There are 210 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Good points! I think Jimmy's situation is similar to what BeatHard is (in a sense). Jimmy had about 2+ games on philm and the rest was college information and philm. Same with BeatHard, he's played several games, one win, and so what is his current market value, vs a guy like Cousins who has established a lot of stuff on game tape. its really all conjecture and that was Jimmy's situation prior to the trade. I don't think folks appreciate that fact that Kyle was trading a 2nd round pick for a pretty unknown QB.

philm?

Heh! can I claim autocorrect?
Well, when Lynch gives interviews and he says Kyle was depressed after getting Jimmy, I don't know what to say. But I'm pretty sure 5-0 made Kyle happy! No more sadness or depression after that!

I think the depressed/mourning comment was more sarcasm and exaggeration by Lynch.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Kirk was a known entity, especially to Kyle. Jimmy had two games under his belt where real bullets were flying. It is obvious thy Kyle was looking at Cousins. But that changed ... quickly.

This. From Day 1 here it was patently obvious that Cousins would be the 49ers target. He was hand picked by Kyle and Mike, had experience in the offense, had two very good seasons as a starter under his belt, the Redskins completely FUBARed his contract situation.

He was destined to be a 49er like most expected. Then Garoppolo happened. Nobody had really expected him to be available, the Patriots had turned down all offers for him in the offseason and when he did, the 49ers to their credit jumped on it.

If Garoppolo had crapped the bed then the 49ers probably still pursue Cousins but since he showed up and his play elevated the offense and turned the whole franchise around, plans changed.

In the end, it could turn out that Garoppolo becomes by far the superior option and he becomes a Top 5 QB, the rare type that can carry a team across the finish line while Cousins maintains his current trajectory of being a pretty good but not great QB.
Agree! It was a big screw up by Kraft to force the Graoppolo trade. Bellicheat did his best to protect the Pats by getting him out of the AFC and into the NFC. Sasha Brown of Cleavland screwed up when he refused to offer more than a 2nd for Jimmy. Then again, this is a GM that's clueless about good quarterbacks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Well, when Lynch gives interviews and he says Kyle was depressed after getting Jimmy, I don't know what to say. But I'm pretty sure 5-0 made Kyle happy! No more sadness or depression after that!

I think the depressed/mourning comment was more sarcasm and exaggeration by Lynch.
I agree, to me it's clear he was joking, but some folks maybe didn't get the joke?
Originally posted by Ninersrisin:
As I listen to players talk about Kyle's system I become even more thankful that he became our coach. So many things that the organization got right with this hire. All the years that we changed systems or had to worry about the Offensive Coordinator. Now our OC is built in to the HC and neither are going anywhere for a long time. Very thankful to have this coach at this time.

On top of that the way that he held the team together during a very long frustrating losing streak last year put to rest any questions about how he would handle the transition to HC. In my opinion he should have been voted Coach of the Year by the NFL rather than McVay.

I would add that Lynch makes the defense continuity possible. If the DC is hired away, should he become successful, Lynch will be able to hire someone with the ability to maintain a high level. Great combination.
Good points! I think Jimmy's situation is similar to what BeatHard is (in a sense). Jimmy had about 2+ games on philm and the rest was college information and philm. Same with BeatHard, he's played several games, one win, and so what is his current market value, vs a guy like Cousins who has established a lot of stuff on game tape. its really all conjecture and that was Jimmy's situation prior to the trade. I don't think folks appreciate that fact that Kyle was trading a 2nd round pick for a pretty unknown QB.

philm?

Heh! can I claim autocorrect?

Auto-incorrect?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Ninersrisin:
As I listen to players talk about Kyle's system I become even more thankful that he became our coach. So many things that the organization got right with this hire. All the years that we changed systems or had to worry about the Offensive Coordinator. Now our OC is built in to the HC and neither are going anywhere for a long time. Very thankful to have this coach at this time.

On top of that the way that he held the team together during a very long frustrating losing streak last year put to rest any questions about how he would handle the transition to HC. In my opinion he should have been voted Coach of the Year by the NFL rather than McVay.

I would add that Lynch makes the defense continuity possible. If the DC is hired away, should he become successful, Lynch will be able to hire someone with the ability to maintain a high level. Great combination.

Great points! Considering all the NFL rule changes favoring offense vs defense, you need a good OC more than, I think, you need a good DC. At least with a good OC, you have a shot at a decent QB, and the NFL is a QB centric league. I think Lynch can probably do a decent job coaching the defense if Saleh goes. I mean Lynch played in this kind of a defense his entire career.
Jimmy too hot for Kyle to ignore. In the end, his love and history with Cousins weren't enough to fend off Jimmy's 5 games flaming hot win streak.

Kyle kept his composure and self control as long as he could, but in the end, had to shed a tear for letting Cousins go.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM ]
  • Stud
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Kirk was a known entity, especially to Kyle. Jimmy had two games under his belt where real bullets were flying. It is obvious thy Kyle was looking at Cousins. But that changed ... quickly.

This. From Day 1 here it was patently obvious that Cousins would be the 49ers target. He was hand picked by Kyle and Mike, had experience in the offense, had two very good seasons as a starter under his belt, the Redskins completely FUBARed his contract situation.

He was destined to be a 49er like most expected. Then Garoppolo happened. Nobody had really expected him to be available, the Patriots had turned down all offers for him in the offseason and when he did, the 49ers to their credit jumped on it.

If Garoppolo had crapped the bed then the 49ers probably still pursue Cousins but since he showed up and his play elevated the offense and turned the whole franchise around, plans changed.

In the end, it could turn out that Garoppolo becomes by far the superior option and he becomes a Top 5 QB, the rare type that can carry a team across the finish line while Cousins maintains his current trajectory of being a pretty good but not great QB.

Agreed. The 2017 49ers had one of the greatest mid season turn arounds in NFL history, and Jimmy G was the reason. Never seen a season like it, except maybe the 2015 Chiefs.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I agree, to me it's clear he was joking, but some folks maybe didn't get the joke?

media gonna media

Shanahan > Harbaugh
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Shanahan > Harbaugh

Stop trolling
Originally posted by susweel:
Shanahan > Harbaugh

Stop trolling

reported