There are 271 users in the forums

RETIRING 94

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Don't want to retire any more #s
I say no, we are running out of numbers. Just put Smith in the ring of honor like other teams do.
Originally posted by kazak13:
no player should be bigger than the team.. look at Maradona in barcelona. wearing 10.. then Rivaldo wore it.. then Ronaldhinio, and now Messi... i think that if we see another wide receiver stud wearing 80 it will make us think back of the days when Jerry Rice wore it.. if the number is not used and not worn its forgotten...

lol wtf, how would 80 be forgotten? Itd be forgotten much faster if other players wore it and made a mockery of it. Imagine if A.J. Jenkins wore 80? Its disrespectful to let anyone else wear 80, 16, 42, or 8 in particular.

I will never understand the defiance by some fans who hate number retirements. Why does it matter to you?
Originally posted by Predator85:
I say no, we are running out of numbers. Just put Smith in the ring of honor like other teams do.

Were not running out of numbers.

There are 99 numbers to choose from, and only 12 are retired. 53 man roster. So 86 available numbers for 53 active players. Considering weve retired 12 numbers in 70 years, and had one of the greatest dynasties everin that span, id say itll be a while before we retire 33 more.

The NFL probably wont exist by then. 12 numbers every 70 years at best? Thatd be what, 193 years from now? Id say were good to retire a number every 7-10 years for the guys who earned it.

That said, Id retire 52, 21, and 97. Maybe 53 someday.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Dana Stubblefield. At least he won dpoy

Smith should have won it instead of that retarded Suggs. To me, he the real mvp

He was MVP that year. Unfortunately our D was so dominant that some of the votes got split between Smith, Bowman, and Willis.

Not to mention that Suggs is and always has been a huge attention whore and the voters loved him.
Marques Douglas
Share 49ersWebzone