There are 141 users in the forums

Question Niner Fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We may have the weakest roster in the NFL, and a meddling owner, who's best buddy leaks everything to the media, so yeah, not great!

All this great depth we have heard about fromTrent Baalkie, turned out to be a smoke screen, his draft picks weren't starting because they were awful. I bought the depth lie. When we had the mass retirement, and free agent exodus a few years back, I wasn't worried, Trent, and the media said we had the deepest roster in the NFL, yeah, no, no we didn't it. Deep maybe, deep s**t.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We may have the weakest roster in the NFL, and a meddling owner, who's best buddy leaks everything to the media, so yeah, not great!

All this great depth we have heard about fromTrent Baalkie, turned out to be a smoke screen, his draft picks weren't starting because they were awful. I bought the depth lie. When we had the mass retirement, and free agent exodus a few years back, I wasn't worried, Trent, and the media said we had the deepest roster in the NFL, yeah, no, no we didn't it. Deep maybe, deep s**t.

It was deep when we were on our Championship run for 3 years but not after that...at all. The 2015 off season wiped almost all the veterans from that old regime off the roster and left us with the 6th youngest team over night. So now we're young and NOT deep and b/c of all the injuries and coaching changes, still VERY inexperienced.

The only real young player who's excelled was Buckner b/c he was able to fight through injuries and still play, played over 1,000 snaps and naturally, was able to grow and develop while playing all those snaps and received several accolades along the way. Talent wise, he was also a top 10 pick (only one we've had). He has now become a cornerstone. But who's the depth behind him?

We have a long ways to go before we start talking depth again.

There's a reason why most pro bowlers and all pro's are long standing veterans. They took years and years to develop just like our old regime.
Young players with potential on the defensive side. Lack of depth also. Injuries tanked the defense further. Without veteran presence of Bow, to qb the defense due to injuries. We aren't as bad as last year without the injuries. Defense very close to being good and stable.

Offensive side needs a lot of direction and infuse more talent. The current guys we have are meh. Offensive line seemed to be OK, though Staley may only have 1 or 2 years left.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 26, 2017 at 7:44 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the browns had the worst record, but we are easily the worst team in the NFL.
Roster sucks but there are reasons for optimism. No toxic contracts, buttloads of draft picks, buttloads of cash. If the new GM can do things smartly we could easily add 5-10 new starters from the draft and FA alone. Loys of guys coming back from injury which is a huge bonus. Hopefully Bow comes back strong but looking at FA for another ILB would be smart. It all depends on how things work out. Land Garrett and B Williams and all of a sudden the front 7 is beast again.
The NFL strives for mediocrity, with a decent draft, a few free agent signings and a healthy roster this team could move from lower bottom to upper bottom.
Originally posted by NCommand:

It was deep when we were on our Championship run for 3 years but not after that...at all. The 2015 off season wiped almost all the veterans from that old regime off the roster and left us with the 6th youngest team over night. So now we're young and NOT deep and b/c of all the injuries and coaching changes, still VERY inexperienced.

The only real young player who's excelled was Buckner b/c he was able to fight through injuries and still play, played over 1,000 snaps and naturally, was able to grow and develop while playing all those snaps and received several accolades along the way. Talent wise, he was also a top 10 pick (only one we've had). He has now become a cornerstone. But who's the depth behind him?

There's a reason why most pro bowlers and all pro's are long standing veterans. They took years and years to develop just like our old regime.

I truly believe any good team really only needs 6-7 top ten players to make the play offs. if half or more of those guys are pro bowlers, you have shot at the title.

Buckener, Reed, and Brock, MIGHT be one of those players in the right system. Hyde, Staley, and Mc Donald, MIGHT be one of those players in the right system.

An above average QB, a real threat at WR, a quality change of pace back, two line backers, thats what I feel we need.

If we can find those players, blue chippers, top ten kind of guys, at any of those five slots, we have a good chance at returning to relevance next season.

With 100 mil in cap space (assuming Kap bounces) the #2 pick in the draft, and what a total of ten more picks after that, we have a chance to find those guys this off season.

This offseason needs to go well.

I truly believe any good team really only needs 6-7 top ten players to make the play offs. if half or more of those guys are pro bowlers, you have shot at the title.

Buckener, Reed, and Brock, MIGHT be one of those players in the right system. Hyde, Staley, and Mc Donald, MIGHT be one of those players in the right system.

