LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Question Niner Fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are we really as bad as everyone says we are(TV Media). They pretty much say our roster is trash. I remember us leading/being in some game this year and the falling off in second half. Seems like some of that was coaching, as I think our DC sucked really bad. So could a good coach, FA and draft make us respectable or a playoff team?
Respectable, yes. Playoffs probably take a little longer. We carried a serious injury list last year which impacted.
We are that bad.
It all starts at the top. Need I say more?
It turns out that most of Baalke's draft picks are pretty damn bad at football.
Baalke invested in too many projects, injured guys and mental cases while letting talent we already had inexplicably walk.
(How long till niners compete for super bowl) x (How many players currently on the roster will play in that super bowl) = how badly the roster sucks

everyone likes analytics
we're bad. baalke's problem and the reason we're here right now is that we overvalued our roster. we needed upgrades that he thought we could get by with and it bit him and chip in the ass
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Are we really as bad as everyone says we are(TV Media). They pretty much say our roster is trash. I remember us leading/being in some game this year and the falling off in second half. Seems like some of that was coaching, as I think our DC sucked really bad. So could a good coach, FA and draft make us respectable or a playoff team?

Coaching was just as bad as the roster this year. I think with good coaching this team could have repeated last seasons record. We are a handful of players and a great coaching staff away from being taken serious again. Unfortunately the players we need are in important hard to find positions.
I know our roster is not good, it just seems like a few good fa and decent draft could maybe get us 7 or 9 wins with the right coaches getting hired.

we dont have enough blue chip players. Baalke focused on depth and ignored positions of need.

Next year we can look at having 5 blue chip players: Buckner, Brown, Staley, Ward, Bowman, Robinson. If we can add a Garrett and a blue chip player through FA like Jeffrey, Zeitler, Brandon Williams...then we could be on the way to exceeding expectations.
We aren't that bad. That being said, we got MORE competitive towards the end of the year, with MORE injuries to our projected starters. So.. With that logic, and some Mike Singletary Math and film review, we should be better next year by default if our injured players return.
We are who we thought we were!!!!!
It's hard to say...most injured team since 2013 and according to Better Rivals, second youngest team in the NFL.

Throw in crappy coaching and scheme and you have a 2-win team.

My 'guess' is that there is some legit talent on this team...lots of quality starters...but it's missing the impact players (and health) for each unit in QB, NT, OLB & P/KR. WR is not always needed to win a Superbowl but we sure could use a big bodied impact player at the Z!

And above that, it's missing a pro scheme and quality coaches who can develop players within it.
Great teams don't have superstar talent at every position group. They have positional balance. That's what we lack. Forgetting about QB for a minute, the weakest units are WR, OLB, ILB (Given Bowman's injury), TE, and Safety. The failings of the OLBs puts pressure on the weak ILBs, which puts pressure on the safeties. No position group is able to compensate.

There is definite talent across the roster, but just isn't functional yet.
Share 49ersWebzone