LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
Joe is the bigger worry for me. If MM turns out to be who I think he will be, then that is our new Joe and then we need a new RT. If he isn't all that.. We have bigger problems.

I really think the worry about big receivers in Shanahans offense is somewhat misplaced, or should at least be viewed differently. He spreads the ball around. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have our big, capable RZ guy. But I don't think it is as much of an issue for us as it is for other teams. So many other offenses depend on having THAT guy, and don't have a real stable of good capable receivers they trust to spread the ball around... It appears that his offense may be something others don't do. Maybe it's just because "that guy" he believes in wasn't available yet,and he is just building the group as he goes, or maybe he thought that it wasn't the priority some others think it is.
some say the big wide out in the red zone is over rated now a days like a fullback .. not sure about that. it was nice when we had boldin but vernon was actually a good target there to. hope kittle can do that job
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Well Staley can't play forever, the game takes a wear and tear on your body, sooner or later we'll add someone for RT when MM takes over for Staley when he retires, I think we're fine.

maybe next year?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Well Staley can't play forever, the game takes a wear and tear on your body, sooner or later we'll add someone for RT when MM takes over for Staley when he retires, I think we're fine.

maybe next year?

Possibly, or someone can be developed, I like Erik Magnuson a lot, he played well when he had to fill in all over the line.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Dez would be nothing but detrimental imo. Completely opposite of the culture Shanahan and Lynch are trying to build. They want teammates, not selfish drama queens with diminishing skills. There is 0 benefit to signing Dez imo.

The benefit is having a legit red zone target.

So you think Dez signs up for 10 or so snaps a game in the end zone and he'll be a team guy all of a sudden?

This. Not worth the headaches for a Redzone Target only type player.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM ]
Joe is the bigger worry for me. If MM turns out to be who I think he will be, then that is our new Joe and then we need a new RT. If he isn't all that.. We have bigger problems.

I really think the worry about big receivers in Shanahans offense is somewhat misplaced, or should at least be viewed differently. He spreads the ball around. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have our big, capable RZ guy. But I don't think it is as much of an issue for us as it is for other teams. So many other offenses depend on having THAT guy, and don't have a real stable of good capable receivers they trust to spread the ball around... It appears that his offense may be something others don't do. Maybe it's just because "that guy" he believes in wasn't available yet,and he is just building the group as he goes, or maybe he thought that it wasn't the priority some others think it is.
some say the big wide out in the red zone is over rated now a days like a fullback .. not sure about that. it was nice when we had boldin but vernon was actually a good target there to. hope kittle can do that job

Not sure about "over rated", but I do think that as long as you have guys that can run good routes , separate, and actually catch the ball, in an offense that isn't one dimensional, you can do just fine. If the Defense doesn't get clued in simply by looking at your formation every time it certainly makes things easier. When Harbaugh was running things opposing defenses knew what were likely to do just by looking.
Dez has shown zero ability to be rational in the past and has even shown he isn't rational this year by turning down the only offer he has received.

We aren't going to make a run and win a SB just because we get Dez to be a RZ only target, and given his eroded skills, his drops, his head case behavior there is zero reason to add a cancer like that our young locker room.

Giving the youngsters some chance to grow and worrying about Garcon next year when we have a better idea about how our receivers look with JG is a better option.

Completely agree our PR/KR options look bright!

i have never been a year to year man... i would make a great gm, i am very forward thinking. lol... no i do think now about replacing garcon and joe . i understand its not a huge issue now but i keep that in the back of my mind alot

Exactly. I am hoping that means MM can slide over and take that job. If he doesn't fill those shoes that means a big hole. We have Joe this year and maybe next. You darn sure don't want to have to find yourself needing a starting left tackle and having to find one in a hurry,so I am counting on MM being what I hope he will be. As you say if he can slide over and take over for Joe, then RT is a lesser concern for me.

I see Kittle and Celek being valuable in the RZ. You get those big bodies in there for run possibilities to play off Goodwin and Pettis with quickness. If they go zone you isolate those smaller guys, if man you have options with your RB's as well. If they go big you have speed, if they go small you have size. I think we'll get er done.

Dez is a very poor man's TO.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I see Kittle and Celek being valuable in the RZ. You get those big bodies in there for run possibilities to play off Goodwin and Pettis with quickness. If they go zone you isolate those smaller guys, if man you have options with your RB's as well. If they go big you have speed, if they go small you have size. I think we'll get er done.

I thought TO was broke... damn, Dez must really spend $$$
Originally posted by jonnydel:

LOL! Agree with this but when you put it like that...oh my!

In Shanny I trust. To be honest if he takes a low money deal, stays humble and has fun with the guys in the locker room... It could still setup him getting a deal next year from someone if he plays well in his opportunities.

Red shirt Richie James.. Play more 4 WR sets.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

In Shanny I trust. To be honest if he takes a low money deal, stays humble and has fun with the guys in the locker room... It could still setup him getting a deal next year from someone if he plays well in his opportunities.

I don't really care about the $. If he doesn't act up and scores TD's, let's have some.
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

I don't really care about the $. If he doesn't act up and scores TD's, let's have some.

Guess we'll see if the juice is worth the squeeze lol.
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

Guess we'll see if the juice is worth the squeeze lol.

Yeah well will see...I wouldn't be shocked if they brought him in for a workout
Share 49ersWebzone