LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

How long are you prepared to wait for success from new GM/HC (winning season of 9-7)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long are you prepared to wait for success from new GM/HC (winning season of 9-7)?

The rebuild will be harder than people think, a lot of the free agents you would want are probably going to be resigned by their teams, the 49ers have a lot of cap, but teams seem to have enough cap to sign the desirable players. either that you will have to pay outrageous amount of money to players who are not worth it and get more than likely get burned for it.

Some people may want to get Ashlon J, but he has been injury prone. There is just not that many players that in the end that will be available.

So it will have to be the draft. doing a lot of trading back to get extra picks this draft.
Less than 1 Year... We need to put up Championship banners asap
It really depends on how quickly we can land a QB. I think the biggest deal is reaching sustained winning. It does no good to pop above .500 for a season and be unable to maintain it. But the QB conundrum should be solved either in 2017 or 2018. Either way, I expect a "competitive" team in 2019 and a consistent winner by 2020.
This mess won't be cleaned up anytime soon. Unless we get incredibly lucky it will take at least three years to rebuild the roster. But that includes finding more cornerstone pieces in the process. It's sad that the structure of the ownership is hampering their ability to find a good GM. As long as the next GM/HC have the ability to identify great talent and be in or put themselves in position to draft that talent we'll be okay. It just won't happen overnight.
Originally posted by WildBill:
The rebuild will be harder than people think, a lot of the free agents you would want are probably going to be resigned by their teams, the 49ers have a lot of cap, but teams seem to have enough cap to sign the desirable players. either that you will have to pay outrageous amount of money to players who are not worth it and get more than likely get burned for it.

Some people may want to get Ashlon J, but he has been injury prone. There is just not that many players that in the end that will be available.

So it will have to be the draft. doing a lot of trading back to get extra picks this draft.

Alshon is a risk too rich for my taste. I do think though you can still lure 2-4 starters at positions of need/back ups that still play a good amount of snaps like a RB/WR/CB(if Jimmy goes at FS) or simply for depth. There's also the trading route in FA and in the draft(you can get a starter for someone going younger/cheaper).

I think for example if you can get a QB,NT,OLB,any of the above... you're heading in the draft nicely. Man I can't wait till FA to put it all to rest to portray how the draft might go and start the mocks :)
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM ]
0 seasons as I won't be watching until the Yorks are done with this team.
As bad as the roster is, it'll take a full 3 years,at least, to get back to respectability.
Agree with the majority, 3 seasons til I hopefully see improvement
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
0 seasons as I won't be watching until the Yorks are done with this team.

See you in 20 years or so.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Agree with the majority, 3 seasons til I hopefully see improvement

Usually it takes 3 seasons to be back to being relevant or the coach is gone.

Next year. I'm not saying fire him if he doesn't but the bar is set at playoffs no matter what. We have 80 mil and the 2nd pick. If NO can do it when they acquired Brees, and Denver can do it when they picked up Miller so can we. Focus on one side of the ball and slowly build the other in the following years.
Things change in the NFL but there are teams that are perpetual losers. I hope we don't submerge into that category. I don't think we're that far away from 6,7, or 8 wins. The only hard and fast rule is finding a QB to be the centerpiece for the next decade.
Theoretically we could never make it to the SuperBowl let alone win it for the next 300 years.
1 month
Do you feel lucky? Well do ya?

This team is a FQB and pass rusher away from being competitive. If the FQB is really good right away, it will mean the playoffs could be close at hand. It could happen next year or not at all for many years as these guys don't come easily.

Why be optimistic?
  1. K Shanahan is evidently pretty good at assessing QBs
  2. K Shanahan has some experience helping QBs reach their potential
  3. The niners are not totally without talent--OL, DL, TE, DBs are building blocks to be happy with.

Why be pessimistic?
  1. FQBs are difficult to find and the niners cupboard is bare--unless Shanahan can help Kaepernick become one
  2. Pass rushers are not common
  3. Luck is not always available, but bad luck has been. If the niners get Garrett in the draft and he breaks his leg shopping...
  4. Cousins is more an OK QB than a FQB in my opinion and I'd hate to see the team mortgage the future trading for him

Improvements that could turn the team around quickly:
  1. Top QB drafted--I don't see them trading for Cousins so they will have to keep/pick up a FA and draft the future FQB
  2. Top OLB pass rusher drafted or signed--Garrett could fall to the niners but they should take another as well
  3. NT improved so our huge DEs can be more effective and the middle solidified, draft should have a few
  4. ILBs must be improved--FA or draft or both
Share 49ersWebzone