There are 269 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I've said it wasn't a horrible pick, I get their reasons and it was technically a sound safe pick, but I 100% think he was the wrong pick at 9. And I 100% agree with the telegraphing you mentioned.

I was super excited for Kyle, but John was always the one I've been cynical about. His media presence is refreshing, but my confidence in his drafting is pretty low now.

this was totally a Shanahan pick dude.

And that actually worries me even more.

Well he is the coach who knows his players and what his team needs....
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

I've said it wasn't a horrible pick, I get their reasons and it was technically a sound safe pick, but I 100% think he was the wrong pick at 9. And I 100% agree with the telegraphing you mentioned.

I was super excited for Kyle, but John was always the one I've been cynical about. His media presence is refreshing, but my confidence in his drafting is pretty low now.

A total reach with what was still available and what trades were available
Originally posted by FaTaL:

A total reach with what was still available and what trades were available

MM wouldn't have been there in a trade down, as evidenced by the raiders overdrafting Miller
I dont think lynch masterminded the mcglinchy pick.

Probably it was an emergency situation and they decided this was the best tackle available. Or safest.

My question though: how about a trade? Any fa still out there? Its tough to sacrifice a top ten pick for the surprise circumstance like we are projecting.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
So people saying we reached for McGlinchey wanted Landry....who wasnt even drafted...

Classic webzone. This may even be a new low. At least in other years, the other players were at least drafted in the first round. Adam Carriker in 2007 and Bryan Bulaga in 2010 for example.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I dont think lynch masterminded the mcglinchy pick.

Probably it was an emergency situation and they decided this was the best tackle available. Or safest.

My question though: how about a trade? Any fa still out there? Its tough to sacrifice a top ten pick for the surprise circumstance like we are projecting.

Signing a free agent tackle right now, in April? Or trading for one? What quality player do you think we are going to get? Given the Brown situation, there is no way out of this.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
How anyone can sit there with a straight face and tell
me this was the right lock is beyond me.

Is it so hard to root for the kid now that he is the pick?

As i stated before, no one can really argue there is no value in getting the #1 tackle in the draft at #9.

Even if Nelson were there for example, the T is the better value pick at #9.

Brown forced their hand to an extent, and Shanny wont let anyone handicap his offense for very long.

I dont like Lynch involved with the draft much either. I think he is a perfect face of the franchise, but not the greatest talent evaluator, and i think he has a tendency to lock onto guys, however, this pick has Shanny written all over it.

I think the Thomas pick was :Lynch, and IMO the Thomas pick was infinitely worse than getting the best OT in the draft at #9.

The big issue, is they have a leak from their draft room, and its likely Shanny leaking to Simms who cant keep his f**king mouth shut lol.

But yes, i do feel they telegraphed the first picks in both drafts so far, and probably need to correct that issue going forward, especially when we are hopefully picking later in the first round in future drafts..

Lol agreed. I know we need a beast o-line, it's the "safe, smart" pick, but damn they way it fell I was like - trade! Trade! Or take Derwin and call it a night! Lol
I think he is a very mixed bag. Incomplete and not enough sample size is the grade so far.

~ Jimmy G = A+ Get a Franchise QB for a 2nd round pick. LOL. The Patriots got absolutely robbed. Alex Smith even got two 2nd round picks. Imagine that.

~ Solomon Thomas 1 (3) 2017. D-. We got a tweener pass rusher who apparently can't pass rush.

~ Reuben Foster 1 (31) 2017 C-. It would be an understatement to say his behavior and decision making are disastrous. He is not out of the woods yet. He is also undersized and injured a lot. The absolute knocks on him coming out. When on the field and healthy and not headed for NFL suspensions he appears to be a very high quality player. But there are so many other problems with him. The list is just huge.

~ Mcglinchy 1 (9) 2018. Incomplete. He has not played a down yet. Yes we have big needs on O Line including OT. He is said to be the best OT in this years draft class while not having super star potential. We will see. He may turn out to be a good solid pick. I'm warming up to this pick a lot more lately. My initial reaction was negative but this may be a good, safe pick at a position of need. Even Stayley is getting older. So we need to upgrade that position big time if you look long term. We need young good players at that position whether he starts out RT or eventually ends up at LT. We need OT. There is absolutely no doubt. I'm starting to actually lean a little more positive on this pick. But we will see. Time will tell. If you can get a good OT it helps you a lot so I'm not opposed to it. But I don't know if he will be a star or not.

