There are 307 users in the forums

QB Candidates Thread: The Search for the QBoTF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm afraid of signing Cousins, not because he's about to hit his 30's or doesn't have the it factor, but because it's going to cost us high compensation and a boatload of money. I'd rather go after Garoppolo or just draft Trubisky and save all our draft picks.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 28, 2017 at 2:29 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm afraid of signing Cousins, not because he's about to hit his 30's or doesn't have the it factor, but because it's going to cost us high compensation and a boatload of money.

You know what? I am the opposite in a way. If Cousins was truly legit, as in without all the meltdown and INT issues, I would have been OK with the price tag.

But, because he has all the issues as mentioned plus he is not young, now I have massive problems with the whole idea of trading for him.

I have a problem of paying an average QB elite QB money, not to mention handing our 2 pick over on a silver platter, that is called "overpaying".
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't know, Rascal - I'm worried Shanny is going to go all out for Cousins. I just hope they think long and hard before committing to him and consider all other options. I could be wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about this.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I don't know, Rascal - I'm worried Shanny is going to go all out for Cousins. I just hope they think long and hard before committing to him and consider all other options. I could be wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about this.

Not much we can do about that mayo.

I will be objective and say this. Kirk Cousins will win us some games, no doubt about that. But, as long as you don't have too much expectations or hopes in him winning many big games for us to take us to the next level, you might not get too disappointed. However, as we all know it is the big games that hurt the most.

Unless Kyle Shanahan could improve Cousins' game massively, I truly believe what we have seen so far is probably what we will get.

I would be happier taking my chances on a top QB in the draft and see how Kyle could turn him into a stud. At least, there should be a lot more upsides to look forward to.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
ESPN's Ed Werder is reporting that Cousins wants the Redskins to franchise him.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 28, 2017 at 3:26 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/28/report-kirk-cousins-would-accept-a-trade-only-to-the-49ers/
Jason Cole (@JasonColeBR) tweeted at 7:50 AM on Tue, Feb 28, 2017:
Source: QB Kirk Cousins would be open to playing for teams other than #Redskins or #49ers if that's how it works out. #Browns intriguing
Originally posted by Rascal:
Not much we can do about that mayo.

I will be objective and say this. Kirk Cousins will win us some games, no doubt about that. But, as long as you don't have too much expectations or hopes in him winning many big games for us to take us to the next level, you might not get too disappointed. However, as we all know it is the big games that hurt the most.

Unless Kyle Shanahan could improve Cousins' game massively, I truly believe what we have seen so far is probably what we will get.

I would be happier taking my chances on a top QB in the draft and see how Kyle could turn him into a stud. At least, there should be a lot more upsides to look forward to.
+1
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/28/report-kirk-cousins-would-accept-a-trade-only-to-the-49ers/

Cousins is forcing the issue now. I wonder whether the Redskins will up the offer a bit and see what happens. If not, the Redskins is out of options, they will have to trade Cousins to us if they want anything back for him and they won't have much bargaining power neither. Well, in theory the 9ers can rape the Redskins, if the deal is cheap, then just turn a blind eye, is a done deal anyway it looks like.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niner_Faithful_MTL:
Source: QB Kirk Cousins would be open to playing for teams other than #Redskins or #49ers if that's how it works out. #Browns intriguing

I hope this is true.

Cousins is forcing the issue now. I wonder whether the Redskins will up the offer a bit and see what happens. If not, the Redskins is out of options, they will have to trade Cousins to us if they want anything back for him and they won't have much bargaining power neither. Well, in theory the 9ers can rape the Redskins, if the deal is cheap, then just turn a blind eye, is a done deal anyway it looks like.

According to ESPN, the 'Skins previous offer would have to increase significantly to keep Cousins. It said that they were offering $12 mil per year with low incentives. I agree that Cousins isn't elite, but come on......that's just insulting.

Brock Osweiler got $18 mil per and he's garbage.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM ]

So its confirmed that he only wants to play for the 49ers or Redskins then.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

So its confirmed that he only wants to play for the 49ers or Redskins then.

LOL, that's how I took that, too. Sounds like Jason's "source" is Kirk's agent trying to start a bidding war.
Y

I have a problem of paying an average QB elite QB money, not to mention handing our 2 pick over on a silver platter, that is called "overpaying".

But as I recall you were perfectly fine with the 49ers giving up last years pick plus what turned out to be the #2 pick this year and more to move up for Jared Goff.

If he has another bad year maybe McVay starts thinking Cousins too.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
LOL, that's how I took that, too. Sounds like Jason's "source" is Kirk's agent trying to start a bidding war.

I meant that I have found it good practice to take whatever the exact opposite of what Jason Cole reports as being true.
Share 49ersWebzone