LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Richard Sherman CB

Shop 49ers game tickets

OFF MAN/DEEP ZONE CB – RICHARD SHERMANThe off-man/deep zone cornerback is much more prevalent in the game as the role isn't nearly as difficult. It allows the defensive back to read and react – reading the quarterback's eyes, seeing the play unfold and reacting accordingly. Being able to see the play unfold allows the cornerback to recognize whether or not his man or side of the field will be targeted and allows the ability to not have to expend energy to cover the route like he would if targeted. That isn't to say the player can take the play off, it's just easier physically and mentally on non-targeted plays when playing off-man/deep zone than it is when having to jam a receiver and match his route all the while.
Since the off-man/deep zone role is used so frequently in the NFL, being in the upper echelon of cornerbacks in this role has serious benefits for the defense. Whether needing to drive quickly on underneath routes or turn and flip hips to match with deep routes, the cornerback that can do both can effectively shut down an entire half of the field. No one has personified this better over the years than Richard Sherman. While he's coming off a major injury needing surgery on both Achilles, what Sherman was able to do in Seattle's Cover-3 system is Hall of Fame worthy. Arguably the best cornerback in the NFL at defending the 'go' route, Sherman is the epitomie of a shutdown cornerback.
Over the course of his career, Sherman has allowed a paltry 53.0 passer rating when targeted, intercepting 34 passes with 62 pass defenses and just a mere 17 touchdowns. He's allowed less than 48.6 percent of his targets to be caught in every season except one when it was just 51.8. Since entering the league in 2011, Sherman has lead the NFL in cover snaps per target twice and ranked third another season. Most impressively, his coverage snaps per reception allowed has ranked him first or second in every season except his rookie debut and his injury-shortened 2017 campaign where he ranked sixth.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sherman said jimmy is not god.. cut him
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
some of Shermans training caught on tape

Originally posted by DRnSFw:
some of Shermans training caught on tape

Accurate representation of how Sherman looked in all those vids posted from OTAs
Originally posted by SFrush:
Nothing to gain saying that publicly. smh

My thoughts exactly
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

Before watching it.... does it end with Seabees on three?

[ Edited by captveg on Jun 21, 2018 at 11:49 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by captveg:
Before watching it.... does it end with Seabees on three?

"DBs on three!".
Then they all went to Dave and Busters in Milpitas after practice.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Shoot wrong...

"I wouldn't have signed with the team if I didn't believe in him," Sherman said in an interview with NFL Network. "I watched his film. I watched how he moved down the stretch, I watched how poised he was. I had conversations with his teammates, I had conversations with the head coach about how they coach him, about how he approaches the game. And just seeing his demeanor and seeing how he interacts with his teammates, I think I made a fantastic decision (to join 49ers). I'm excited to see him go out there."

This guy has coach written all over him after his playing days are done.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Hey, Uncle Sherm, shut the f**k up about Jimmy's tell...dumb ass...

It's bait!!

You're one of the few that realizes it!

Let's hope so!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Shoot wrong...

"I wouldn't have signed with the team if I didn't believe in him," Sherman said in an interview with NFL Network. "I watched his film. I watched how he moved down the stretch, I watched how poised he was. I had conversations with his teammates, I had conversations with the head coach about how they coach him, about how he approaches the game. And just seeing his demeanor and seeing how he interacts with his teammates, I think I made a fantastic decision (to join 49ers). I'm excited to see him go out there."
i have no issue with sherman speaking his mind. he never threw jimmy under the bus. you guys know what we were getting with him. he talks but backs it up and without him. our secondary would be weak in my opinion
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

This guy has coach written all over him after his playing days are done.

Looks like Gould is the real Waterboy.
  • thl408
From the time Jimmy takes his hand off the ball to the releasing of the ball is nearly instantaneous. Go ahead, zone defenders, watch his hand come off the ball to get a jump. Good luck with that.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
From the time Jimmy takes his hand off the ball to the releasing of the ball is nearly instantaneous. Go ahead, zone defenders, watch his hand come off the ball to get a jump. Good luck with that.

Also this :

"He's watching everything," Garoppolo said of Sherman. "Yeah, the defense has told me [about the flaw]. But, at the same time, I use that against them because they're thinking that. It's a game of cat and mouse.
Share 49ersWebzone