There are 147 users in the forums

Martin Mayhew-New GM-Washington Football Team

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Don't worry buddy.. Mae Mae was never much of a FS and sure he aint much of a talent scout either..

We safe baby!!

we have Jimmy " THE GIFT " Garoppolo !!!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Is this a Rooney rule thing?

Not sure. They already interviewed Lake Dawson & Jimmy Raye III.

Its reported that they want to make Hurney their permanent GM. Interviewing several minority executive candidates could be an attempt to avoid some of the criticism that Oakland received over the Gruden hire.
Originally posted by NCommand:
It sounds like he's only in the pool and they already have an inside front runner.

Yeah I think Hurney will be the GM
  • thl408
Originally posted by Jcool:

Not sure. They already interviewed Lake Dawson & Jimmy Raye III.

Ah ok. Guess not then.
Panthers fishing for contract numbers on Norwell
It sounds like he's only in the pool and they already have an inside front runner.

This. These interviews are basically a dog and pony show. Prob doing favors for people by getting their names out there. It has always been assumed that Hurney is going to be the GM once again.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yep this was always Hurney's job to lose. Panthers are at least showing a "process" to their decision but theres no doubt in my mind Hurney will be their guy.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Yep this was always Hurney's job to lose. Panthers are at least showing a "process" to their decision but theres no doubt in my mind Hurney will be their guy.

Yeah I agree, I like who we have in our FO and would like to have some continuity for at least one more off season....as long as we hold onto Peters for the long haul I'm fine though.
Yeah I agree, I like who we have in our FO and would like to have some continuity for at least one more off season....as long as we hold onto Peters for the long haul I'm fine though.

Agree that holding on to our Peters is a good thing.

Why was Hurney removed as their GM anyways?
I'm not an expert, but hearing various podcasts, beat writers, even the frequent posters here in the zone, it seems like our poor record can largely be attributed to lack of talent over scheme. Our drafts prior to Lynch/Peters coming on were deplorable, and for the most part their draft picks have been decent (save for sophomore slumps). What does bother me has been the pro player scouting:
1) We've overpaid for bad free agents (Malcolm Smith, Earl Mitchell, Jonathan Cooper, Attaochu);
2) Made some trades with very little in return (Shon Coleman for a 7th? Vance Mac Donald and a 5th Rd for a 4th Rd Pick?? Harold for conditional 7th?)
3) Not traded away players for additional trade picks before the deadline (Armstead? Garcon? Garnett?)
4) And been largely dormant on the waiver wire. I keep hearing how we don't have any depth, and yet we promote players like Exum, Powell and seem to never poach other practice squad players with our waiver wire position. Basically I can't find anyone this season that was not promoted from our practice squad: Moseley, Dayes, Mabin, Delaire, Toran.
Does anyone else think that Mayhew is not doing a good job? We tend to give credit to Peters for his drafts, but we don't really talk about Mayhew. I hope Lynch does the right thing this offseason and looks for more help on the pro player side of his job. Mayhew is asleep at the wheel. My guess is they make a change with him.
How do you find out if your rookies and your ps players are likely to have what it takes without giving them a shot? With Garoppolo down I am not sure why playong rookies and promoting from the ps is considered a bad thing.
We got a 7th for Coleman? Score
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I'm not an expert, but hearing various podcasts, beat writers, even the frequent posters here in the zone, it seems like our poor record can largely be attributed to lack of talent over scheme. Our drafts prior to Lynch/Peters coming on were deplorable, and for the most part their draft picks have been decent (save for sophomore slumps). What does bother me has been the pro player scouting:
1) We've overpaid for bad free agents (Malcolm Smith, Earl Mitchell, Jonathan Cooper, Attaochu);
2) Made some trades with very little in return (Shon Coleman for a 7th? Vance Mac Donald and a 5th Rd for a 4th Rd Pick?? Harold for conditional 7th?)
3) Not traded away players for additional trade picks before the deadline (Armstead? Garcon? Garnett?)
4) And been largely dormant on the waiver wire. I keep hearing how we don't have any depth, and yet we promote players like Exum, Powell and seem to never poach other practice squad players with our waiver wire position. Basically I can't find anyone this season that was not promoted from our practice squad: Moseley, Dayes, Mabin, Delaire, Toran.
Does anyone else think that Mayhew is not doing a good job? We tend to give credit to Peters for his drafts, but we don't really talk about Mayhew. I hope Lynch does the right thing this offseason and looks for more help on the pro player side of his job. Mayhew is asleep at the wheel. My guess is they make a change with him.

1) When you're starting from scratch you need to overpay. There's really not much else to it. Fortunately most of those contracts we're not stuck with long term and won't hinder us.

2) Harold and McDonald were likely getting cut. You take what you can get for them. Coleman looks like he's being developed. A 7th is no biggie.

3) Is this really a Mayhew thing? Besides, just because half the zone want to trade everyone away doesn't mean the team does. I find this point contradicts your previous one. If there was a good offer they would likely have taken it, but if they took a low offer (the only ones likely available) they'd be lumped in with point 2.

4) Depth is only a problem because our depth are the ones starting. We don't need more waiver wire guys who add little. What we need are legit starters to push guys like Marsh, Mitchell, Colbert, Spoon etc down into the backup slots where they are more than adequate to fill.
Share 49ersWebzone