LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 378 users in the forums

Roster Analysis: Before the Draft and Free Agency

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Wow - I'm already reading some BIG dreams when it comes to W-L's for this next year. I think everyone needs to chill a bit on almost a .500 record prediction.

5-11 is probably a reasonable expectation (4-12 very possible) and anything 6-10 and higher would be amazing.

It should be all over the map right now given the unknowns. If they get Cousins from DC he would really help implement Shanahan's system quickly and expedite the success curb. Then if they get at least two really good FAs on defense and one on offense they could jump up to an even record pretty easily.

QB Cousins
RB Hyde
FB?
WR Smith
WR?
LT Staley
LG Beadles
C Kigore
RG Garnett
RT Brown
TE McDonald

DE Buckner
NT/DT?
DE Armstead
(4th DL Blair or Dial)
ILB Bowman
ILB Armstrong or ?
OLB Brooks/Lynch
OLB ? Harold?
CB Brock
CB Ward
(CB Robinson)
SS Tartt
FS Reid

So they are a WR (Jeffrey would be good) and a couple of LBs away from being decent. That is n't a major change from last year but would really help. With Shanahan installing a better offense and a better defense all might be much better. A key will be the young guys making some strides.
I don't understand everyone's fascination with Kirk Cousins.. yes the guy threw for a lot of yards but that's it. He had a lot of talent in DC but couldn't even win a game when it really mattered. DJax.. Garçon.. Crowder.. Reed are all better WRs/TEs than what we have. I just don't see him as having the it factor that we need at QB. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by Jaysimms:
I don't understand everyone's fascination with Kirk Cousins.. yes the guy threw for a lot of yards but that's it. He had a lot of talent in DC but couldn't even win a game when it really mattered. DJax.. Garçon.. Crowder.. Reed are all better WRs/TEs than what we have. I just don't see him as having the it factor that we need at QB. Just my opinion.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00.htm

I am not entirely sold on him but he looks like a good possibility. Takes more than one player to lose a game.

My fascination is due to Shanahan's relationship and the fact that he could help install the offense very quickly. A rookie, or vet unfamiliar with Shanahan's offense would start from scratch and take much longer to get the offense in sync. I'd rather rely on developing a rookie but if they can get Cousins for a reasonable price...great. Of course, my second reason is that the HC/OC should get the QB he wants, so if he doesn't want Cousins...fine.
Originally posted by English:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00.htm

I am not entirely sold on him but he looks like a good possibility. Takes more than one player to lose a game.

Absolutely true. But looking at his stats, aside from a few games most of his yards and stats came against bad teams and weak secondaries. I'm not sold on him at all.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My fascination is due to Shanahan's relationship and the fact that he could help install the offense very quickly. A rookie, or vet unfamiliar with Shanahan's offense would start from scratch and take much longer to get the offense in sync. I'd rather rely on developing a rookie but if they can get Cousins for a reasonable price...great. Of course, my second reason is that the HC/OC should get the QB he wants, so if he doesn't want Cousins...fine.

If Shannahan wants him I'm all for it. Just from the outside looking in I'd rather some other team pick him up or trade for him and his high price tag. Hopefully we sign a vet and draft a rookie qb or even two like D.C. did. But must wait to see. I'm hoping for Patrick Mahomes in the 2nd or 3rd. The more I watch the more I like the kid.
It should be all over the map right now given the unknowns. If they get Cousins from DC he would really help implement Shanahan's system quickly and expedite the success curb. Then if they get at least two really good FAs on defense and one on offense they could jump up to an even record pretty easily.

QB Cousins
RB Hyde
FB?
WR Smith
WR?
LT Staley
LG Beadles
C Kigore
RG Garnett
RT Brown
TE McDonald

DE Buckner
NT/DT?
DE Armstead
(4th DL Blair or Dial)
ILB Bowman
ILB Armstrong or ?
OLB Brooks/Lynch
OLB ? Harold?
CB Brock
CB Ward
(CB Robinson)
SS Tartt
FS Reid

So they are a WR (Jeffrey would be good) and a couple of LBs away from being decent. That is n't a major change from last year but would really help. With Shanahan installing a better offense and a better defense all might be much better. A key will be the young guys making some strides.

Ingram and a stud NT is a must in free agency!

Cousins for our #2 is fair but the Skins aren't dumb enough to let him go.

Inconsistency aside, I'm amazed that everyone thinks we have a shot at landing him. The Redskins already said they're prepared to franchise him, and Cousins already said he will play under the tag. That means at a minimum he will be a Redskin the upcoming season, and means the two sides have at least another year to hash out a long term contract.

Bottom line, unless the 'Skins decide (for some reason) to do us a solid and straight up release Cousins this offseason.....it's likely that he's going to be in DC a very long time.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Ingram and a stud NT is a must in free agency!

Cousins for our #2 is fair but the Skins aren't dumb enough to let him go.

If he assures them he will be gone next year for no compensation (or minor) why would they refuse to think about it? I guess if they have no one else they trust they might want to draft someone to sit behind him.

Yup. He'd basically be another coach freeing up Kyle some. Equally important, he'd instantly bring credibility to the team and make us very attractive in free agency again. You can't put a price tag on that.

What free agent wouldn't want to play for Kyle/Cousins in this system?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM ]

Pretty spot on post. Agree with 95% of what you wrote. Quinten dial is pretty solid against the run if healthy, glen Dorsey is a cut. Ponder is a cheap asset who can back up. I felt Christian ponder should have got the start the last two games of the season to see what we had with him. He looked good in pre season. Heard he did well as the scout team during the year. I would trade Aaron lynch. Also if anthony Davis wants to play trade him so we get nice compensation.
Coming off the edge...I'm curious who would become our best LEO...Blair? Lynch? Harold? Carradine?

This is going to be a crucial position. With 4 men up front, we should be better stopping the run but we need those ends to be able to pass rush. Lynch is an ideal SAM in the 3-4 where he's on the left side of the defense. This will be a hand in the dirt, on the LOS and coming off the right end position.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Coming off the edge...I'm curious who would become our best LEO...Blair? Lynch? Harold? Carradine?

This is going to be a crucial position. With 4 men up front, we should be better stopping the run but we need those ends to be able to pass rush. Lynch is an ideal SAM in the 3-4 where he's on the left side of the defense. This will be a hand in the dirt, on the LOS and coming off the right end position.

I'm hoping tank was just misused, but boy did he look slow last year. I'm going to guess Harold or Blair out of that bunch. Honestly though, I'm hoping this is addressed in free agency or the draft.
[ Edited by Nuns on Feb 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM ]
This is the year to not worry about trying the compensatory pick formula. ZERO niner Free Agents will draw huge contracts, so the niners should spend spend spend this year.

Melvin Ingram, come on down

Levine Toililo TE Atlanta come on down

Brian Hoyer- come on down

Dontari Poe come on down
Originally posted by NCommand:

It'll be really interesting to see Blair's development from year one to year two. If he can make major strides, we could be better off than we think at the DE position. He did pick up three sacks in limited action as a rookie, so naturally you'd expect him to build on that.
Share 49ersWebzone