LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

The Baalkie Effect, and its hang over.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Baalkie Effect, and its hang over.

Baalke Legacy: 49erCapHeaven
Fair chance to compete for starting job
After being the Giants' QB2 behind Eli Manning for the 2008 and '09 seasons, David Carr knew he wanted one last shot to earn a starting job. One team that seemed to be a perfect fit: the San Francisco 49ers.

Want more than stats and scores? Head to Sidelines, where NFL Media reporters dig deep to find the compelling, thoughtful stories that are the heartbeat of this game.
The 2010 Niners were led by head coach Mike Singletary, with Alex Smith as QB1. When weighing his options, Carr knew he and Smith would be under similar contracts -- a great sign for the veteran.

"That means it will be fair," Carr said. "If he's making a ton more than me, they want him to play."

After that season, which saw Carr play in one game, Singletary was fired and the 49ers brought in head coach Jim Harbaugh, while director of player personnel Trent Baalke was promoted to general manager. Again a free agent, Carr was considering re-signing with San Francisco or heading back to New York. His decision was made after a meeting with Harbaugh.

"I told him that I'd love to play for him because I liked the staff a lot," Carr said. "He said, 'We'd love to have you stay here and compete for the job.' But he and the new GM were never on the same page, and the contract I was offered wasn't even close to the one Alex was offered.

"So I said, 'Thanks, Jim. But no thanks.' "

Harbaugh didn't give up quite yet, but in reality, he understood Carr's stance.

"I told him, 'You know how it is. You've played quarterback,' " Carr recalled. "Jim looked at me and said, 'Yeah, I get it.' So I headed back to New York."

Copied this from an article on NFL.com by Brooke Cersosimo about how free agents can be won over. The section on Carr offered a little insight on how from the beginning the relationship between harbaugh and baalke was already rocky. Doomed to fail from the beginning I guess and I still can't believe Jed chose him over harbs. That's all in the past and I'm ready to ride with lynch and shanahan.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Fair chance to compete for starting job
After being the Giants' QB2 behind Eli Manning for the 2008 and '09 seasons, David Carr knew he wanted one last shot to earn a starting job. One team that seemed to be a perfect fit: the San Francisco 49ers.

Want more than stats and scores? Head to Sidelines, where NFL Media reporters dig deep to find the compelling, thoughtful stories that are the heartbeat of this game.
The 2010 Niners were led by head coach Mike Singletary, with Alex Smith as QB1. When weighing his options, Carr knew he and Smith would be under similar contracts -- a great sign for the veteran.

"That means it will be fair," Carr said. "If he's making a ton more than me, they want him to play."

After that season, which saw Carr play in one game, Singletary was fired and the 49ers brought in head coach Jim Harbaugh, while director of player personnel Trent Baalke was promoted to general manager. Again a free agent, Carr was considering re-signing with San Francisco or heading back to New York. His decision was made after a meeting with Harbaugh.

"I told him that I'd love to play for him because I liked the staff a lot," Carr said. "He said, 'We'd love to have you stay here and compete for the job.' But he and the new GM were never on the same page, and the contract I was offered wasn't even close to the one Alex was offered.

"So I said, 'Thanks, Jim. But no thanks.' "

Harbaugh didn't give up quite yet, but in reality, he understood Carr's stance.

"I told him, 'You know how it is. You've played quarterback,' " Carr recalled. "Jim looked at me and said, 'Yeah, I get it.' So I headed back to New York."

Copied this from an article on NFL.com by Brooke Cersosimo about how free agents can be won over. The section on Carr offered a little insight on how from the beginning the relationship between harbaugh and baalke was already rocky. Doomed to fail from the beginning I guess and I still can't believe Jed chose him over harbs. That's all in the past and I'm ready to ride with lynch and shanahan.

Weren't the contracts under Paraag's control, not Baalke's. And anyway, why should Carr get offered a reasonable contract?
I'm assuming he saw his value the same as smiths. Baalke had control of the 90 and 53 man roster so if he did want Carr to compete with smith, he would've told paraag to finalize something. Right?
Originally posted by pelos21:
I'm assuming he saw his value the same as smiths. Baalke had control of the 90 and 53 man roster so if he did want Carr to compete with smith, he would've told paraag to finalize something. Right?

i dont know that they ever went public on who had the last word. Carr may have thought he had some value but he had done nothing to justify that.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2017/4/23/15398954/trent-baalke-49ers-draft-picks-last-five-years-analysis

BREAKING: Trent Baalke had a lot of draft picks, did not hit on nearly enough
I'm shocked, SHOCKED!
By David Fucillo on April 23, 2017 7:31 am

"The San Francisco 49ers fired general manager Trent Baalke this year, and lead the NFL with $72,397,252 in cap space. The two facts are related. The 49ers spent very little in free agency last year, but the cap space is due as much to poor drafting as anything else. The 49ers have not had nearly enough players worthy of a sizable contract extension in recent years.

