichols of BSU), Harris (RFA this offseason)
Good move on the early extension plus Harris around $2.5-2.9M
FB- DiMarco
Between $2.3-3.4M
WR- Smith, Rookie (I'd take a WR between rds 2-4, as we will get a 4th rd comp pick, which can be traded)
WR- Garcon, Rogers (Hopefully he comes back healthy from the ACL injury) or someone like Burbridge or Harper
WR- Kerley (Re-Signed), Ellington
$9 + 3.5M
$4M
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
RG- Garnett, Tiller (ERFA this offseason)
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown
$8M
LEO DE: Ingram, Lynch, Tank, Harold (I can see Harold starting at OLB)
$11-13M
$9.2M
OLB: Brooks (His salary de-escalated)
MLB: Bowman, Hodges (Re-Signed)
$1.75M
$10-12M
PK: Dawson (Re-Signed)
P: Pinion or Brock Miller (He was signed to a 3-year deal as a reserve/future deal)
$2M

At most, $98M of the expected $100M+. And you need $10M for the rookie salaries.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Here's a mock Roster:
Nice work AB! Let's look at the numbers...
QB- Cousins, Vet Backup; (Hoyer or Schaub), Rookie (Like Webb)
$18-24M + $5.25M
RB- Hyde (I'd extend him also), Rookie (Somewhere between rd 3 and rd 4, I like a bunch of guys, Pumphrey of SDSU, McNichols of BSU), Harris (RFA this offseason)
Good move on the early extension plus Harris around $2.5-2.9M
FB- DiMarco
Between $2.3-3.4M
WR- Smith, Rookie (I'd take a WR between rds 2-4, as we will get a 4th rd comp pick, which can be traded)
WR- Garcon, Rogers (Hopefully he comes back healthy from the ACL injury) or someone like Burbridge or Harper
WR- Kerley (Re-Signed), Ellington
$6 + 3.5M
$4M
C- Beadles, Kilgore
LG- Zeitler
RG- Garnett, Tiller (ERFA this offseason)
LT- Staley, Theus
RT- Brown
$8M
LEO DE: Ingram, Lynch, Tank, Harold (I can see Harold starting at OLB)
$11-13M
$9.2M
OLB: Brooks (His salary de-escalated)
MLB: Bowman, Hodges (Re-Signed)
$1.75M
$10-12M
PK: Dawson (Re-Signed)
P: Pinion or Brock Miller (He was signed to a 3-year deal as a reserve/future deal)
$2M

At most, $95M of the expected $100M+. And you need $10M for the rookie salaries.

Then Brooks and Reid are possibly gone,both in contract years. if rookie WR emerges it possibly makes Torrey expand able. Also salary cap will go up, so I think we can still be in a position where we can easily make a few moves and upgrade a couple spots if we choose to.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 24, 2017 at 3:11 PM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Oh we can, we can definitely fit them under the cap, and still have some leftover, I don't think we'll go buck wild in free agency, but we're going to be in on the top guys, only Cleveland can outbid us, and we're more desirable IMO than the Browns are.

It'll come down to structure, obviously Cousins would have the highest cap number in 2017 of anyone on the roster, then we can structure contracts for guys like Williams or Poe, Ingram, Zietler, Hyde, Kerley, etc...

I'd look at certain players agents wise, the 49ers have a great relationship with Drew Rosenhaus, no matter how much of a jerk he comes off as, It's basically for show, and self promotion, but he's done team friendly deals, Anthony Davis, Frank Gore, NaVorro Bowman(Both extensions), Torrey Smith, Ian Williams. I don't know exactly who he reps that are FAs, but I would not be surprised if we look at some of his clients.

Great info - thank you, AB. THIS IS WHY I VISIT THE 'ZONE! (...in a tone similar to, "THAT'S THE WAY YOU DEBATE!", from 'Old School).
Share 49ersWebzone