LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

QB Candidates Thread: The Search for the QBoTF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
At 37, another option, perhaps a more realistic one is to just chuck it in if no championship-contending teams call. There is no point for him to hang around and get beat up playing for a team that has zero chance in getting into the playoffs.

He is loaded already anyway, just hang it up and may be get a media job if he wants.

Exactly, he might just say screw it, why get beat up for a lower rung team. I agree, he can just become an analyst or something.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by mojave45:
If ShLynch gets serious in free agency (2 or 3 starters on both offense and defense), I would say that rebuilding as well as playoffs are on their minds... if that's the case, Cousins, JG and even Kap can get us there.

If we couldn't get to the playoffs (at least 9-7 or wildcard) with 5/6 FA starters added, a solid draft and one of the mentioned QBs, this staff isn't worth crap and we'd waste too much on one of those QBs

If it's just a rebuild, I'd prefer saving the cash for other FAs / keeping our picks (no to Cousins / JG), and get rid of all our QBs (maybe keep one for camp fodder)... get the bridge in here / develop the rook.

Even if we get 5 starters in FA, and get a QB in either Jimmy G or Kirk, we are still at least another year away from playoffs. We are that bad. Given that we also are installing a new system on both offense and defense. And a two year turnaround would be considered excellent work by the staff.

Maybe my expectations are a tad high, but let's take a look, and below is just an (just throwing names out, may not be available) example. Feel free to put in different players to make it realistic (I'm just throwing names out there for arguments sake)...

Let's say we get (LB) Melvin Ingram; (CB) A.J. Bouye; One of the top FA to beef up the Dline. On offense (QB) Cousins; Either get a top (WR) or (TE) Jacob Tamme or (TE) Levine Toilolo. That's five FAs, maybe one or two more with good value for depth can be added. In the draft, take Davis or Williams to help out at WR; add depth on both sides; help at RB/FB for Hyde...

I totally agree with you.
And here's the deal, to me, if the new staff is thinking 2-3 years rebuild to get to the playoffs...
That is a total losers mentality and I don't like it.
Lynch and Shanny should be thinking what is the "best" & "quickest" way to turn this around.

Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Armstead---- Buckner---- Stud FA pick---- Melvin Ingram
Lynch------------- ? -------------- ? -------------------- Lynch

Instant gratification specially if they add a CB like Bouye.

Those ^^

Especially if we go the Cousins... I don't think Cousins really wants to wait three / four years to finally have a solid roster (all) from the draft.

Originally posted by BOI49er:
Yup maybe FA dictates direction of draft and perhaps schemes....

The good teams do it the other way around. They build through the draft, trying to draft best player available, and then fill in the holes and depth with lower cost free agents. New England, for example, almost Never takes high priced free agents.

You can't build a perennial winning team with top end free agents, and there are a number of reasons for this;

You just outbid all 32 teams for his services (including the player's old team who knows him best). Right there, you know you paid too much, and that matters in the cap era.

The player just came off his contract year, and it's very unlikely he'll play like that again in his first year of a long contract.

The player fit the system he came from. Yours is different.

He meshed with his team mates in that system. Yours are different.

He's a year older, and a year more banged up. It's a young man's game.

There are individual exceptions, of course. Just saying the teams that "build through the draft", and husband those draft picks far and away do the best on the long road. They even trade away players for draft picks (Garoppolo? Montana .......).

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. You don't build a consistent winning team through free agency by overpaying for players that other teams are generally willing to part with. The teams that win consistently build through the draft and fill in the gaps with free agents, they don't build around free agency, the Redskins tried doing that for years with no success and the Jaguars have been trying that for years with no success.

I don't think the 49ers should be blowing a ton of money in free agency to become a perennial 7-9 team. Add a key free agent or two, accept that you're going to suck for a couple of seasons, keep building through the draft and spend the bulk of your money on your own players as you develop your system and build a roster up around it.

Those ^^ are my sentiments exactly, but then there's all this talk about acquiring Cousins / JG. If we're going to rebuild from scratch, then might as well save those picks for elite guys off the draft. I don't really care for Cousins or JG.

I'd rather get the bridge QB, develop a rook and get BPA in the draft since we have early picks. We might not get early picks for quite some time. What happens if Shanny shocks everyone with a decent 8-8 season or better and then we take off from there on. Goodbye to early picks....

But like I said, if we're going to get a good QB like Cousins (if Skins are dumb enough to let him go), we might as well spend some of that cash we've been ALREADY holding onto, get some young FAs in here who will still be around by the time our drafts develop. We might have to give up early picks for Cousins, and especially for JG. I'd rather keep our picks and build through the draft like I've been saying since we found out Shanny was our guy.

I don't want to underestimate what the new staff can do with some of our own youngsters... a couple of additions here and there (real starters / 1st string players) means that previous starters (who had no business being starters) can go back to what they really are, depth (some could be solid contributors in certain positions as back ups).
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
I disagree lol, hoyer and shaub? Better than kap? Really lol, I understand you hate the guy but to say those 2 are better than kap is lol

2 of those guys know the offense already. Kaepernick doesn't. If it took Matt Ryan a year to figure out the offense, I shudder to think how long it would take for Kaepernick to become fully functional.

