LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

How long are you prepared to wait for success from new GM/HC (winning season of 9-7)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long are you prepared to wait for success from new GM/HC (winning season of 9-7)?

2nd year we should be challenging teams for Playoffs
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
3 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if its another 2-14 season next year. Hopefully Jed isn't a dumbass and panics

No way in hell does that happen , I expect 6 wins atleast next season if we actually use free agency and draft well
1989-92 Cowboys template
It depends. The reason why i hated baalke is because i never seen a man so disinterested to improve his team. He was literally against improving his team. With that said, if this new regime tries to improve this team, but bad stuff happens, like injuries, then i can over look that. With that said, with a competent HC and GM, i would give them two years to be 9-7. We are a 4 win team right now.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
It's interesting to see the disparity - for me, I'm much more interested in creating that stable, high endy dynasty like we had in the 80s and 90s and as the Pats do now. I'll need to go and research how long it took Bellicheck but I don't think the Pats were in as much of a hole as we are now.

I'd be happy with a long term approach, even if slow over 5 years, which then led to yearly play-off runs (or dominance!!) for an extended period or a decade.
Question is too general.

Looking for immediate focus and improvement on run defense. That is job one for us. We need to see steps taken there right away and positive scheme impact by week eight.

We need to see mid round qb picks starting this draft going to forever or until we find/develop the next joe.

As far as actually winning, 2018 i would like to see us be a 6 - 10 team. Its ambitious but i think it can be done. Maybe a playoff spot 2020 if we have the skill players and the shanny playbook is understood by the oline.
I said 4 but I may have read the question the way I wanted to.

I think Shanahan and the new GM will get 3 year cushion of sucking. 4th year I think they'll have to perform or someone is losing their job.

The way York sold this job if they fire anyone after 3 years they will have a hard time getting quality coaches in here.

Now personally I think we have enough pieces, cap space and draft value to not need that much but the biggest issue is QB. With McDaniels & Garoppolo option going bye bye any QB will require a solid 2 year break in period.

To compete without good QB play would require a ton of luck in the draft/free agency/injuries across the rest of the team.
This a full blown ground up, rebuild, it will take time. 3-4 years. We have a number of needs. We are good at O-line, defensive back, and safety, for now.

To be competitive we need:
An edge rusher, and pocket collapsing nose tackle.
We need two inside linebackers, who can stuff the run, and cover, Bowman is done in my opinion, no longer reliable for a whole season.

We need, a top ten Wide Receiver.
A franchise QB.
A running back who can play a full season to split time with Hyde.
A fullback, who can catch, run and block.

These additions, and good coaching can get us to 7-9, 8-8. We could fill all these holes, with a perfect draft, and perfect free agency period...so not likely this year, but by next year for sure.

With these players in place, our next GM will be able to add difference makers, where we are "set for now" a shut down corner, and a stud center.

I feel for any team to be successful, you need a blue chip player at each level. it take 6-7 guys. To be a Super Bowl team the majority of those guys need to be pro-bowl caliber.

On defense, you need a blue chip linemen, linebacker, and defensive back.
On offense a blue chip linemen, running back, and receiver, the difference maker, is can you find a blue chip QB. These six or seven guys elevate the rest of the team.

4-5 of them develop into pro bowlers, and you have the makings of championship run.

We currently have maybe 2-3 of these guys on the roster; Hyde, Buckner, Bowman.
A week, maybe two.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Buchy:
I'm curious and thought I'd add this as a stand alone poll/topic as it seems to crop up in a lot of discussions as a side note but no one has polled it yet.

Whichever pairing/team we get, how long are you prepared to give them to achieve a winning season? Personally I think we need a complete overhaul from the ground up and I'm prepared to give a young GM/HC pairing 5 years to lay the foundations and groundwork for long term success.

If these new guys know what they're doing, I'll go with 4 years to build, so 2021 will be the above .500 season. However, we should know if these guys know what they're doing by the end of the 2019 season, whether the team is trending upwards with key roster improvements, or if core rebuilding pieces are still missing. A key factor will be how the rest of the division is trending.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Buchy:
I'm curious and thought I'd add this as a stand alone poll/topic as it seems to crop up in a lot of discussions as a side note but no one has polled it yet.

Whichever pairing/team we get, how long are you prepared to give them to achieve a winning season? Personally I think we need a complete overhaul from the ground up and I'm prepared to give a young GM/HC pairing 5 years to lay the foundations and groundwork for long term success.

If these new guys know what they're doing, I'll go with 4 years to build, so 2021 will be the above .500 season. However, we should know if these guys know what they're doing by the end of the 2019 season, whether the team is trending upwards with key roster improvements, or if core rebuilding pieces are still missing. A key factor will be how the rest of the division is trending.

Sounds about right. IMHO it take a full 3 years to properly install a WCO and that's with having the key personnel. We have to add the key personnel too esp. the OL and the move to the outside zone running game.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I would give 3 years, I think that is quite reasonable for a new front office/coaching staff to get things headed the right way and actually pretty likely.

That being said with our current roster/ cap situation and how our division seems to be on the way down, I could see the right GM/Coach combo with a smart draft or two and an aggressive but intelligent approach to free agency scraping out a .500 season in year two, maybe even a long shot on next year if we see a total internal collapse of the Seahawks...which to be honest although highly unlikely the signs of infighting are there.

Good point about the division. You can win a division with 7 wins (just ask the Hawks/Panthers). With some good health and Kyle at the helm, it's possible we could be competitive while we're rebuilding and morphing into a full-scale WCO and team of his image. But it's not likely this coming season.
As long as they aren't f**king up all over the place, they should be able to do better than 8-8 after 3 seasons. If they build properly and fill in the major needs over this offseason and the next two this should easily be a playoff caliber roster by 2020.
I see us going 8-8 next season and then making the playoffs the following season
I can wait 50 years as along as Baalke is out.
Share 49ersWebzone