LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

i get that this OL is pretty bad, but this scheme is awful. you're gonna need all pros everywhere to make it zone scheme look good.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Trash play calling nobody respects the play action on every play.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
The dude is stubborn. He knew he should have started Jimmy G in this game and still refuses to give him any credit. If he doesn't start Jimmy G in the Bears game, the fan base will turn on his as*.

Resistance is futile.
Originally posted by Rascal:
The dude is stubborn. He knew he should have started Jimmy G in this game and still refuses to give him any credit. If he doesn't start Jimmy G in the Bears game, the fan base will turn on his as*.

Resistance is futile.

3 weeks is not long enough to grasp the playbook.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

That depends on how you look at it. To know the entire playbook like the back if his hand, no. But, does he know enough of it to play? Yes.

Jacoby Brissett played in his second week after he arrived at the Colts.

Plus, it has already been 27 days, in other words almost 4 weeks (not 3 weeks) and will be 5 weeks by the Bears game.
[ Edited by Rascal on Nov 26, 2017 at 7:28 PM ]
I was very disappointed that with 2 weeks of preparation, we could do nothing on offense. I know we stink, but still.
Originally posted by redwood:
I was very disappointed that with 2 weeks of preparation, we could do nothing on offense. I know we stink, but still.

This team has had an entire year of preparation, and has not looked good offensively against anyone except the Giants who were half-assing their play because they don't believe in their coach.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by jreff22:

That depends on how you look at it. To know the entire playbook like the back if his hand, no. But, does he know enough of it to play? Yes.

Jacoby Brissett played in his second week after he arrived at the Colts.

Plus, it has already been 27 days, in other words almost 4 weeks (not 3 weeks) and will be 5 weeks by the Bears game.

It's a good thing you arent the HC.

The seahawks were on a short week also.

Just remember this is still the guy who couldn't run the clock out up 25 points with one quarter to play. He also gave hoyer 5 games before realizing he wasn't the answer when it was obvious by game 3.

It seems there are only 2 camps. Those that see him as the savior and those that see him as having one of the biggest meltdowns offensively of all time.

He lies somewhere in between and time will tell if he's actually a good coach or not. At time play calling has looked decent and we have been competitive and at other times we have been completely outmatched.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Don't fight it. Jimmy G will be starting next week whether you like it or not!! LOL.

Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
He also gave hoyer 5 games before realizing he wasn't the answer when it was obvious by game 3.

Shanahan knew Hoyer wasn't "the answer" when he was signed in the offseason.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

The seahawks were on a short week also.

Just remember this is still the guy who couldn't run the clock out up 25 points with one quarter to play. He also gave hoyer 5 games before realizing he wasn't the answer when it was obvious by game 3.

It seems there are only 2 camps. Those that see him as the savior and those that see him as having one of the biggest meltdowns offensively of all time.

He lies somewhere in between and time will tell if he's actually a good coach or not. At time play calling has looked decent and we have been competitive and at other times we have been completely outmatched.

As far as the "melt down" goes.. Thats why you go through life experiences

As far as being "completely outmatched" i disagree based on circumstances.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

I just stopped responding to him.
Originally posted by jrg:

I just stopped responding to him.

Yeah I could see why. But anyway it appears Jimmy G will be starting very very soon.
The history of the NFL is replete with good (or even great) coordinators who couldn't cut it as head coaches, and great position coaches who couldn't cut it as coordinators. I remember with mild amusement the groundswell for Zampese-for-OC a couple of years back. Or for Tomsula-for-DC.

Washington thought that Norv was the saviour. Hell, even SD gave him a stacked team for him to prove again that he should have stuck to coordinator. Wade Phillips is a great DC and a rubbish HC. Heck, when I was living in Philly in the 90s I remember their fans (yes, those Philly fans, the ones whose sentences tend to start with "Booooo!" or "You suck...") being excited about Ray Rhodes. Granted, he followed the legendary Rich Kotite, so even he was an improvement.

Shanahan has showed us exactly zero so far. Does this mean "fire him"? Of course not, for all the good reasons put forward here. But is he the saviour? On actual evidence, rather than the influence of kool-aid, no he's not. So far. I wish people should stop the Bill Walsh First Year comparisons. Geniuses (the real version) are rare. There is a greater chance that Shanahan is Norv 2.0 rather than Walsh 2.0. Simple probability says so.

Results have been, frankly, pathetic so far. Thanks heavens for the Browns being the Browns, so we don't stand out to ridicule even more. At present, the right reaction to the pathetic shower that he has trot out to the field every week is to tap our collective feet impatiently and give him a collective stern look. We can also roll our eyes skyward and tut, in the best Victorian British way. Come this point next year however, if we are 3-8 or worse, then yes, it will be time to go all Philly-Fan on him. I mean, it's not as if he's not getting paid.
Share 49ersWebzone