Didn't Harbaugh run the WCO when he was here?
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I disagree lol, hoyer and shaub? Better than kap? Really lol, I understand you hate the guy but to say those 2 are better than kap is lol

2 of those guys know the offense already. Kaepernick doesn't. If it took Matt Ryan a year to figure out the offense, I shudder to think how long it would take for Kaepernick to become fully functional.

Yes he did, but he just left out the west coast part of it
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I'm pretty sure thats what he ran. I remember that being a big deal when he was hired. I also remember seeing a lot of plays the Falcons ran that he also ran.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure thats what he ran. I remember that being a big deal when he was hired. I also remember seeing a lot of plays the Falcons ran that he also ran.

What part of the offense was WCO? Harbaugh claimed he was gonna bring the WCO back to SF, but all we saw was a power running game and the read option.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

What part of the offense was WCO? Harbaugh claimed he was gonna bring the WCO back to SF, but all we saw was a power running game and the read option.

Which was dumb AF... He coulda used a lot of sweet plays and concepts to mix in with his,
Btw, don't be suprised if Chiefs wind up with Romo and they take a rookie in the first few rounds. I'd take Alex
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Yeah, I don't think it was the WCO. All we did was run the ball and read option.
It's looking more likely Wash will let Cousins get away. Scot Mc has been public about how he's not a fan of spending big money on QBs. He's been very non-committal on Cousins. With their cap space and list of FA they need to resign, it makes their decision a little tougher to throw all their money at one position.

The deadline for the franchise tag is next Wednesday amd I expect they'll tag him and try to work out a trade. That's where I think Kyle and Lunch make a splash. With 2 picks in rounds 3-7, we have plenty of ammo to compensate Wash and still salvage this draft.

I'd say this is around 40-50% of happening. We'll learn a lot more next week based on Wash's handling of his tag.
[ Edited by strickac on Feb 20, 2017 at 5:42 AM ]

Originally posted by strickac:
It's looking more likely Wash will let Cousins get away. Scot Mc has been public about how he's not a fan of spending big money on QBs. He's been very non-committal on Cousins. With their cap space and list of FA they need to resign, it makes their decision a little tougher to throw all their money at one position.

The deadline for the franchise tag is next Wednesday amd I expect they'll tag him and try to work out a trade. That's where I think Kyle and Lunch make a splash. With 2 picks in rounds 3-7, we have plenty of ammo to compensate Wash and still salvage this draft.

I'd say this is around 40-50% of happening. We'll learn a lot more next week based on Wash's handling of his tag.

Look I'm actually one of the few that like Kirk tbh, but giving up those picks would be a disaster.

This team still needs a lot if talent in a lot if places. Gambling on rounds 3-7 is a bad idea
I thot we had 2 picks from rds 4-7. If we do have 2 picks in rd 3 also, then i would be very disappointed if we continue the baalke approach of using as many picks as possible...instead of moving up as far as we can go in rd 2, or 3, by packaging some of those extra picks and using them for addtional higher picks in rd 2. Or in rd 3. Point is we should use those extra picks to maximize what each pick is worth. Baalke's using every single pick to bring in a player to me was a waste of what those extra picks should really be used for. Sure one can stay , "hey bring in the more the merrier...one of them ought to make a hit". Rather than that i think we should be trying to score fewer picks overall but in the higher rds.

This is just an opinion, but using all 10,12, or 13 picks, knowing full well they ALL won't stick...i think was just a waste. Maximize your picks valuewise, not in total number of players. That is opposite of what baalke has done the last 6-7 yrs, but then again, look at all the talent we DON'T have. If we get just 6 picks but each one is higher than it would have been otherwise, ultimately we should end up with better players than we have been getting under baalke. He's gone now...time for a policy change re: extra picks. If our last pick was in rd 5, fine by me. Just as long as the quality of the picks was maximized.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Btw, don't be suprised if Chiefs wind up with Romo and they take a rookie in the first few rounds. I'd take Alex

I don't see that happening at all...the Chiefs are bottom of the league in cap space and they need to sign Berry and Poe. Romo isn't gonna play for free and Smith still has two yrs left on his deal.

Really the only places that make sense to me is Denver (said they want to roll with the young QBs), Houston (even though they already said they are set), and the dark horse for me is Chicago.
Originally posted by strickac:

Lynch and Cousins have control of this. If Cousins says he won't sign with anybody but us, and if Lynch calls Snyder and tells him that he won't give him draft picks, then Washington will know they can't trade him. Nobody has ever thought it beneficial to franchise a quarterback twice before, as expensive that it is and the near certainty that it's only going to buy you one year. I agree. Good chance Scot McCloughan gets his way and drafts somebody, which will be cheap. He's responsible for the whole team.

"After fueling the Redskins' 42-24 victory over the Packers Sunday night with a 375 yard, three touchdown performance, Cousins went up to Redskins GM Scot McCloughan and shouted: 'HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?'"

This thing is broken. It won't last.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Feb 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by sactomkiii:
Surprised I haven't noticed more talk of Romo... He obviously wont be a long term solution but could be a decent bridge to letting a rookie sit behind him and learn. If we trade for him I doubt it would take more than a 5th rounder to get him or he may even be cut before it comes to that.

Romo wont want to come here to lose and get hurt as a bridge QB at the end of his career.
Share 49ersWebzone