LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 180 users in the forums

Head Coach Candidate: Kyle Shanahan (ATL OC)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He's my #1 candidate. I've always loved the Shanahan WCO. The outsize zone running game and play action off that is key. We're going to need to continue to reconfigure the o-line if we go that rout. I'm not sure how well guys like Garnett and Brown would function in that scheme.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/07/atlanta-falcons-offense-matt-ryan-kyle-shanahan-julio-jones
When he moved to Atlanta last year, Shanahan brought his outside zone scheme with him, and forced Ryan to be more mobile with bootlegs.

Tomsula/Geep ran predominantly Outside zone in 2015. The contrast in requirements between OLmen geared for a Power scheme and OL made for an Outside zone scheme are where the biggest difference is when talking about scheme fit for OL, imo. Brown is not quick enough to be the playside Tackle unless he miraculously develops high end foot speed for a 6'9" 350 guy. To illustrate what you mentioned:

Outside Zone: Pears sucks, but here he is mobile enough to reach his block on the playside DE. Staley with the backside cutblock which creates the lane that Hyde uses.

Bootleg playaction off of Outside zone:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not sure what he has done to warrant a HC job. Seemed an OK OC. I would like to see more out of Kyle. I think a couple of years too early for Kyle Shanahan. If he has an all encompass vision and specific drive as to what he want his team to be, I would over look the bland resume.

He's still young, only 37, but the guy has been an OC for 9 years now. In 6 of those seasons he called a Top 10 offense. 4 of those seasons were a Top 5 offense. So he has a pretty good track record of success. I'd say he's done enough to get a shot. There are HCs who got the job with lesser resumes.

Tomsula...
Originally posted by bopicksix:
Maybe around here or in the media. The way he abandonded Pettine in Cleveland shows he's a chump. His first stint on his own without daddy or uncle Kubiak there to coddle him. Rather then face a challenging situation head on, he pouted until pettine had enough and let him walk. Hate to see the tantrum he throws when faced with the challenges of a hc.

With that said he is a great qb coach and there is a slim possibility he becomes a good hc 6-8+ years down the road

"The way he abandonded Pettine in Cleveland"

You mean when the front office was trying to tell him what QB he should be playing? Why should any coach put up with that? Baalke just got canned for doing s**t like that.
Can we fly a banner over ATL's stadium? "49ers fans want Kyle Shanahan!!"
I just think Denver is such a good fit, all he has to do is fix the QB position. Even if he does so so with the QB he still makes the playoffs.
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Interview-Kyle-Shanahan-for-Head-Coach/b3b99463-a2bf-449f-9a7f-07101af4867a?sf49829111=1
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
San Francisco 49ers @49ers
The #49ers are currently interviewing Falcons Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan for head coach.
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/07/atlanta-falcons-offense-matt-ryan-kyle-shanahan-julio-jones
When he moved to Atlanta last year, Shanahan brought his outside zone scheme with him, and forced Ryan to be more mobile with bootlegs.

Tomsula/Geep ran predominantly Outside zone in 2015. The contrast in requirements between OLmen geared for a Power scheme and OL made for an Outside zone scheme are where the biggest difference is when talking about scheme fit for OL, imo. Brown is not quick enough to be the playside Tackle unless he miraculously develops high end foot speed for a 6'9" 350 guy. To illustrate what you mentioned:

Outside Zone: Pears sucks, but here he is mobile enough to reach his block on the playside DE. Staley with the backside cutblock which creates the lane that Hyde uses.

Thanks for the clips, thl. I love the scheme because it has been proven to be very productive for over 2 decades now. Several QBs and RBs had their career years playing in this scheme, whether it was Mike or Kyle Shanahan, or Gary Kubiak.

Our personnel on the o-line could be an issue. I'm excited about Brown's raw talent but really have to question his fit in the scheme. He has good foot speed for a man his size, but probably don't want him moving laterally to the sidelines half the time. You want that guy blocking downhill. Same with Garnett.

The o-lines in Denver, Houston, Washington, and Atlanta were all reconfigured to be lighter and more athletic.
Originally posted by Jcool:
San Francisco 49ers @49ers
The #49ers are currently interviewing Falcons Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan for head coach.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You mean when the front office was trying to tell him what QB he should be playing? Why should any coach put up with that? Baalke just got canned for doing s**t like that.

Weak excuse, when you are getting paid -under contract. Without the last name he wouldn't have dared pull that kind of bs and abandon post. Believe what you want but you lose respect amongst your peers that have had to endure all kinds of political challenges usually over many years to make a name for themselves

Why should any coach put up with that?

Not to mention leaders don't "put up" with anything they fight and make the best of any situation. Good ones turn it for the better. then we have those that flee at the first sign of adversity. Lmao at this guy leading a qualified staff and 53 big egos.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Weak excuse, when you are getting paid -under contract. Without the last name he wouldn't have dared pull that kind of bs and abandon post. Believe what you want but you lose respect amongst your peers that have had to endure all kinds of political challenges usually over many years to make a name for themselves

• thl408
Thanks for the clips, thl. I love the scheme because it has been proven to be very productive for over 2 decades now. Several QBs and RBs had their career years playing in this scheme, whether it was Mike or Kyle Shanahan, or Gary Kubiak.

Our personnel on the o-line could be an issue. I'm excited about Brown's raw talent but really have to question his fit in the scheme. He has good foot speed for a man his size, but probably don't want him moving laterally to the sidelines half the time. You want that guy blocking downhill. Same with Garnett.

The o-lines in Denver, Houston, Washington, and Atlanta were all reconfigured to be lighter and more athletic.
Yes. Big time. I think Garnett will be okay. Beadles made the Pro Bowl in this scheme in 2012 with DEN. Kilgore is more an athletic Center than a drive blocker. Staley can do anything. So the oddball in an Outside zone scheme is Trent Brown.

I disagree. if it's your offense and your names on it, you stand up for what u want.
Originally posted by thl408:

Outside zone right

Outside zone left

Bootpass off of those plays

Love these branch of plays. Still so effective.
Share 49ersWebzone