Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Ninerfan84:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think we should try to add even more by trading Bethea if we can. More ammunition to move up and select impact players.

Good call...I'd consider Brooks for a 3-4 team and Brock as well.

I don't think there is any team who would want to take on Brooks' almost 9 mill hit for one year. More likely cut than traded for him. Brock on the other hand I think we could get something for, probably a 6th round pick or so.

IIRC AB noted that Brooks salary is down to like $2.5M d/t not meeting performance guarantees.

Edit: found it in my own thread. lol

Ahmad Brooks's salary de-escalating from $6.95M to $4.45M, $2.5M savings

More reasonable at a 6 mill hit but still unlikely we can move him. Maybe he can be a throw in for Cousins .

At $4.45M we can move him.

He has roster bonuses and restructure bonuses that are still on the books unless that was cleared as well?

Yeah, AB81RULES wrote an article on it over at NN.

His article says it's a 6 mill cap hit as was suggested:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/3/14502462/ahmad-brooks-2017-salary-de-escalator-clause-49ers-salary-cap

Thank you so much for referencing. His notes to me were after he wrote that so I'll ping him and see what's up...will get back to you.

Article states: "With the de-escalation, Brooks's salary cap number is now $6,148,750 for 2017." But they can save "$5.3 million in cap space and carry a dead money hit of $848,750."
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Article states: "With the de-escalation, Brooks's salary cap number is now $6,148,750 for 2017." But they can save "$5.3 million in cap space and carry a dead money hit of $848,750."

And he needs to move on with that cap hit vs dead money...it's a no brainer
Originally posted by NYniner85:

This
Originally posted by communist:
Yeah, AB81RULES wrote an article on it over at NN.
BTW, has he left the 'zone? Haven't read anything from him for a while.

Ahh no, he's still here. In fact he just gave me a ton of updates in my 2017 Team Information thread...the OP. He's been posting a lot in Roster Analysis thread. And of course, his pined salary cap thread. We wouldn't let him leave even if tried!
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2017 at 6:18 AM ]

Agreed, no brainer. with the off chance of a small trade to a 3-4 team.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah, I like his talent but they don't really need to stick with a guy his age when they're a couple years away from contending. 32 years old.
FYI...per MM,

Brooks is on the books to earn $5.3 million in 2017. That's not a huge amount for a starting outside linebacker or defensive end – whichever spot he might fit best.
FYI...per MM,

Brooks is on the books to earn $5.3 million in 2017. That's not a huge amount for a starting outside linebacker or defensive end – whichever spot he might fit best.

He's worth $5.3 mill in my opinion. He's getting older, but he's still solid in my books.
Originally posted by Ryanoceros:
FYI...per MM,

He's worth $5.3 mill in my opinion. He's getting older, but he's still solid in my books.

Brooks is like a zombie. Just when you think theres no way he stays on the roster, whether it's because of his play, salary, or off field suspicions, he lives to see another year in red and gold.

Hes been a solid vet for us for a long time now, but there were times when he was beyond cut as soon as the offseason started, but circumstances changed that made it make sense to keep him.
FYI...per MM,

It all depends on how they see him fitting into the new defense. They might want to pick up a FA who knows the defense already...just a thought. I like them picking up Mitchell and if they can pick up a couple of LBs who fit and are reasonable, then they can look for a more dynamic FA or draftee. Brooks is a good contain guy but he lacks coverage skills and isn't the most prolific pass rusher. He does everything pretty well, nothing great at this point. Anyone out their who would be an upgrade?

Lynch seems to be a very similar player and much younger.

I'd prefer that.

Always better to get something instead of nothing.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'd prefer that.

Yeah, that was my original point. 3-4 teams struggle finding good SAM's. Brooks still has value there, no longer a good fit here and we could save a lot of money for a small trade...conditional 6th or 7th.
I don't see Brooks leaving and, quite frankly, I'm surprised why fans would want him gone. No he's not an allstar but he does his job and works like a professional. He will be sent packing only if a better replacement is found.

On the money side, the 49ers have the cap room to keep him on the roster. Also, the replacement cost of Brooks in the lineup is the value of the his dead money plus the value of the replacement players contract. So if you really think you'll find a better and cheaper option his contract would have to be less than the difference between brooks salary and the dead money when he's released, not including any mandatory payouts to Brooks.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Feb 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'd prefer that.

Yeah, that was my original point. 3-4 teams struggle finding good SAM's. Brooks still has value there, no longer a good fit here and we could save a lot of money for a small trade...conditional 6th or 7th.

It's funny how the money goes in the NFL. With Willis, Bowman, A Smith and Brooks the niners had a great but costly LB group for the 3/4. Without Smith and Willis the group is mediocre at best and I'd say bad. Now they have two top DL to develop and they may get another this year in Allen. That would lead to an expensive 4/3 DL, but less expensive LBs. Can't spend everywhere! The backfield is fairly inexpensive at this point and they may wish to up that group.
It's funny how the money goes in the NFL. With Willis, Bowman, A Smith and Brooks the niners had a great but costly LB group for the 3/4. Without Smith and Willis the group is mediocre at best and I'd say bad. Now they have two top DL to develop and they may get another this year in Allen. That would lead to an expensive 4/3 DL, but less expensive LBs. Can't spend everywhere! The backfield is fairly inexpensive at this point and they may wish to up that group.

That's a really good point. Allocations will now go elsewhere now...refocus.
Share 49ersWebzone