There are 145 users in the forums

How many wins this year for Shanahan's first season to be considered successful?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many wins this year for Shanahan's first season to be considered successful?

10. Not saying that's realistic but you have to win to be considered a success. The baby steps of 4-12, 7-9 like a certain other coach will quickly fade.
Playoffs or bust!!
I honestly don't care about wins this year, but rather how the execution of the offensive and defensive systems improve through the season.
Originally posted by jcs:
Next year is going to be brutal based on the schedule...we will also continue to turn the roster over next offseason. This is at least a 3 year project before we see some potential IMO. As long as it's not as bad as Chips team it'll be ok, no more bending over and taking it week in week out.

Okay Heath Evans lol
  • BobS
  • Veteran
With Hoyer, Barkley and a rookie at QB 4-12 will be the ceiling. Unless of course there is a Dak Prescott hiding in the draft.
Four wins good improvement. I suspect five though. Shanny knows what hes doing.
As long as we are competitive and not a laughing stock. I don't want to see us unable to game plan for an opponent, unable to score in the second half, never make half time adjustments, stupid penalties ... If those things all improve and we win 5 or more I will consider this season a success.
Originally posted by mojave45:
As long as we are competitive and not a laughing stock. I don't want to see us unable to game plan for an opponent, unable to score in the second half, never make half time adjustments, stupid penalties ... If those things all improve and we win 5 or more I will consider this season a success.

Book the season being a success then. We had two playoff teams beat at the end of the season when we were in position for the #1 pick when we faced Dolphins and Cawks. I'll say it again, this team last year with all the circumstances easily could've had 5-7 wins. Gaps in the NFL are at an all time low. Our division isn't as good as it was before, hoping for the best and always prepared for the worst.
I really don't care much how the record turns out. I'll be ecstatic to see WRs running crisp routes, QBs with touch on their short passes, and an OL able to keep the defense at bay for at least three seconds. On defense I hope the DBs show promise and create more turnovers, the LBs cover well and help stop the run, and the DL learn to stay low and collapse the pockets. Just a few signs of hope.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Book the season being a success then. We had two playoff teams beat at the end of the season when we were in position for the #1 pick when we faced Dolphins and Cawks. I'll say it again, this team last year with all the circumstances easily could've had 5-7 wins. Gaps in the NFL are at an all time low. Our division isn't as good as it was before, hoping for the best and always prepared for the worst.

Yeah, but we are back at square one with a new system, new coaches, and a mostly new team.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Yeah, but we are back at square one with a new system, new coaches, and a mostly new team.

Atleast on offense and defense we brought in a lot of guys to help bring along the system at a faster pace.
I voted 5-7. A +3-5 wins would be HUGE considering all the turnover. I know we are high on Foster being the next great ILB (I.E Willis/Bowman/Norton JR) and most of us think Thomas will be the next "Cowboy Justin Smith" but we are still young.

1. vs CAR 17-23 (L) 0-1 - I think we play a tough game and give the Panthers a much better effort than last year at CAR.
2. @ SEA 17-30 (L) 0-2 - Defense holds tough the first half while Hoyer finds out how tough the NFC west is going to be, Russ is too much for the young up and coming 49ers defense.
3. vs LAR 24-17 (W) 1-2 - Hoyer has himself a day playing efficient and connecting with Garcon. Goff gets picked twice by the improved secondary of the 49ers.
4. @ ARI 20-34 (L) 1-3 - Palmer and Johnson too much too stop. Arizona is improving.
5. @ IND 27-24 (W) 2-3 - Will Luck play? The 49ers have a favorable matchup.
6. @ WAS 23-20 (W) 3-3 - Shanahan knows Cousins tendencies.
7. vs DAL 24-27 (L) 3-4 - Zeke has himself a day.
8. @ PHI 17-20 (L) 3-5 - tough game that slips out of our hands.
9. vs AZ 20-23 (L) 3-6 - 3 game losing streak.
10. vs NYG 31-20 (W) 4-6 - Defense says "enough" steps up and gets the best of Eli Manning.
11. vs SEA 20-24 (L) 4-7 - SEA heating up as they do towards stretch of season.
12. @ CHI 34-10 (W) 5-7 - HUGE win and a momentum boost for young 49ers. Mitch harrassed all game by Thomas and Foster.
13. @ HOU 20-13(W)6-7 - Hoyers homecoming successful as Watson struggles to get the Texans offense going. SF 3-1 last 4 games.
14. vs TEN 24-20 (W) 7-7 - Both sides of the ball IMPROVING drastically and starting to take the NFL by surprise.
15. vs JAX 20-23 (L) 7-8 - Jacksonville has improved and get SF on an off day.
16. @ LAR 20-27 (L) 7-9 - Goff closes out the season with his first win vs SF.

7-9 may be a VERY realistic accomplishment. I for one am very optimistic. I think its really going to come down to how Hoyer can command the offense, play some good small ball, AND the defense taking the next step and improving the young core.
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Jun 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM ]
  • thl408
As much as possible and still get the #1 overall pick.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I really don't care much how the record turns out. I'll be ecstatic to see WRs running crisp routes, QBs with touch on their short passes, and an OL able to keep the defense at bay for at least three seconds. On defense I hope the DBs show promise and create more turnovers, the LBs cover well and help stop the run, and the DL learn to stay low and collapse the pockets. Just a few signs of hope.

Add in some screen plays and I agree
Originally posted by thl408:
As much as possible and still get the #1 overall pick.

Since the jets are setting themselves up nicely for an 0-16 run, Im not sure how we can go 0-17
Share 49ersWebzone