The Baalkie Effect, and its hang over.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Baalkie Effect, and its hang over.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i remember a time when my boy sus and I, and a couple others, were ridiculed for questioning Baalke's picks.

Top 5 GM

Top 5 QB

The last one we took was Smith and that was a mistake. I wonder if that has made them gun-shy?

Oh I'm sure! Baalke seemed fearful of making the same mistake twice (QB's and WR's)...but had no issues with money-ball ACL's. Arg. But this is why it's refreshing to have a new set of eyes in here. And exciting!

It's interesting, the one thing that Kyle and Lynch know already, and Baalke admitted, is that you need that FQB. That was the first thing they stated in interviews. Their jobs, literally, depend on it. So it would not surprise me one bit to "overspend" in draft capital in year 1 to get their Kirk Cousins or Jimmy Garoppolo. They get either or those two guys, in their mind, they are set and can start building around them (add to the WR core, FB to pair with Hyde, etc.) over the years.

So stay tuned. Baalke never got that (until it was too little too late)...these two already get it.

Baalke or "analytics" got scared to make a mistake on a QB? Alex Smith was drafted before Baalke took over.

I will believe that Football Operations gets it when they do something. I like Schlynch and I hope they have the juice to change the organizational philosophies.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Which of "Baalkie's Bums" gets cut first?

"Baalke's bums" may not look like bums in the 4-3 defense. He drafted a lot players that played in 4-3 in college and tried to make them fit in a 3-4, now quite a few of his offensive players can kick rocks
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Which of "Baalkie's Bums" gets cut first?

"Baalke's bums" may not look like bums in the 4-3 defense. He drafted a lot players that played in 4-3 in college and tried to make them fit in a 3-4, now quite a few of his offensive players can kick rocks

True and the scheme should be much less complicated too and quicker to pick up vs. the challenging Mangini/O'Neil schemes.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i remember a time when my boy sus and I, and a couple others, were ridiculed for questioning Baalke's picks.

Top 5 GM

Top 5 QB

The last one we took was Smith and that was a mistake. I wonder if that has made them gun-shy?

Oh I'm sure! Baalke seemed fearful of making the same mistake twice (QB's and WR's)...but had no issues with money-ball ACL's. Arg. But this is why it's refreshing to have a new set of eyes in here. And exciting!

It's interesting, the one thing that Kyle and Lynch know already, and Baalke admitted, is that you need that FQB. That was the first thing they stated in interviews. Their jobs, literally, depend on it. So it would not surprise me one bit to "overspend" in draft capital in year 1 to get their Kirk Cousins or Jimmy Garoppolo. They get either or those two guys, in their mind, they are set and can start building around them (add to the WR core, FB to pair with Hyde, etc.) over the years.

So stay tuned. Baalke never got that (until it was too little too late)...these two already get it.

Baalke or "analytics" got scared to make a mistake on a QB? Alex Smith was drafted before Baalke took over.

I will believe that Football Operations gets it when they do something. I like Schlynch and I hope they have the juice to change the organizational philosophies.

Yup...but he was at the table when it happened so it may have played into it...then again, we never got another top 5 pick until now either so. This is going to be one very intriguing off season in FA and the draft...esp. re: QB.

I absolutely love Kyle and Lynch is growing on my quickly but like he said, what will change the skepticism is by making excellent player acquisitions. Truth.
I think its pretty safe to say Baalke drafted some sorry players, especially offensivly *cough WR Cough*

but I do believe he also drafted quite a few guys with upside potential, but they weren't meant for our team/scheme/coaches. I really believe that was the biggest issue.

He drafted who HE wanted, not what was best for our coaches and their scheme. We have so many players that didn't fit the scheme of chip kelly and I believe Harbaugh saw this happening, he saw that he wasn't getting players he believed to be right for his system.

I don't think our team is as talentless as our record shows, especially on defense if we can stay healthy. Our Offense is where it gets bad. Our WR, QB and depth at RB are serious issues.
I think the biggest hangover might be the fact that he spent multiple high draft picks on 5 techniques and Safties that we aren't even sure can play. I think Armstead could potentially be a bust and I truly believe that Tartt and Ward will not be anything special going forward. Reid's play is on the decline and not sure if the concussions have played a part in that.

This matters because on my big board I got Allen, Hooker, and Adams in my top 5. Do we not draft those guys, when they are (in my opinion) the best players on the board because we have so frequently in the past? I think that could hurt us but I also have faith in Lynch to understand the talent gaps between those guys and the rest.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Feb 16, 2017 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
I am still stunned as to how awful this guy was, and how blind everyone was on. You can't make up in a fiction or comedy novel some of the stuff he did.

+1

Not Everyone......

I'm still recovering from the debates or arguments for this cancer. I think I got dumber or lost some brain cells along the way, listening to some of the excuses made for him...

Well, I apologize, as I was one of those Baalke defenders...

My hate for Greg Roman blinded my judgment to everything else. I only came around when the Kelley disaster took place. In theory, I thought he had some good ideas... But in reality, there's a reason no one else was doing the same thing.

Life... Makes us all fools from time to time. Just don't get fooled twice I guess.

All good.

I'm just sending friendly jabs stirring the pot. I got my two wishes. Baalke is not touching this draft and Mike controls the 53 man roster. As long as we all know he failed.

Dem just jokes
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 16, 2017 at 3:25 PM ]
I'll be excited if and when they take a QB in rounds 1-4.

The irony is that we may still not.

Lynch/Shanahan still have a ton to prove in the real world of talent recognition/acquisition. But I certainly like the tone set so far and have high hopes for both as a tandem...the whole FO actually.

YES!
I always enjoyed watching Baalke manipulate the draft-- moving up and down to acquire extra picks and get the players he wanted. Trouble was, the players he wanted didn't seem to fit the coaches schemes, and he never seemed to see beyond a player's stats and physical dimensions. Except for Bowman I can't think of a truly great pick he made--alot of good and bad, hits and misses, but nothing really outstanding. Very few real leaders--what you might expect from a personnel guy; not what you hope for from a dynamic GM, leader of men. I hope Lynch changes that.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I am pumped TB is gone.....

RIP Tampa Bay

This may be my favorite post in this thread.

I am so pumped for an offseason with out Baaaalkie! He never even tried to hit it out of the park, every off season was him was a series of bunts, single, and strike outs! The man was a coward!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Feb 17, 2017 at 7:17 AM ]
Those guys are all hall of famers.

Just wait on it.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I always enjoyed watching Baalke manipulate the draft-- moving up and down to acquire extra picks and get the players he wanted. Trouble was, the players he wanted didn't seem to fit the coaches schemes, and he never seemed to see beyond a player's stats and physical dimensions. Except for Bowman I can't think of a truly great pick he made--alot of good and bad, hits and misses, but nothing really outstanding. Very few real leaders--what you might expect from a personnel guy; not what you hope for from a dynamic GM, leader of men. I hope Lynch changes that.

Always great to see an OND post!

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Dawn of a new era...let's enjoy the ride/process.
Share 49ersWebzone