LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
Dez just isn't that guy anymore. And that's what happens. If you are a major pain in the ass you get fewer chances when your skills degrade a bit. TO didn't fall off the map as fast because his skills stayed relevant longer. Do you really think Dez is a game changer at this point? Only one team seemed to think he was worth a shot. He will probably get a one year deal later.

I hope it isn't with us.
off topic,. what happened with rice was just sad. ending up not being able to make it with the broncos. some great players just do not know when its time to go
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
For 6m we live with the mental problems.

Dude is a red zone beast.

Exactly...here, he wouldn't be expected to be anything but another tool in Kyle's shed. He wouldn't need to be "the one." We've already seen how Sherman, now 30, humbled by the release in Seattle, has grown up. Could Dez be similar on offense? That's something ShanaLynch would need to determine.

Otherwise...Richie James.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Exactly...here, he wouldn't be expected to be anything but another tool in Kyle's shed. He wouldn't need to be "the one." We've already seen how Sherman, now 30, humbled by the release in Seattle, has grown up. Could Dez be similar on offense? That's something ShanaLynch would need to determine.

i agree with the. what i think is the over all point of nc... i would be very happy to bring in another vet
Originally posted by cciowa:
Dez just isn't that guy anymore. And that's what happens. If you are a major pain in the ass you get fewer chances when your skills degrade a bit. TO didn't fall off the map as fast because his skills stayed relevant longer. Do you really think Dez is a game changer at this point? Only one team seemed to think he was worth a shot. He will probably get a one year deal later.

I hope it isn't with us.
off topic,. what happened with rice was just sad. ending up not being able to make it with the broncos. some great players just do not know when its time to go

Yep, Jerry just couldn't give it up when his time came.

Dez however isn't in the same conversation as Jerry trying to play too long. Dez could be effective in a limited role, if he wasn't such a pain to deal with. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole at this stage. We have young guys we need to give playing time to and 2018 isn't a SB run. We need to be building, not putting on band aids.

OK...let's not compare Sherman with Dez! Sherman has shown leadership and intellect during his career. His boasting and outspoken nature was not borne of stupidity. Dez? No leadership, no intellect demonstrated, but excellent talent. If they sign Bryant I hope they include character clauses, with the ultimate being the ability to cut him if he proves to be a knot head.

The good news here is that the niners have become a popular destination, which hasn't been true since the first couple of years of the Harbaugh era.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

OK...let's not compare Sherman with Dez! Sherman has shown leadership and intellect during his career. His boasting and outspoken nature was not borne of stupidity. Dez? No leadership, no intellect demonstrated, but excellent talent. If they sign Bryant I hope they include character clauses, with the ultimate being the ability to cut him if he proves to be a knot head.

The good news here is that the niners have become a popular destination, which hasn't been true since the first couple of years of the Harbaugh era.

Agree about the fact Dez doesn't bring any veteran leadership.

Our becoming more popular also increases our ability to be selective.
I can't think of a single reason that Lynch should even entertain the notion of bringing Bryant in. They don't need him, his skill set isn't what it used to be and, by all reports, he is the complete antithesis of the type of player that Lynch is trying to get into the locker room. The type of scheme that Shanahan has in place seems to put an emphasis on running precise routes and getting separation, neither of which are tricks in Bryant's bag, hence Pettis and James. I could envision some team picking up Bryant for training camp to kick the tires and see if he has anything left but it isn't going to be the 49ers
[ Edited by 49ers81 on May 28, 2018 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers81:
I can't think of a single reason that Lynch should even entertain the notion of bringing Bryant in. They don't need him, his skill set isn't what it used to be and, by all reports, he is the complete antithesis of the type of player that Lynch is trying to get into the locker room. The type of scheme that Shanahan has in place seems to put an emphasis on running precise routes and getting separation, neither of which are tricks in Bryant's bag, hence Pettis and James. I could envision some team picking up Bryant for training camp to kick the tires and see if he has anything left but it isn't going to be the 49ers

It would be surprising. And I believe the reason he is choosing to look at the niners is revenge. Dallas did him wrong...who could he join that would tick off the Joneses more?

It would be surprising. And I believe the reason he is choosing to look at the niners is revenge. Dallas did him wrong...who could he join that would tick off the Joneses more?

The Eagles.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

The Eagles.

Its already clear that none of the NFC East teams want him, at least not for the $$ he is seeking.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
That doesn't mean he isn't, he just comes with too much baggage. TO is a great example

TO was just super annoying....I feel like Dez might actually shoot someone he gets pissed at lol
If the 49ers want to compete this year it would make sense to sign Bryant to a one year contract. Limit the guarantee and they could part ways anytime. The cap space is there, not much risk IMO. If he pans out thats another weapon for Jimmy in red zone and he would instantly be the best possession WR on the roster.

If your shooting for 2019 its obviously the reverse, you want Pettis, Taylor, James and Bourne getting those reps. Maybe even take a hard look at Dunbar.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on May 28, 2018 at 12:40 PM ]
Dallas did the baby sitting when he was productive and worth the trouble, but even they don't think he is worth the hassle anymore.

We already have Ruben. How bad could it get?

Fewer games twice the TDS. Think about it
No to Dez, we don't need a person who is poison and toxic. Demanding the ball no matter what and when he doesn't get it, goes into a tantrum and hating on the coaches and QB. Rice never threw a tantrum. He is not a leader like Sherman. His talent has gone down hill. He is looking to prove himself to get a big long term contract, what do you think is going to happen when the ball doesn't come his way or gets his numbers to justify that? We do not need his attitude poisoning the younger players and culture that the niners are trying to set.

Kyle has already address this (not Dez in particular) when he addressed wide receivers and what he looks for and wants.
Share 49ersWebzone