An above average QB, a real threat at WR, a quality change of pace back, two line backers, thats what I feel we need.

If we can find those players, blue chippers, top ten kind of guys, at any of those five slots, we have a good chance at returning to relevance next season.

With 100 mil in cap space (assuming Kap bounces) the #2 pick in the draft, and what a total of ten more picks after that, we have a chance to find those guys this off season.

I'm with you. We talk about "impact players." Man, after researching these 9 GM's, it's obviously those are very hard to find...over the past 4 years, all have 2 or 3 impact players and that's it. So like you said, if you can get a few of them plus a few more playing at that level or close to it (esp. at the most crucial positions like QB/Pass Rusher) and still have a lot of quality starters and key role players, you can compete every year in this league as long as you avoid the injury bug and even more so if you have stellar coaching and outstanding X's and O's coordinators. Welcome Kyle Shanahan!

Totally agree about Buckner

IMO, Trent Brown also excelled
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

I'm with you. We talk about "impact players." Man, after researching these 9 GM's, it's obviously those are very hard to find...over the past 4 years, all have 2 or 3 impact players and that's it. So like you said, if you can get a few of them plus a few more playing at that level or close to it (esp. at the most crucial positions like QB/Pass Rusher) and still have a lot of quality starters and key role players, you can compete every year in this league as long as you avoid the injury bug and even more so if you have stellar coaching and outstanding X's and O's coordinators. Welcome Kyle Shanahan!

you and your impact players. Where is the spreed sheets?

Buffalo let Hogan walk and he goes to NE and balls out.

Was he an "impact player" in Buffalo? is he one in NE with far better coaches and a HOF QB?

There's like 1,000 reasons how a player performs and you touch on a few and deem them "impact players"

lol

It's hard to say...most injured team since 2013 and according to Better Rivals, second youngest team in the NFL.

Throw in crappy coaching and scheme and you have a 2-win team.

My 'guess' is that there is some legit talent on this team...lots of quality starters...but it's missing the impact players (and health) for each unit in QB, NT, OLB & P/KR. WR is not always needed to win a Superbowl but we sure could use a big bodied impact player at the Z!

And above that, it's missing a pro scheme and quality coaches who can develop players within it.

Unfortunately, this looks a lot like us....unnhhhh...ok, EXACTLY like us. Most of the time we don't think of NT, OLB, WR as being necessary to have a great team. QB? Yes...we all think of that. But those are the other 3 impact players that we HAVE to have ...a Myles Garrett, an Edelman, a younger Vince Wilfork. Outfit your team with 4 impact guys at those 4 positions,....ought to include RB also....and there you find the great teams who are contiuously great. Trent had a lot of "good" players, but how long since we have had another Patrick Willis? And even when we had him, his last yr, maybe two, he was not at full throttle. Great teams HAVE TO have 4 mostly key impact players, and we have had none since Justin and Patrick left. We have had great RBs all along, but Frank ....there is only one frank.

So we have players that can fill out positions, but we don't have anybody who is an IMPACT player at NT, OLB, WR, and certainly not QB. We do have a very nice OL, miles better than anytime in last 3 yrs or more, but Trent either didn't think it necessary or just didn't see impact players as key to greatness. It is why Myles G is so attractive, in that we would finally have one of the four impact slots filled. True at LB, we got zippo, and i am not very hopeful about Bow coming back at anything like he was before. Two majors in 2 yrs? Bad news from a medical standpoint.

So at LB, we have no impact player, but really we have no LB starters. Why or how trent let that slip by....who knows? So we do have a coterie of good players, but right now are at zero guys for impact players at the 4 key slots. Qbs this yr are not in a class with last yrs. Doubtful we come up with an impact player there. So best we can do is work on that Z WR, that NT, that OLB, RB. Hyde is fine, but really hard for him to stay healthy. That takes him out of the "impact" class. If as NFL.com thinks, Cleve takes DeShaun Watson with #1 pick, then we finally have our first impact guy, Myles. The problem with the #2 pick in the draft this yr is that nobody out there warrants being picked as a Qb that high. Sure someone, maybe even us can do it, but still, you are not getting an impact Qb.

