LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 429 users in the forums

Adam Gase sets the record straight

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"When asked if he was told he had to promote Tomsula as defensive coordinator, Gase answered, "I don't remember that being a conversation...."

So who was it that forced Tomsula into Gase's DC? Doesn't look like it was Trent.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Baalke making all the decisions was a good thing, it held him accountable, and inevitably lead to his firing!

well, it did cost us a championship caliber team.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/adam-gase-sets-record-straight-trent-baalke-hired-jim-tomsula

On who had final say on who would be hired:

"I knew that Trent was the final decision-maker in San Francisco heading into the interview process," Gase said. "When we first met, when it was all four in there, that was explained to me from the get-go, that Trent ran the organization, as far as who's getting hired for the head-coaching job. I knew that going in."

On if it was insisted that Tomsula be retained and hired as DC:

"When asked if he was told he had to promote Tomsula as defensive coordinator, Gase answered, "I don't remember that being a conversation. We spit-balled a lot of different scenarios of how we were going about putting a staff together.""

Some other very interesting nuggets in this article also, great work by MM. Seems to have gotten Jed off the hook for some of the blame folks have heaped on him imo. Not all the way off the hook for me personally, but its good to know where blame lies now in this situation.

Nothing new to me, always clear Baalke was a moron. But the Baalke homers on here loved him no matter what until the 2nd half of last season.

Baalke/Harbs had a power struggle. Baalke won and had all the power.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
It still doesn't mean York told Baalke to hire Tomsula. Just because York told Gase going into the interview that everything was up to Baalke doesn't mean it's true. I agree that it was time for Baalke to be fired, but I still can't see him choosing Tomsula over Gase.

Maiocco's article mentions that Gase and Tomsula were the final two and Tomsula later offered OC to Gase. It could be that Baalke wanted both, but wanted continuity at HC, so he picked Jimmy T.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"When asked if he was told he had to promote Tomsula as defensive coordinator, Gase answered, "I don't remember that being a conversation...."

So who was it that forced Tomsula into Gase's DC? Doesn't look like it was Trent.

Or maybe that was an unsubstantiated rumor. Who said Tomsula was forced into Gase as the DC? Was it ... Gase? All I know is when a HC with nothing to lose has the chance to take a shot and he AIMS at one guy, you should kinda believe him.
Tomsula as DC was false. gase wasn't even asked
Quick aside: Maiocco is a pretty great reporter. Always asks good questions, always keeps a level head on information he receives and relates without pushing one side or another too much.
[ Edited by captveg on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:36 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Nothing new to me, always clear Baalke was a moron. But the Baalke homers on here loved him no matter what until the 2nd half of last season.

Baalke/Harbs had a power struggle. Baalke won and had all the power.
Harbaugh also had a power struggle with York...just for the record.

Baalke, good riddance. You need your head examined.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM ]
I still have ill feelings toward Jed because he sided with Trent, since Trent ran the show, instead of Harbaugh. It took this long to say Trent had to go. Why did it have to take this many flubs?
Jed believed in Baalke over Harbaugh.

I mean I don't know. It's really hard to blame him. 99% of the time, you always need to side with the GM in these cases. Otherwise you end up in a Philadelphia situation where your head coach gets promoted into GM once you fire the GM.

Too bad our GM was such a piece of s**t.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
I still have ill feelings toward Jed because he sided with Trent, since Trent ran the show, instead of Harbaugh. It took this long to say Trent had to go. Why did it have to take this many flubs?
Why? Because he did his job pretty well most of the time. And you do never ever give a n00b HC power, never! I don't even know where this idea came from.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
This just proves how big of an arrogant SOB Baalke ended up being for the 49ers.
- Disagreement with talent utilization and development along with coaching-York fiction led to Harbaugh's firing.
- Going all-in on the ACL value bargain bin with minimal to negative ROI.
- Devaluing the QB position by thinking Kap/Gabbert/McCoy/Ponder/3rd stringers was going to cut it for 3+ years.
- Thinking he can have his cake and eat it too with promoting Tomsula and attempting to hire Gase as the OC.
- Massive coaching staff attrition due to the Tomsula hire (Gase - Fangio combo would have been awesome).
- Reports of him working with the players directly, and undermining the coaching staff was a big red flag.