Recently the New York Post studied the last five years of NFL draft classes to assess who was best and worst. They base the rankings on games played, Pro Bowl appearances, first-team All-Pro selections, and various awards like MVP and Rookie of the Year. They factor in how much the team has won during the five years, given that players on losing teams likely have an easier path to playing time. They don't clarify how they weight each measure.

It should surprise nobody the 49ers end up near the bottom of the list. They rank No. 28. Here's what they had to say about the 49ers:

GM Trent Baalke was fired at the end of the 2016 season after he let this roster deteriorate from a Super Bowl team to bottom-of-the-barrel. The 49ers had more picks (51) than any team in the NFL over the five years, which shows having a lot of picks does not matter if you pick poorly.
That really is the biggest strike against Baalke. One of his strengths as GM was his ability to acquire a lot of draft picks. His biggest weakness was missing on too many of those picks. The 49ers found some quality players over the years (well, minus 2012), but the lack of contract extensions is just one of many examples of how Baalke failed as a GM"
I think Harbaugh took it very well, looking back at the situation.

I would have choked him until someone got me off of him. Don't say I never warned anyone. What a waste of years.

It's hard enough coaching a team but dealing with an incompetent GM was our demise.
I'm really surprised Harbaugh took us to a Super Bowl with this bum as a GM..

[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM ]
The biggest part of or "demise" was when " Denice " got the team from Eddie... Except for the JH years it's been a rocky road....I have hope in the new FO
Originally posted by highway49:
The biggest part of or "demise" was when " Denice " got the team from Eddie... Except for the JH years it's been a rocky road....I have hope in the new FO

Love love love me some Eddie D., but will always have a hard time forgiving him for choosing the real estate company over the team. He is at least equally responsible for the s**t show we've seen since.
I'm curious, who would've baalke picked if he were still gm? I know but still.

Originally posted by gold49digger:

Anyone with an Acl tear.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Anyone with an Acl tear.

Make sure they have long arms too
Originally posted by Antix:
Make sure they have long arms too

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2017/4/23/15398954/trent-baalke-49ers-draft-picks-last-five-years-analysis

BREAKING: Trent Baalke had a lot of draft picks, did not hit on nearly enough
I'm shocked, SHOCKED!
By David Fucillo on April 23, 2017 7:31 am

"The San Francisco 49ers fired general manager Trent Baalke this year, and lead the NFL with $72,397,252 in cap space. The two facts are related. The 49ers spent very little in free agency last year, but the cap space is due as much to poor drafting as anything else. The 49ers have not had nearly enough players worthy of a sizable contract extension in recent years.

Recently the New York Post studied the last five years of NFL draft classes to assess who was best and worst. They base the rankings on games played, Pro Bowl appearances, first-team All-Pro selections, and various awards like MVP and Rookie of the Year. They factor in how much the team has won during the five years, given that players on losing teams likely have an easier path to playing time. They don't clarify how they weight each measure.

It should surprise nobody the 49ers end up near the bottom of the list. They rank No. 28. Here's what they had to say about the 49ers:

GM Trent Baalke was fired at the end of the 2016 season after he let this roster deteriorate from a Super Bowl team to bottom-of-the-barrel. The 49ers had more picks (51) than any team in the NFL over the five years, which shows having a lot of picks does not matter if you pick poorly.
That really is the biggest strike against Baalke. One of his strengths as GM was his ability to acquire a lot of draft picks. His biggest weakness was missing on too many of those picks. The 49ers found some quality players over the years (well, minus 2012), but the lack of contract extensions is just one of many examples of how Baalke failed as a GM"

Here it is again....too many picks, he went quantity over quality...and you can go back to day one and that is proven out. I posted more times than i could count a similar thing, but he still kept stacking up those picks and we kept getting about what one would expect...we got lousy. Lots of picks tho. That is why i have already raised the question, with 10 picks are they going to use some to trade up....i hope.
Jed should hold a special ceremony and fire Baalke again.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?

Have lynch fire him.
Share 49ersWebzone