LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 193 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm reluctant to take Barrows' word on this. Some of the lineups he wrote simply don't make sense, unless we were in an over front, or sub. Tank at "big End", and Blair at Leo? Does that truly make sense to anyone? Or is it more likely the exact opposite?
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I'm reluctant to take Barrows' word on this. Some of the lineups he wrote simply don't make sense, unless we were in an over front, or sub. Tank at "big End", and Blair at Leo? Does that truly make sense to anyone? Or is it more likely the exact opposite?

Agreed...Tank at the 6T over the TE had to be in sub packages (a position Saleh noted he'd "whip" TE's at). And Blair played LEO b/c AA wasn't working those reps so he split with Lynch's lazy fat ass there (and probably did better too). So really, other than Johnson finally getting some starting love and the big boys inside at the 3T, it looks right to me.
I imagine Tank is the backup for AA. There's no way they actually see AA as a Leo outside of small package. Saleh would have to be on crack.
I still think we haven't had a clever D.C for a long time. We may be very surprised seeing who ends up where if we take Solomon or allen.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Agreed...Tank at the 6T over the TE had to be in sub packages (a position Saleh noted he'd "whip" TE's at). And Blair played LEO b/c AA wasn't working those reps so he split with Lynch's lazy fat ass there (and probably did better too). So really, other than Johnson finally getting some starting love and the big boys inside at the 3T, it looks right to me.

Check the Lynch thread.. his weight is officially on track, even if you wanna take the for now approach haha. Video proof.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Check the Lynch thread.. his weight is officially on track, even if you wanna take the for now approach haha. Video proof.

Yeah, it's not as bad as last year but clearly he's not coming in in tip top shape and Cohn also noted he was sucking wind a lot too. That's got to tell ShanaLynch his real dedication here. They'll be drafting a LEO high this draft anyhow so he's a PT player...might even get cut.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I imagine Tank is the backup for AA. There's no way they actually see AA as a Leo outside of small package. Saleh would have to be on crack.

I don't see them as similar at all. AA is a brick building, holding his spot against triple teams. Tank is more a speed rush guy who is strong but more mobile. If you are saying Tank will come in on passing downs I guess that could be the case. One analysis I read predicted the niners were going elsewhere at #2 even if Garrett was there because they had similar guys in Tank, Blair, Harold and Lynch. Seems a reach but...maybe.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I don't see them as similar at all. AA is a brick building, holding his spot against triple teams. Tank is more a speed rush guy who is strong but more mobile. If you are saying Tank will come in on passing downs I guess that could be the case. One analysis I read predicted the niners were going elsewhere at #2 even if Garrett was there because they had similar guys in Tank, Blair, Harold and Lynch. Seems a reach but...maybe.

I'd definitely say Tank is more of a situational 5 if he makes the team which isn't a given. You put him in to pass rush, Dial would be AA, Buckner's similar style backup. Right now they're testing Blair at Leo but I think in the end him and Carradine will be fighting for a job on who can be a poor man's Bennett. The undersized 5.
Lynch gets the players (but don't think Saleh didn't want Solomon too) and Saleh figures out where to put them. Tough job but there will be situations, maybe from play to play, where guys are moving around...altho probably it will be AA moreso than anyone else. Still Saleh has to figure out where to play his pieces.
So w/ Solomon probably playing LDE on 1st & 2nd downs and probably inside in passing situations, who's gonna be the LEO?

Lynch? Tank?
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Apr 27, 2017 at 8:59 PM ]

• thl408
Hope he likes his new toys.

"Moving forward, stopping the run is our number one priority. The way we align, our demeanor, the responsibility of the defensive players, we will stop the run on this defense."
Saleh is getting spoiled lol.
It's going to be interesting what they do with this d because the odds of getting a ready to play leo now are diminished.

Thomas, Buckner, Mitchell, AA
Smith, Bowman, Foster

Certainly better against the run but really not that imposing pass rush wise.
Front 7 looking pretty damn good, safeties aren't bad, but can we get at least one solid CB at some point?
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
So w/ Solomon probably playing LDE on 1st & 2nd downs and probably inside in passing situations, who's gonna be the LEO?

Lynch? Tank?

Want Lawson
Share 49ersWebzone