LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Thanks rathman for what you did as a player and coach gonna miss you!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
RATHMAN is an idiot for not wanting to learn more... it shows me that he's got no self confidence when it comes to coaching...

How much can he really give or teach a young RB to become great??? RBs, (IMO), it's either you're great or you're a backup...
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He has nothing to do with our team anymore so why is this here
Former players are always welcomed here

over rated in my opinion. when we retire their jersey then we welcome them back. when joe left he was just another qb to me

You gotta refine your trolling technique.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

over rated in my opinion. when we retire their jersey then we welcome them back. when joe left he was just another qb to me

jeez you can't just say one nice thing and move on?

how about don't click on the thread then
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Thanks for the memories, Tom.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9moon:
RATHMAN is an idiot for not wanting to learn more... it shows me that he's got no self confidence when it comes to coaching...

How much can he really give or teach a young RB to become great??? RBs, (IMO), it's either you're great or you're a backup...

this post is silly.

There are position coaches who stay position coaches for 30 years cause that's what they like to do.

So a guys an idiot for not doing what someone else wants him to do?
lol
I remember a very very cold Chicago day when the 49ers went to play the Bears in the NFC Championship game. The long post pattern that Rice ran for a 70yard touchdown catch was due in large part to Rathman. Singletary was the Bears middle LB and came blitzing and had a head of steam but Rathman stepped in front of Montana and stop Singletary cold.......it was beautiful and that was the first touchdown of the game and I think they went on to win 23-0. I will miss him also.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:

jeez you can't just say one nice thing and move on?

how about don't click on the thread then
i got alot to say
Don't forget that you were WANTED here !!

But you chose NOT to stay!!

He was wanted here as a "assistant something something something"

Nice that he had the backbone to say no and move on
Originally posted by Iupati77:
Tom Rathman has always been my favorite 49er. His last name has been security question answers for me, passwords, screen names, etc.

Hmm . . .
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Don't forget that you were WANTED here !!

But you chose NOT to stay!!

He was wanted here as a "assistant something something something"

Nice that he had the backbone to say no and move on
or stubborn enough and not notice that it could mean a future promotion in the NFL

Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Thank you, Tom, but this franchise needed a completely clean slate.

Except for the head of football operations.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mdieg953552:
I remember a very very cold Chicago day when the 49ers went to play the Bears in the NFC Championship game. The long post pattern that Rice ran for a 70yard touchdown catch was due in large part to Rathman. Singletary was the Bears middle LB and came blitzing and had a head of steam but Rathman stepped in front of Montana and stop Singletary cold.......it was beautiful and that was the first touchdown of the game and I think they went on to win 23-0. I will miss him also.

I still remember how he felt that they were gonna lose the Super Bowl to John Elway and the gang... why, he could not ever explain it..

But anyhow, I just wish that he would stay, even if learning new position coach.. again, the OL woulda been a building block for him.. help out the young OL be on the same page w/the RBs in certain situations..

Was he ask to take a paycut??
  • jcs
  • Veteran

lol...talk about walking in another mans shoes. He likes what he does and doesn't want more. What is wrong with that?
Thanks for the great memories, Tom. Hope you find a running backs coaching position on a good team - and another Frank Gore to coach.
Good coach and great player. I respect his reasons for leaving,

"He was going to bring Bobby in to coach running backs and that's great. He should feel comfortable with the guys that he brings in here and that he works with. I just thought – taking a step back – I didn't want to have anybody to feel uncomfortable with me being there so I just decided to take a step back and let these guys go. Let them develop their own relationships with these guys, mentor them, and they're in good hands.

Bobby Turner's a damn good coach so Carlos [Hyde] is in great hands. Nothing but positive things to say. What works out best for me is to try and go out and get another running back coaching job. Unfortunately, that's going to be someplace else but that's just the nature of the business."
Share 49ersWebzone