There are 133 users in the forums

Question about Shannahan and our potential future GM.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So it is being reported that Kyle Shannahan will most likely have the final say over the 53 man roster and could even have x amount of power over the drafts and etc. So if that is the case or the possibility of the case then why bring in a GM at all? Why not just keep Gamble promote him to GM and then Kyle has most of the power. Praage is going to be doing the contracts anyway most likely why even bring some one in?
Maybe Kyle doesn't want to work with Gamble? Maybe those reports aren't accurate? Not to mention free agency and the set up of the whole scouting department. If you are coming in you wanna win and go down with the guys you want and not a guy that's already here with a crappy roster.
I mean I've read reports that he doesn't want total control as well

A source close to Shanahan told Maiocco that, "Shanahan is not insisting on full control over personnel and is fine working together with a general manager, on whom he would lean, to execute the plan with free agency, trades, the draft and determining the 53-man roster."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2017/1/20/14339172/kyle-shanahan-49ers-full-control-over-roster-personnel?client=safari
Two reasons:

1. It's good to have a second voice that wasn't here in the recent past in the front office.

2. As Steve Young said last week on KNBR, a HC simply does not have the time to do all the day-to-day requirements of the GM on top of his HC duties.
Originally posted by captveg:
Two reasons:

1. It's good to have a second voice that wasn't here in the recent past in the front office.

2. As Steve Young said last week on KNBR, a HC simply does not have the time to do all the day-to-day requirements of the GM on top of his HC duties.

This. It's plain and obvious to me - this. I just don't get why the media wants to say, "Shanahan now has all the leverage and is going to insist on full control over the roster", blah, blah, blah. Shanahan seems like a pretty intelligent guy...you would think, given him being intelligent and him being a FIRST-TIME HC, that he would want to work in sync with a knowledgeable personnel guy as a GM - one with a good eye for talent like Paton or McDonough. Shanahan is going to be so busy being a HC for the first time, I'm sure he's going to welcome the cohesive effort in working with a talented, proven personnel evaluator such as the above in drafting, free agency, etc.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
So it is being reported that Kyle Shannahan will most likely have the final say over the 53 man roster and could even have x amount of power over the drafts and etc. So if that is the case or the possibility of the case then why bring in a GM at all? Why not just keep Gamble promote him to GM and then Kyle has most of the power. Praage is going to be doing the contracts anyway most likely why even bring some one in?

Regardless of who has the final say, the GM is an important position. That guy needs to take scout input, understand the HC's vision/preferences, and come up with different roster building plans. That'll require decision-making and prioritization skills, even if he's subordinate to the HC. Maybe Gamble could do it, but York already ruled him out and by some accounts, Gamble prefers working in the background.
I'm all for Kyle getting final say on the 53.
The GM getting final say is how we've had Marcus Rush languishing on the practice squad, and not even being discussed with the DC as an option.
Excellent question.

Maybe the Niners break w/convention and don't have a GM

They could break down the GM duties and responsibilities and give them to qualified individuals.

One guy to oversee draft, another to oversee FA etc.

This way these individuals would be more Expert in each category and be able to devote more time there and improve the processes.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Jan 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM ]
This could go so many ways, it's hard to pin down. With Baalke out, Jed/Paraag are in prime position to define how they want this FO to be. That could be good...or bad. We have Tom Gamble who's already an Assistant GM (like Paton is currently). He's heading up the scouting department and is making some minor signings in the interim. Is the new "GM" going to be a traditional GM or more of another Assistant GM with split duties? Is Kyle going to get X # of picks each draft? Control over the 53? Split? Honestly, this could go so many different ways it's very hard to get a read on. And the reporting structure is even more confusing. Report to Paraag or Jed? Same difference?

If it's muddied now for us fans, I wonder what the prospective GM's think. Looking forward to the hirings and Jed answering questions on these things at the introductory press conferences.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by captveg:
Two reasons:

This. It's plain and obvious to me - this. I just don't get why the media wants to say, "Shanahan now has all the leverage and is going to insist on full control over the roster", blah, blah, blah. Shanahan seems like a pretty intelligent guy...you would think, given him being intelligent and him being a FIRST-TIME HC, that he would want to work in sync with a knowledgeable personnel guy as a GM - one with a good eye for talent like Paton or McDonough. Shanahan is going to be so busy being a HC for the first time, I'm sure he's going to welcome the cohesive effort in working with a talented, proven personnel evaluator such as the above in drafting, free agency, etc.

Definitely this. Who wants to be hanging out as the one and ONLY one making the choice on draft day. You have to have someone you respect who has the knowledge to help make these kinds of decisions...and same goes for FA...especially FA. Also the more the merrier in FA. Any kind of connection with any player we are interested in , always helps. We have desperate need at most of the IMPACT slots, FR QB, NT, OLB, WR, RB...that we need the best in the business helping make our selections. Somehow under trent, we just didn't bring home the bacon on IMPACT players....figure one from draft...and then the rest of IMPACT players is probably going to be from FA. We need a guy with proven track record to help out there. Our impact players currently are :

Most of the OL (but especially Trenton)
RB....Carlos...unfortunately, just some of the time.
Wish list...Myles....just pray Cleve takes DeShaun /Trubisk. Myles would be a huge chunk of getting that IMPACT list started. I think CLE can't resist Watson, after he beat Alabama.
DL...not there yet, but DeFo has a good shot at being an IMPACT player. This yr he could really show us Just how good he is....and that would be super charged if we could sign an IMPACT NT.

And that just isn't enough of IMPACT players to make a great team. Obviously we are missing the #1 IMPACT player at Qb. And here we have to hope kyle finds a guy he likes and coaches him up. Don't see any Wentz's , Daks, Goffs out there.

Share 49ersWebzone