The whole thing is based on Jimmy G. Which was the steal of the century in FA. But I'm not sure about his drafting. The 2017 1st round does not leave me with the feeling that this guy knows what he is doing drafting. Because we may have missed on both of those guys for different reasons. You can't completely bust your 1st round with 2 picks in it in 2017. But we may have done just exactly that.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 27, 2018 at 3:50 AM ]
So people are upset about getting what could be Joe Staley's replacement and think Lynch is terrible at drafting after 2 drafts? Sheesh, give the kids a chance to play before you say they're not good picks.

And the post about Thomas, really? If he isn't better this year I'll agree but he was a rookie, and wasn't terrible just didn't get sacks. But then again, nobody did.
Originally posted by trogdor:
So people are upset about getting what could be Joe Staley's replacement and think Lynch is terrible at drafting after 2 drafts? Sheesh, give the kids a chance to play before you say they're not good picks.

And the post about Thomas, really? If he isn't better this year I'll agree but he was a rookie, and wasn't terrible just didn't get sacks. But then again, nobody did.

I agree that its not fair to judge thomas last year based on late release from stanford. But this year we will get a chance to truly gauge his trajectory.

Am i optimistic? Not really. But well see if he shows.

How anyone can sit there with a straight face and tell
me this was the right lock is beyond me.

Is it so hard to root for the kid now that he is the pick?

As i stated before, no one can really argue there is no value in getting the #1 tackle in the draft at #9.

Even if Nelson were there for example, the T is the better value pick at #9.

Brown forced their hand to an extent, and Shanny wont let anyone handicap his offense for very long.

I dont like Lynch involved with the draft much either. I think he is a perfect face of the franchise, but not the greatest talent evaluator, and i think he has a tendency to lock onto guys, however, this pick has Shanny written all over it.

I think the Thomas pick was :Lynch, and IMO the Thomas pick was infinitely worse than getting the best OT in the draft at #9.

The big issue, is they have a leak from their draft room, and its likely Shanny leaking to Simms who cant keep his f**king mouth shut lol.

But yes, i do feel they telegraphed the first picks in both drafts so far, and probably need to correct that issue going forward, especially when we are hopefully picking later in the first round in future drafts..

Lol agreed. I know we need a beast o-line, it's the "safe, smart" pick, but damn they way it fell I was like - trade! Trade! Or take Derwin and call it a night! Lol

Thomas was a meh pick because we already had buck and Mitchell. The trade really helped make that better and there really wasn't anyone else I screamed for there as well tbh.

This year we already have two starting tackles. (The Brown stuff came out the last 24 hours) Feels Like a missed opportunity to me. There were some wicked defenders available.

A very valid point.
Lynch is the kind of dude that will walk into a Baskin Robins 31 flavors and picks vanilla smh
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by trogdor:

The McGlinchy pick reminds me a bit of the Blubber Paris pick in 1982. In 1981 Walsh went defense heavy with Lott, Wright, and Carlton as well as getting Fred Dean in free agency. In 1982 they drafted Blubber, after Joe Montana wins the super bowl. In a sense that 1981 Super Bowl win was sorta like Jimmy coming into the franchise last year and establishing himself as the Franchise QB that you had to protect. Blubber was a mainstay in that offense for a very very long time, until Chris Dolman came along and showed him up as a fat lazy overweight LT, and Walsh finally got rid of him and got Harris Barton in 1987. Trent Brown kinda reminds me a bit of Blubber Paris, and I don't mind ShanaLynch trying to upgrade that position. Blubber was a headache to Walsh every year that he was on the team in terms of weight.

THIS - eerily similar to the CJ Beathard and Joe Williams selections which were the 2 worst player value picks we made in last years draft and no coincidence we're the 2 guys Shannahan locked onto. This is why we have a front office, to shield us from making these types of moves with premium picks.
Share 49ersWebzone