LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Be honest: Do you think the fanbase is too optimistic right now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Be honest: Do you think the fanbase is too optimistic right now?

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
My optimism is tempered by the reality that this 'turnaround' is going to take 3-4 years to complete this the right way. Better to be pleasantly suprised if it happens sooner rather than be bitterly disappointed with unrealistic timetables.

Well said. It's gonna take several years to rebuild this roster and we're all excited with our new GM and HC. Especially since BAALKE IS GONE!
Yes. The fans are over confident. It will take time to fix this mess. But this is a better hire than the last 2 one year wonders IMO. But stepping up from those was not a real high bar. We still have Jed, John and Denise. So I suspect they will find a way to destroy anything good that gets going. They usually do without exception.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
My optimism is tempered by the reality that this 'turnaround' is going to take 3-4 years to complete this the right way. Better to be pleasantly suprised if it happens sooner rather than be bitterly disappointed with unrealistic timetables.

Well said. It's gonna take several years to rebuild this roster and we're all excited with our new GM and HC. Especially since BAALKE IS GONE!

Yes indeed, very well said and exactly how I feel.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. The fans are over confident. It will take time to fix this mess. But this is a better hire than the last 2 one year wonders IMO. But stepping up from those was not a real high bar. We still have Jed, John and Denise. So I suspect they will find a way to destroy anything good that gets going. They usually do without exception.

They wouldnt have bothered to assemble this type of quality pairing, especially one designed to mesh well together and allow them to step away from the football operations if they were going to meddle and ruin it.

I think John Lynch is a very smart, very savvy man, and he would've smelled the stink of dysfunction immediately if it was still in play.

He is only going to get one shot to be a GM, and if he fails his career as a GM will be over. If he felt like this situation was toxic, or was a waste of time, he wouldn't have left a great job at FOX, where he was being groomed to take over for Aikman as the top color guy.

Jed and Paraag passed the tests in Lynch and Shanahan's eyes of whether or not this was a good place to be. I dont think theyre good enough actors to fool a couple of smart football guys into accepting jobs. Maybe that means Baalke was the only cancer. Maybe it was all 3 of them, and Jed and Paraag decided to end the BS and get the organization back in the right hands. Who knows.
I don't necessarily agree that it has to take a long time. With one great draft, the continued development of the young roster, and some good free agency pickups, Things can start to look up pretty fast. Of course getting a quarterback who can run his offense is going to be a big part of that.

I am not saying that is going to happen but it could.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The fan base is saying all the right things. But somehow I don't think everybody is going to be so patient while we're losing during the season. People are going to b***h because the niners didn't draft or sign who they wanted. There will still be plenty to b***h about. So all this talk of patience is great right now but it won't last for long.
Originally posted by Antix:
The fan base is saying all the right things. But somehow I don't think everybody is going to be so patient while we're losing during the season. People are going to b***h because the niners didn't draft or sign who they wanted. There will still be plenty to b***h about. So all this talk of patience is great right now but it won't last for long.

you can bet. But it will be like this forever and always.
Originally posted by Lurker:
I don't necessarily agree that it has to take a long time. With one great draft, the continued development of the young roster, and some good free agency pickups, Things can start to look up pretty fast. Of course getting a quarterback who can run his offense is going to be a big part of that.

I am not saying that is going to happen but it could.

Theres less talent on the roster, but Harbaugh turned the team from 6-10 to 13-3 immediately. It doesn't have to take a long time, but im not expecting to be in the playoff race for a couple years.
What knd of a goofy poll is this? The only blockhead who is overly optimistic is york. Every fan i know would be very happy with four wins. Another two win year and #2 pick not so bad either.
N
The one measure i will hold staff accountable is tackling. I think we canbeN a better tackling team in one year.
I'd say it's nice to have a little optimism around here for a change. We can always go back to being miserable when we get tickets directly under the sun at Levi's. I mean 4 years now this is Niner fans real season! The off-season it's what we do. The actual regular season is our true off season. We are in our element, optimism now! Misery Later
[ Edited by ayleswbj11 on Feb 10, 2017 at 6:39 AM ]

Not at all. There is genuine reason for optimism now but I think most fans have realistic expectations --- maybe 6-7 wins. I think we're right where we should be.
as long as Baalke is not drafting ACL players and only DB's .....

Shannahan is offensive minded so lets hope they finally address the QB and wr position....
Skeptical at best tbh

I'm in the east bay and noone wears Niner gear anymore, even during the season.

Thanks, Jed Trump
I just wish we did this a year ago so that we would be 1 year into the rebuild instead of 0.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We were who we thought we were (2016).

We'll soon find out who we're going to be...
Share 49ersWebzone