The fascinating part of this draft is, that kyle S may be able to take a non impact QB and actually eventually bring him around. If he takes Trubisk, then we don't get our impact player at OLB. One well known mock had us taking Myles, McCafferty, and then Kayaa(supposedly the smartest of all the QB class) as picks in rds 1,2,3. Another had us taking Trubisk. I am not complaining about having the 2nd, 34th, 66th, and 98th picks. It is just whether we get a ccuple...or even one impact guy....depends on what Cleve does. The more i think about it, i think Cleve does it again and picks a QB with their #1 pick and it would be Watson. They just can't get over his play in NCAA game....for second yr in a row.

Our OL is our building block. Even without anohter C, we have a very fine and young OL. Certainly good enough to protect an impact FR QB. That is a huge step up from last yr. We got incredibly lucky wiht Trenton. Come to think about it, he could actually qualify for one impact player, young and raw as he is. TEs, are fine. X and Y WRs are ok. DBs? With all we have drafted, we still may need two startiing DBs. LBs....we have NONE. Our RB would be impact IF he could stay healthy. But he can't so we need impact guy there. Our DL, while injured, would sure be helped by an impact NT. Do that, and we have one schid hot DL. But again, it is the IMPACT NT holding us back. Just getting an NT is fine. But an impact guy there....makes that front line ferocious. So we'll see there. Myles Garrett could sex up the LBs so that just decent ones...not impact guys...could make our front 7 really starting to get back to 49er normal. That is, a great front 7.

So we have players....but where we really are hurting are the 4 IMPACT guys we must get. Myles would be a great place to start, and once again, FA could help us out a ton. Getting those guys to come here, however, assuming F.O is willing to overpay, may be a bit easier this yr with kyle here instead of tomsul...or chip. Top OC in the league coming to be HC....that sounds like a drawing card we have not had in some time.

Question is how many of the 4 impact players can we realistically land? QB...nope. Not available. NT? Yes. OLB ? Yes. Z WR, yes. But in draft impact guys really are going to be around the top 5 guys and we can land one. In FA, can we finally attract and pay whatever it takes to get that impact NT? Perhaps. Z WR?maybe. OLB...depends on Cleve. And finally Qb...not this yr. But with Kyle, maybe he can take a non impact QB and make us an impact guy.
Originally posted by SoCold:

Was he an "impact player" in Buffalo? is he one in NE with far better coaches and a HOF QB?

There's like 1,000 reasons how a player performs and you touch on a few and deem them "impact players"

lol

System, and staff have so much to do with it. I remember under Mooch, running west coast offense with mostly zone blocking on run plays, a kid named Kevin Barlow look pretty damned good, under Nolan, in power run scheme between the tackles, he was an about bum! System, scheme, and staff, can make or break a players career.
With Shanahan bringing a killer offensive mentality to the team, between FA and the draft, I can foresee a jump in productivity. By that I mean a fresh cadre of QB's, with maybe Garrapolo getting his chance to be a full-time starter. Getting Cousins seems like a pretty big longshot. Beefing up the RB corps shouldn't be difficult or that costly...some good FA's and the draft is loaded with 'em this year. Ditto with receivers...some good vets in FA and some dandies in the draft. OL's not bad, but it's always a good idea to invest in some more talent.

Defensively, shoring up the middle is priority #1. Again, between FA and the draft, that's very fixable. Getting a true stud NT is imperative...Brandon Williams would be ideal, but there are other vets worth signing, then draft a young stud to develop. ILB also needs beefing up....even if Bowman & Ray Ray come back strong, much better depth is required. Pass rusher...you bet. Would love to get Barnett...love his all-around game and with Blair, he'd give us two young, very talented DL. Also believe the S position needs some upgrading...Reid's game has slipped...not sure Tartt is ready to be a full-time S. Bethea needs to go. You get my drift.

Shanahan needs to bring in a veteran DC...somebody he won't have to worry about and just let him whip the defense into shape. My choice would be Donatell...very experienced & excellent defensive coach. KS may have other ideas, & that's fine...he's coached with a number of 'em.

ST's may also need some tweaking...based on signing another P and PK, it could be they'll move on from Dawson, we'll see. Definitely need some better KR's...some guys who can not only improve field position, but take it to the house on occasion.

Shanahan and the new GM will have very good opportunities to improve the roster quite a bit...anxious to see them get started, but having a new coach fresh from the SB can't be a bad thing, either.
Originally posted by SoCold:

lol

Does anyone translate, SoCold? Anyone?
Share 49ersWebzone