The list goes on, but it's partly on York for putting all of his eggs in the GM's basket to right the coaching and roster situation. It backfired big time, and now the 49ers need to restock at nearly every single position.

I give York credit for having so much trust and investment in the GM to get the train back on the tracks. That's why I think we have a list of very good candidates for the GM spot along with one of the best HC prospects this offseason.

And if I had to guess what York/Marathe have been candid about during the interviews, it's that they gave too much latitude to Baalke, and it had an impact on player and coaching morale, development, and execution.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GEEK:
This just proves how big of an arrogant SOB Baalke ended up being for the 49ers.
- Disagreement with talent utilization and development along with coaching-York fiction led to Harbaugh's firing.
- Going all-in on the ACL value bargain bin with minimal to negative ROI.
- Devaluing the QB position by thinking Kap/Gabbert/McCoy/Ponder/3rd stringers was going to cut it for 3+ years.
- Thinking he can have his cake and eat it too with promoting Tomsula and attempting to hire Gase as the OC.
- Massive coaching staff attrition due to the Tomsula hire (Gase - Fangio combo would have been awesome).
- Reports of him working with the players directly, and undermining the coaching staff was a big red flag.

The list goes on, but it's partly on York for putting all of his eggs in the GM's basket to right the coaching and roster situation. It backfired big time, and now the 49ers need to restock at nearly every single position.

I give York credit for having so much trust and investment in the GM to get the train back on the tracks. That's why I think we have a list of very good candidates for the GM spot along with one of the best HC prospects this offseason.

And if I had to guess what York/Marathe have been candid about during the interviews, it's that they gave too much latitude to Baalke, and it had an impact on player and coaching morale, development, and execution.

Worst gm in niner history. Set the franchise back at least 5 years.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Like I said, Baalke turned Gase down and not Jed.

Jed gets a bad rap for meddling which is incorrect. If he deserves criticism its for keeping Baalke too long.

Agree. Jimmy T over Gase was Baalke's mistake. Jed's mistake was keeping Baalke over Harbaugh, and sticking with him after the Jimmy T fiasco. He admits he should've seen that "Baalkelly" wouldn't work, and that hindsight is 20/20 regarding Harbaugh, while stating that he understands that the simple fact of the matter is he is going to be judged based off the teams performance.

I don't hate on Jed. I don't like some of the decisions made, but the consequences we've faced I'd like to believe have taught Jed some things. We're in good position to land a very highly-regarded HC candidate, and with the right personnel additions, this could turn the team around into a winner again similarly to Harbaugh. Just need to trust that the HC-GM will work harmoniously and we'll be able to sustain that success for much longer.

On a side note, this just makes me so much angrier at Baalke. His uncooperative attitude and poor decisions all contributed to the past three head coaches getting fired.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Laughable how Baalke wasn't fired along with the caveman. Here's my question,whatever happened to the report that Gase was Baalkes hire and Jed threw a monkey wrench and told Gase that he would only get the job if he made the idiot DC? Did Jed make up the report to keep his friend Baalke from getting much blame for a horrible hire ?

I am starting to believe that Jed takes a lot of blame that he hasn't earned. At this point I blame Baalke for firing Harbaugh and point to his comment about Tomsula having more wins if he had been coach in early '14 as my reasoning. I think Baalke had just as large an ego as Harbaugh and I think the Gase/Tomsula flub was Baalke trying to back that open and public statement.

Ultimately Jed is responsible, but I don't think he's the bumbling hack that the bay area media makes him out to be.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
I am starting to believe that Jed takes a lot of blame that he hasn't earned. At this point I blame Baalke for firing Harbaugh and point to his comment about Tomsula having more wins if he had been coach in early 14 as my reasoning. I think Baalke had just as large an ego as Harbaugh and I think the Gase/Tomsula flub was Baalke trying to back that open and public statement.

Ultimately the Jed is responsible, but I don't think he's the bumbling hack that the bay area media makes him out to be.
I'm pretty convinced Baalke had some problems with Harbs and conviced Jed to fire him,
Share 49ersWebzone