LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Adam Gase sets the record straight

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GEEK:
This just proves how big of an arrogant SOB Baalke ended up being for the 49ers.
- Disagreement with talent utilization and development along with coaching-York fiction led to Harbaugh's firing.
He was right about that. Do you ignore the hate on Roman? In Harbaugh's last season with us we got a very good WR corps, offense sucked even more.

- Going all-in on the ACL value bargain bin with minimal to negative ROI.
stop revising history. He was NOT going all-in by any means. Most of these guys were day 3 picks.

- Devaluing the QB position by thinking Kap/Gabbert/McCoy/Ponder/3rd stringers was going to cut it for 3+ years.
You are mixing up way too much. Kaep was our franchise QB in 2014 whereas most of us were convinced that he is NOT the guy in 2015.

- Thinking he can have his cake and eat it too with promoting Tomsula and attempting to hire Gase as the OC.
I don't think that he planned it from the beginning.

The list goes on, but it's partly on York for putting all of his eggs in the GM's basket to right the coaching and roster situation. It backfired big time, and now the 49ers need to restock at nearly every single position.
This is the job of a GM.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

.....but thats none of my business.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
On a side note, this just makes me so much angrier at Baalke. His uncooperative attitude and poor decisions all contributed to the past three head coaches getting fired.

This sums it up for me too. No faster way to get fired as a GM than to fail at QB, fail at a HC hire and fail at drafting any impact players outside the top 10.

Always knew Baalke was behind most of the bonehead mistakes but Jed York is the little pushover who let this man run this org into the ground. Even when the zeppelin was crashing, Jed was still optimistic for some reason
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
But... But.... But... Jed is the devil! Who only cares about PSL money....
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
I still have ill feelings toward Jed because he sided with Trent, since Trent ran the show, instead of Harbaugh. It took this long to say Trent had to go. Why did it have to take this many flubs?

That's true. Ultimately, York's mistake was in keeping Baalke too long. And before that, I don't think he mediated Baalke and Harbaugh very well.

IIRC Baalke was the first GM he hired and I'm sure that relationship goes back to when they were on staff. Since it was York's first go around, I wouldn't be surprised if he felt inclined to give the GM the benefit of the doubt because that's the order of things.

IMO that's a common mistake for new leaders to go strictly by the book. A lot of times, things aren't so well-defined. The only absolute is that the person who bears the most responsibility is the only opinion that matters. In the last four years, he should've imposed his will on Baalke (and Harbaugh). Perhaps if he forced Harbaugh to hire a new OC and put Roman as an offensive assistant, things would've been different. But, going forward, I am hopeful he learned some lessons and should be wiser than 2011 Jed.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 18, 2017 at 4:31 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Always knew Baalke was behind most of the bonehead mistakes but Jed York is the little pushover who let this man run this org into the ground. Even when the zeppelin was crashing, Jed was still optimistic for some reason

Yeah! Speaking truth's! What good owner lets his GM do his job! How dare he! All the good owners meddle in there football operations. FACTS.
Originally posted by susweel:
Worst gm in niner history. Set the franchise back at least 5 years.

Donahue was still worse.
"I wanted to find a way to be a part of what they had really got going on there," Gase said. "The main reason was because of Jed. I wanted to do whatever I could to help him. And felt like he knew I'd be invested in that organization because between Jed and Paraag, my relationship with them was really good with them when I was there previously. That's why I was heavily interested in getting that job because I wanted to do something to help those guys. With them there, that was very positive for me."

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
"I wanted to find a way to be a part of what they had really got going on there," Gase said. "The main reason was because of Jed. I wanted to do whatever I could to help him. And felt like he knew I'd be invested in that organization because between Jed and Paraag, my relationship with them was really good with them when I was there previously. That's why I was heavily interested in getting that job because I wanted to do something to help those guys. With them there, that was very positive for me."

TK can always spin it as Gase being in on the propaganda due to his relationship with Jed.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zonkers:
TK can always spin it as Gase being in on the propaganda due to his relationship with Jed.

That dude has a serious Jed complex. I don't really understand it.

I'm no Jed defender. But TK makes the whole situation really weird. Even when presented with direct quotes from all parties involved he can't alter his opinion. He clearly has emotional investment in taking Jed down. There must be something in his past. Just sounds like a really insecure guy.
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Can't lie...that bold does seem a bit fishy. Maybe he really is friends with Jed and is throwing them a solid on the heels of this Shanahan hire..."See, it's all good fans!"
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Yeah! Speaking truth's! What good owner lets his GM do his job! How dare he! All the good owners meddle in there football operations. FACTS.

yeah you're right its not the owners job to choose a GM or get rid of one who has been running the org into the ground for 3 years making blatant horrible decisions .FACTS!
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Jan 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by GEEK:
This just proves how big of an arrogant SOB Baalke ended up being for the 49ers.
- Disagreement with talent utilization and development along with coaching-York fiction led to Harbaugh's firing.
He was right about that. Do you ignore the hate on Roman? In Harbaugh's last season with us we got a very good WR corps, offense sucked even more.

- Going all-in on the ACL value bargain bin with minimal to negative ROI.
stop revising history. He was NOT going all-in by any means. Most of these guys were day 3 picks.

- Devaluing the QB position by thinking Kap/Gabbert/McCoy/Ponder/3rd stringers was going to cut it for 3+ years.
You are mixing up way too much. Kaep was our franchise QB in 2014 whereas most of us were convinced that he is NOT the guy in 2015.

- Thinking he can have his cake and eat it too with promoting Tomsula and attempting to hire Gase as the OC.
I don't think that he planned it from the beginning.

The list goes on, but it's partly on York for putting all of his eggs in the GM's basket to right the coaching and roster situation. It backfired big time, and now the 49ers need to restock at nearly every single position.
This is the job of a GM.

I don't ignore the hate on Roman, but players like Martin, Jenkins, James, and others just never panned out with any coaching staff. And for the record, I was okay with the dismissal contingent they were going to better utilize the offense...which never happened due to bad coaching/drafting.

Redmond, Thomas, Carradine, Lattimore were 2nd-4th round picks. I don't care about Day 3 picks, I care about specific rounds. And he drafted a lot of ricks in the mid-rounds.

I don't think it was the plan all along, but it's an insult to be passed over for the HC gig and then get offered the OC.

It's the job of the owner to identify and fix if your GM is hurting the team, and it was clear that Baalke should have been fired when Tomsula was fired.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can't lie...that bold does seem a bit fishy. Maybe he really is friends with Jed and is throwing them a solid on the heels of this Shanahan hire..."See, it's all good fans!"

Its only fishy if you want it to be.
Share 49ersWebzone