LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

49ers Finale 2016 - Thoughts on the season and the team going forward...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So my job situation kinda sucks right now because we dunno whats gonna happen (company was purchased)...but this was pretty cool.

I got invited to watch the game from the company suite on Sunday. I saw Levis from a different angle and I have to say...I don't care what people say, I love that place.

Anyway...

1) Kap: I don't hate Kap and I don't love Kap. I just don't think he's a part of the future. I mean the guy finished the season with a 4 to 1 TD to INT ratio and his best QB rating since 2013.

I just think he needs to go and the team needs to start fresh with another young QB.

2) Baalke: It was time. The more I hear the more I'm convinced he should have gone earlier. I defended the guy for several years so I'm not going to pretend I didn't, but I flipped around midseason this year. If what I've been hearing lately tho is true and he was the reason they didn't hire Gase (although I'm not really sold on him yet) and the reason they didn't hire Hue Jackson (per Michael Silver), then the firing came far too late. Problem is tho...how much of that is true and how much of that is Jed spinning.

Dunno.

3) Kelly: I've been saying that I wouldn't mind him coming back and I'm actually still on that page. I don't hate Chip and there were aspects of his offense I really like. Here's the rub tho...once you decide that Trent is done, what do you do next? If you force a coach on a GM then you limit who is willing to take that job. You can't give the job to Chip as he's proven he can't do both jobs.

Essentially...once the decision was made to fire Baalke, they HAD to fire Chip.

4) Jed: I've seen from ALOT of people that they didn't like Jeds "I own the team" line. I couldn't disagree more. I LOVED it. It was the closest I've ever seen him to acting like Eddie. He was cordial about it, but it was effectively an FU to Lowell Cohn and precisely the answer I'd want from an owner.

Jed wasn't cut out to be in front of the camera and many would say he wasn't cut out to hold the job he has. That wouldn't be entirely unfair either. THAT response tho to me was perfect. Loved it.

5) Reset: Jed has been trying to hang on desperately thinking that they could somehow recreate some of that Harbaugh magic. I think he finally woke up here. It was an expensive lesson (more on that later). The 49ers haven't completely reset since 2005. They came close in 2011 but Trent was essentially just promoted.

Bringing in all new blood is precisely what the team needs. All that talent from 2011-2013 is gone now. Bill Walsh, George Seifert, or Jim Harbaugh aren't walking in the door anytime soon.

Start over. Start fresh. There are some you pieces to build around but get the right guys in place to move this team into the future.

As far as the expense....can we PLEASE stop with the "Yorks are cheap" mantra? It hasn't been the case since Jed took over and it isn't the case now. They are dropping 30 mil or so for coaches who won't be coaching the team...and thats just the HCs. Yes...they didn't use the cap space, but guess what? It rolls over and they HAVE to spend it or not comply with league rules. It'll get spent and NOW that cap space is a huge plus to perspective GMs and Coaches.

6) "Who would want to coach there?": Everybody. Seriously. 80 to 100 mil in cap space. 2nd pick of the draft. An owner who wants to win so desperately he'll be dropping 30 mil on coaches not coaching the team. A brand new stadium with revenue streams galore. A historic NFL franchise. When the Niners are good, they OWN this town. They can be good again.

Don't let people convince you that the 49er job isn't desirable. Thats BS...in particular because Baalke isn't there anymore.

7) Frank Gore: I was listening to the radio this morning and Ted Robinson said they should get Frank Gore back just to have in the locker room. I couldn't agree more. I'd LOVE to have Frank back. He still has a year left on his deal in Indy and I don't know their situation, but I really hope they go get him if the Colts cut him loose.

He just has the personality you want in your locker room to show younger players. Oh yeah, and he can STILL play.

8) Who do I like?: My hope for the first 2 picks are Myles Garrett in round 1 and Deshaun Watson in round 2. Now that I've said that I can all but guarantee those will NOT be the picks.

9) Damnit Cleveland: Seriously? A fumble on the 3 years line? Really? Sigh.

10) FINALLY over: At least now we can finally begin the process of looking to next year. I've been looking forward to this for months. :)
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

7) Frank Gore: I was listening to the radio this morning and Ted Robinson said they should get Frank Gore back just to have in the locker room. I couldn't agree more. I'd LOVE to have Frank back. He still has a year left on his deal in Indy and I don't know their situation, but I really hope they go get him if the Colts cut him loose.

