There are 310 users in the forums

QB Candidates Thread: The Search for the QBoTF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
There have been GM and Head Coach candidate threads - now it's the QB's turn. With numerous reports of Kaepernick opting out, and no other QBs under contract, there could be full turnover at the position. What's the short term and the long term answer? Does Shanahan like anything he sees from the available QBs in FA/trade/draft? The answers will shape the future of the franchise, how you view football, and indirectly, the way you treat people around you. This is for real serious.

GO NINERS!
but my official Jeff Rodgers thread????

if Mitch is THAT good... take him with the second... f**k it. I don't care if he's only played one season. Reminds me of a more athletic Phillip Rivers.

fake edit- ok maybe going over board here with Mitch. Roll with Thad in 17
I hear he's gonna be a FA

haha jk
how were his #s last year???? ^
I would not draft a QB at #2. Trade back if possible, otherwise take BPA and draft a QB in the second round or trade back into the late first for a guy that may fall a bit.

Cousins and Garoppolo are the top two options already in the league IMO, in that order. Would love to get either one of them, and if it took the #2 so be it. I truly believe both of them will have much better careers than any of the top named QB's coming out of this years draft.

If the asking price is too high for cousins or Garoppolo, look for them to take a QB( but not in the first), and play him behind a guy like Hoyer for a year until we can really address the position the following year and get a strong competition going..

They WILL draft a QB. Maybe two, and they will also sign a UDFA QB or two to compete in camp, but IMO none are worthy of that #2 overall.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

if Mitch is THAT good... take him with the second... f**k it. I don't care if he's only played one season. Reminds me of a more athletic Phillip Rivers.

Whose your favorite QB in the draft? I think I know the answer lol.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Kizer is/will be the best QB to come out of this years draft IMO.
You know this will be the first question the media ask Kyle next week.
how were his #s last year???? ^

17th in passer rating and 1 win.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Kizer is/will be the best QB to come out of this years draft IMO.

Keep forgetting about him. I hope he throws at the combine.

Probably not...lol.

I feel if we are going to take Watson or Kizer or etc.... we're better off just sticking with Kaepernick, because at least he has the experience.

If a QB REALLY is that good, then even using the 2nd on him is nothing. I like the way Mitch moves around in the pocket...and even though he f**ked up early in that Stanford game, he still over came it and played his ass off....but in the end... had to deal with dropped passes and crazy play from Standord's version of Aaron Donald.

Just saying I wouldn't be mad if we did take Mitch if Kyle believed in him.

but yes, if we did trade our 2nd Overall pick to move down.... but also used our 2nd Round Pick +others to trade back up.

to basically have 2 1st round picks... and we ended up with Dalvin Cook and Cory Davis?????

That would make my weekend. To gamebreakers who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM ]

Probably not...lol.

I feel if we are going to take Watson or Kizer or etc.... we're better off just sticking with Kaepernick, because at least he has the experience.

If a QB REALLY is that good, then even using the 2nd on him is nothing. I like the way Mitch moves around in the pocket...and even though he f**ked up early in that Stanford game, he still over came it and played his ass off....but in the end... had to deal with dropped passes and crazy play from Standord's version of Aaron Donald.

but yes, if we did trade our 2nd Overall pick to move down.... but also used our 2nd Round Pick +others to trade back up.

to basically have 2 1st round picks... and we ended up with Dalvin Cook and Cory Davis?????

That would make my weekend. To gamebreakers who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Still didn't answer my question I said whose YOUR favorite QB in the draft. Though from the sound of things, you rather trade down if no Garrett?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Blaine Gabbert is perfect for shanny's offense.

Probably not...lol.

I think the problem is that there hasn't been any bonafide QB competition around these parts in years. Even when Kaepernick was handed the job while Alex was injured, that wasn't a competition. Harbaugh basically decided to "go with the hot hand". So what I'm saying is this: we need more quality QB's to choose from instead of just drafting or signing one QB to become our messiah.

Case in point, Washington drafted RG3 2nd overall, then finding Kirk Cousins in the 4th round of the same draft. RG3 had a lot of spark and flash, but Cousins was a better NFL ready pocket passer. We need to get more arms on the roster to evaluate.

Probably not...lol.

Still didn't answer my question I said whose YOUR favorite QB in the draft. Though from the sound of things, you rather trade down if no Garrett?

If Myles is available... take Myles

If I had to choose a QB? I'd take Mitch.

if Myles is taken..and we have the choice of trading down (and we are doing it to STILL take a QB?)...then I'd rather take Mitch with the 2nd Overall, and not trade down.

but if we trading down to get someone like Corey Davis... ok fine... but don't use the 2nd Round pick for a QB... would rather use that pick to trade back into the first to get a game breaker or great defender.

I don't want us to use that 2nd Round pick on a QB..
Share 49ersWebzone