LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Running Back Duo - Kyle Shanahan Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Julio is a generational talent. Matt Ryan is MVP worthy. What may be understated is how unstoppable Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman have been together.

WIll we see a similar Thunder and Lightning duo at RB for us moving forward? Christian McAffrey in Shanahan's offense sounds explosive AF.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Merge ahead
[ Edited by krizay on Jan 27, 2017 at 2:36 AM ]
we will be adding younger talent at RB this coming off season , I'm hoping we add another power back to hammer away at the opposing front 7 , and then find a fast elusive runner that could also be a dangerous weapon as a receiver out of the backfield , Harris could fill that role IMO, but his fumbling issues make him a liability , and Draughn has no upside left, what you see from him is the best it's going to get , but I imagine we will be a run first offense until we add enough more weapons for the passing game , and develop a QB that fits what Kyle wants to do
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Jan 27, 2017 at 6:05 AM ]
None of the running backs behind Hyde have the collective talent and explosiveness to really accomplish what Freeman and Coleman have in Shanny's system. I think we need to draft two more explosive players to pair with Hyde because he's too much of an injury liability to not get any high quality insurance for.

Some players I like are McCaffrey, Hunt, and Tarik Cohen.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 27, 2017 at 6:24 AM ]
Yes, OTC, it is a pis#er when the guy you have can't stay healthy. It's great to have Carlos, but it just leaves you hanging out in the wind. When will he go down? That is not what you want to be thinking about when he carries the ball. It is almost harder when you have a guy who is injury prone, because you are Half in and Half out. I agree, we need two. Problem is tho, we "got" a RB, and we have no FR QB, no impact WR, no OLB, no NT...all impact players. At RB we at least got a guy there part time. But that is what screws it up for us...a great RB...sometimes....ok, most times. But stillt there are the times when he can't go and then we get screwed. We just have other slots we have to fill first, and accept we got a part timer in Carlos.

We seem to be so close, every yr, and then you look at positions like RB...we have one, when in fact....we really don't. Just too many holes to make this a # 1 priority, but I agree, a McCafferty would sure be nice to have. This is where we really need that hot shot GM, to make the value judgements on who we should get and at which point in the draft. Also, to guide us in FA, assuming this time guys will actually want to come here. I will say this. At least this yr , Kap isn't out there actively campaigning against us like happened last yr. That is the thing i will never forgive the guy for. A 49er has NEVER done that before. Hopefully we never see a disgrace like that again. One thing for sure....those guys in FA knew damn well when kap was advertising he wanted to be a BRown, then a JEt, then a Bill, then a Bronco....that told the guys in FA...."STAY AWAY"

I hope that is not a concern this yr. Wtih kap selling his place here and buying in NY area, it would seem not.
Dalvin Cook is a generational talent, trade down for him
Don't know if need Mcafrey, I am a big fan of his, and would like to see him, but more as a slot receiver, kick returner, and some time running back. I think there are plenty of big bruising backs we can pair with Hyde. Tweeners, guys who are near fullback in size, but more skilled as pass catchers, and power runners. Hyde needs to wake up and realize, he is not a power runner, his frame cant take the abuse, perhaps some late round tweener, and Mcafrey and Hyde as a three headed monster.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jan 27, 2017 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Don't know if need Mcafrey, I am a big fan of his, and would like to see him, but more as a slot receiver, kick returner, and some time running back. I think there are plenty of big bruising backs we can pair with Hyde. Tweeners, guys who are near fullback in size, but more skilled as pass catchers, and power runners. Hyde needs to wake up and realize, he is not a power runner, his frame cant take the abuse, perhaps some late round tweeter, and Mcafrey and Hyde as a three headed monster.

s**t that's exactly what the Niners need.
Our current running backs would have looked better, if we actually had a passing game
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
None of the running backs behind Hyde have the collective talent and explosiveness to really accomplish what Freeman and Coleman have in Shanny's system. I think we need to draft two more explosive players to pair with Hyde because he's too much of an injury liability to not get any high quality insurance for.

Some players I like are McCaffrey, Hunt, and Tarik Cohen.

I like Hunt, I really like Mixon (minus off field stuff could be a steal), McGuire, Gallman, McNichols. I hope we wait until the mid rounds to get a RB because it's such a deep class.

I'd keep an eye on Doug Martin as well...reports are saying he might get cut and all his guarantee cash is gone for 2017 cause he failed a drug test (reported was adderall)

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7426/doug-martin

I'd gladly take Hyde/Martin as our back field

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I like Hunt, I really like Mixon (minus off field stuff could be a steal), McGuire, Gallman, McNichols. I hope we wait until the mid rounds to get a RB because it's such a deep class.

I'd keep an eye on Doug Martin as well...reports are saying he might get cut and all his guarantee cash is gone for 2017 cause he failed a drug test (reported was adderall)

That'd be a hell of a 1-2 Punch!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

That'd be a hell of a 1-2 Punch!

Agreed I think he will be cheaper and is only 28...still like Mixon a lot but that's a hard one to evaluate with the off field stuff
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Hyde and Kamara or Hyde and Mixon
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Don't know if need Mcafrey, I am a big fan of his, and would like to see him, but more as a slot receiver, kick returner, and some time running back. I think there are plenty of big bruising backs we can pair with Hyde. Tweeners, guys who are near fullback in size, but more skilled as pass catchers, and power runners. Hyde needs to wake up and realize, he is not a power runner, his frame cant take the abuse, perhaps some late round tweener, and Mcafrey and Hyde as a three headed monster.

So what you're saying is he literally only comes off the field when the defense is out there.

If that's true -- I'd trade up to take him in the late 1st in a heartbeat.

A guy who is guaranteed to touch the ball 20x a game AND is a threat to take it to the house every time? Sign me up.
im guessing our only option should be the draft since Hyde will become a FA in 2018 and we dont want two of our starting RBs on hefty contracts. But if we dont see a future for Hyde here, i say we go after crowell. He has ties to Shanahan and i think he has a skillset that would do good in a ZBS.

In the draft, i really like that kid from TEN and James Conner. Would be cool to pick up two RBs with Conner being the late-mid round pick. If Conner can shed some weight like Bell, he can be just as explosive
Share 49ersWebzone