LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

How many 9er fans feel the best coaches have been hired already?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many 9er fans feel the best coaches have been hired already?

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The best hire today was the Rams getting Wade Phillips as their DC

Other than that, meh. I still think the best candidates are available.

I agree.

As much as I love Wade (or any other great DC), the HC is more important to nail down.

Nothing was going to be perfect here really. Even if the Falcons and Patriots were to lose this weekend it's already too late anyways if you want those guys to be your head coach.

Falcons would have had to miss out on the bye and lose in the wildcard round just for Shanahan to be available. I'm not that desperate for those guys to be our coach and then to get Philips.

Of course I'd love if we got josh/kyle AND Wade....but that would be too much luck in one offseason.

BTW guys, this is a two way street.......Josh & Kyle want to coach in SF. In years past with Baalke, they'd be taken already or go drop the interview.

Now it's a fresh team, and if you think about it....it makes sense. If these two are considered the blue chip guys, then they'll have the ego to think they can fix a team like the Niners with the blank checks everywhere, #2 pick, cap space, and QB flexibility.

Who was the last new head coach to take over a 2-14 team?

Andy Reid.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jan 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
No leaks about them wanting either McDaniels or Shanahan. If the FO is true to previous form then they have no idea who they will pick yet?

JeRaag can be weasels, but I don't believe they're stupid. Lame at times, but not stupid... in my humble opinion

#LeaksAreIntentionalButNotAlwaysTrue
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
No leaks about them wanting either McDaniels or Shanahan. If the FO is true to previous form then they have no idea who they will pick yet?

JeRaag can be weasels, but I don't believe they're stupid. Lame at times, but not stupid... in my humble opinion

#LeaksAreIntentionalButNotAlwaysTrue
I believe Jed and Paraag are waiting to interview Tom Cable, saving the best for the last.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
I believe Jed and Paraag are waiting to interview Tom Cable, saving the best for the last.

That crap is killing me

If it comes true tho, I'll be ****ED! We're all doomed!!

Link ???
No mention of the hire at either site, that I could find:
  • NFL.com
  • TheRams.com
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Link ???
No mention of the hire at either site, that I could find:
  • NFL.com
  • TheRams.com

I heard the same from a legit veteran in here too. I was bummed out about the news... then I had to check for myself

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773597/article/los-angeles-rams-adding-wade-phillips-as-dc
I wouldnt have had a problem with Vance getting hired, even tho i want an offensive coach. Not impressed with any of the other hires, so we didnt lose out in my book. Ill pass on McD, Shanny is my 1st choice. Happy that we are the only opening left so we have our pick.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jan 15, 2017 at 6:43 AM ]
For what this team needs these we're my top candidates

1. McDaniels
2. Shanahan
3. Lynn
4. McVay
5. Patricia/McDermott

Crazy the top two options are on still on the board...as long as Jed can keep he's s**t together not go full retard and hire Cable we should be good.

Stay the course there's a reason the top two candidates are still playing
Originally posted by GEEK:
Well let's evaluate the current hires for the other teams.

Chargers - Anthony Lynn, Interm HC, Interm OC, RB Coach/Asst Coach, Buffalo | He would have been a good, not great, choice for the HC position. Very well respected around the league but no full year OC or HC duties means he is inexperienced leading a team. And I think he's shown he can be influenced by ownership and GMs to dictate specific game plans. Not a good look to the 49ers fan base after the recent news about Baalke. For a team that's going through a true rebuild from the bottom up, I didn't see him as a good fit for the 49ers.

Rams - Sean McVay, OC, Redskins | Bright up and comer with limited experience. A guy to take a risk on elevating a team from okay to good to great. Rams have a solid foundation across both sides of the ball, but now need an offensive minded coach to take the next step for a rookie QB. Rams hired a good coach for their needs, but McVay learning on the job in a full rebuild would have severe repercussions. Not a fit for the 49ers, especially paired with a rookie GM.

Bills - Sean McDermott, DC, Panthers | My favorite hire of the off-season, McDermott is the perfect fit for the Bills defense and their current talent. Lots of questions on the offensive side of the ball, so it'll be interesting to see who he hires for OC. But the 49ers would start from ground zero if we hired him for his 4-3 scheme. Armstead, Buckner, Bowman, and others wouldn't exactly be great fits for him. Great hire, but not a good fit for the 49ers.

Broncos - Vance Joseph, DC, Dolphins | He's the right coach for the Broncos, especially paired with McCoy at OC and Elway as the GM. For someone with Tomlin-like experience, he's entering a strong organizational structure with very good talent across both sides of the ball. I could see them doing very well in his first year, assuming one of the QBs steps up. For a rebuild, maybe he could do it...but he'd need a hell of a GM to build the foundation.

Jaguars - Doug Marrone, OL Coach, Jaguars | Well...very mixed on this hire. I get having some continuity, but the FO format sounds like a disaster in waiting. He had some success in the NFL and NCAA. I really think the Jags are trying to replicate the Titans recent success by hiring in-house to maintain the development of Bortles. Coughlin can help and potentially hurt by interfering too much with the game plans. It would have been an uninspiring hire by the 49ers, and I'm not sure what GM would hire him for HC.

The trio of McDaniels, Taub, and Shannahan were my top choices for the 49ers. All 3 are still available. I honestly think all the hires except the Jags were the right fits for the right franchises.

Very good read, gotta hope our FO already has a "silent" agreement in place with one or even both, big mac or shanny......
I would hire both shanny and mcd. Shanny calls the offense first half mcd second half.

We wouldnt lose.

Worked out perfectly. The two coaches I want are still available and still in the playoff.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

I agree.

As much as I love Wade (or any other great DC), the HC is more important to nail down.

Nothing was going to be perfect here really. Even if the Falcons and Patriots were to lose this weekend it's already too late anyways if you want those guys to be your head coach.

Falcons would have had to miss out on the bye and lose in the wildcard round just for Shanahan to be available. I'm not that desperate for those guys to be our coach and then to get Philips.

Of course I'd love if we got josh/kyle AND Wade....but that would be too much luck in one offseason.

BTW guys, this is a two way street.......Josh & Kyle want to coach in SF. In years past with Baalke, they'd be taken already or go drop the interview.

Now it's a fresh team, and if you think about it....it makes sense. If these two are considered the blue chip guys, then they'll have the ego to think they can fix a team like the Niners with the blank checks everywhere, #2 pick, cap space, and QB flexibility.

Who was the last new head coach to take over a 2-14 team?

Andy Reid.

You know this as fact?

If you are right, and we don't land one of these guys it will only be because we were not interested in their services, correct?

Or could it be that neither is really interested in the job?
Share 49ersWebzone