He just has the personality you want in your locker room to show younger players. Oh yeah, and he can STILL play.

I figure Gore will probably try to get that ring. But, he would be a great guy to bring back. He's a guy that can be depended on out on the field and in the locker room. He'd help transition in the new coach and QB.
What a great send off in to 2017, Marvin. Some of the stuff was new, some was looking at it (re: Jed) from a different perspective, and the overview for a potential HC was different, but after reading and thinking about it, I feel a lot better. I was listening and watching a bunch of sourpusses, and frankly, I think your view is the right one. Great way to go into the new yr. Cleve? From now on, "f word" should be used instead of Cleve. But, stranger things have happened, I guess.

Your posts are always informative Marvin, but this one was your best. Nice job and thanks. I hope your optimism spreads. Right now it is in le toilette, but for now, anyway, things are looking up.
Marvin, what are some players you look forward to seeing in 2017? players you think made big strides this season and will become difference makers?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Marvin, what are some players you look forward to seeing in 2017? players you think made big strides this season and will become difference makers?

Hard to say who made big strides on such a bad team but I can tell you who I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more from in the future...

DeForest Buckner
Rashard Robinson
Jimmie Ward
Arik Armstead
Trent Brown
Ronald Blair
Jaquiski Tartt
Carlos Hyde
Vance McDonald
Joshua Garnett

I'm not making the case that all of these guys will be superstars or even stars, but I think they can all be building blocks for what the team will be in the future. These are the guys I have my eyes on.

Several of them are monstrously talented (Buckner, Brown, Hyde), several have all the physical ability in the world and are trying to put it together (Robinson, Armstead, Tartt, McDonald) and a few of them might be the locker room leaders they'll need in the future (Buckner and Garnett).

Now that the season is over, I'm more pumped up now than I've been in months. NOW we can start the process of righting the ship.
One of the worst season of Niner football. Worse than the Tomsula of last year. Once the injuries upfront on defense started, I knew it was over. No run defense, there's no defense. No dominate weapons on offense to offset the lack of defense. A 5'9 Kerley for short conversion passes is not sustainable. Kaep did his best with his style of play to help the team.

I didn't watch some games on Sunday. More productive to spend time with my family instead. I hope Niners football will be watchable again next year.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM ]
I guess my mood can be summed up this way....

I'm not old enough to remember the building of Walshs Niners. I watched them win all 5 SBs but I wasn't old enough to know what I was watching in '81 and '84.

I then watched them suck for many years and watched them build a new powerhouse in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Those teams weren't as good as Walshs Niners but I enjoyed watching them SOOO much more because I watched it get built and it came after years of suckage.

Thats what excites me now. Its not about the final product. Its about being there for the journey. :D
As to Hue Jackson: Thank you Baalke for vetoing this hire. Don't like Hue at all.
As to Frank Gore: He can stay with the Colts. Personality? What Personality? He was b***hing about splitting carries with Hyde...

I'm not old enough to remember the building of Walshs Niners. I watched them win all 5 SBs but I wasn't old enough to know what I was watching in '81 and '84.

I then watched them suck for many years and watched them build a new powerhouse in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Those teams weren't as good as Walshs Niners but I enjoyed watching them SOOO much more because I watched it get built and it came after years of suckage.

Thats what excites me now. Its not about the final product. Its about being there for the journey. :D

Well said

Originally posted by communist:
As to Hue Jackson: Thank you Baalke for vetoing this hire. Don't like Hue at all.
As to Frank Gore: He can stay with the Colts. Personality? What Personality? He was b***hing about splitting carries with Hyde...

um...what?
Originally posted by communist:

um...what?
You said that he has got that personality. I doubted that.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I said in 2014 I'd be fine with a few really bad seasons to purge the bandwagonners. I got my wish

The suckage will make it so much sweeter when we are good again doe.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I said in 2014 I'd be fine with a few really bad seasons to purge the bandwagonners. I got my wish

The suckage will make it so much sweeter when we are good again doe.

Until the bandwagon comes back. LOL
I don't agree with a lot of your points so I'll just say I liked #7 and #9 the best!
Share 49ersWebzone