There are 147 users in the forums

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The problem with Tomsula is that he couldn't assemble a staff worth a damn. For crying out loud, he hired a radio DJ.

If Toub at least has NFL connections around the league, then it might be a good hire.

First lets see who they get as GM.

I actually care more about the GM pick than the HC tbh..
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Nobody NFL credible will want to come here. We will have to gamble with a college coach like we did with Harbaugh.
[ Edited by Kuya on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:56 PM ]

REBUILD: Take 4
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
im predicting that they will promote Wade Phillips to HC. Just a feeling i have.

But i agree, would make sense for Kyle to go to Denver

Wade is never getting a HC gig again. I think the Broncos will hire Shanahan Jr or Vance Joseph./
Jed just copy pastes the same paragraphs every year. Just Ctrl+F Replace "Jim Harbaugh" with "Trent Baalke" and "Chip Kelly".

Better get this s**t right this time. If they fire the new HC next year, I am seriously gonna find Jed in the parking lot at Santa Clara
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I actually care more about the GM pick than the HC tbh..

I think the GM pick will largely determine the HC pick. I can see several GM/HC packages.
Trust the process.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Tomsula hadn't had the experience working in the NFL that Toub has. Toub has been an under the radar head coaching candidate for a couple of years now.

Tomsula was a great Dline coach but when did he ever coordinate anything in the NFL?

Good comments from Arians on why special teams guys get overlooked.

Unfortunately for today's special-teams coordinators, it's team owners who are afraid to hire them as head coaches.

"When you look at John's success, that should definitely have put a flag up for owners to at least give us a look with interviews," said DeCamillis, who was a candidate with the Chicago Bears in 2013 for the job that Marc Trestman eventually secured. "I'm sure some of us could have the same success."

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is convinced of the same. He is well aware of the daunting challenges that special-teams coaches face on a weekly basis in trying to mix and match personnel for coverage and return units when injuries and roster moves made to address more pressing offensive and defensive needs dictate the players at their disposal.

"When you talk about the special-teams guy, he's in front of the entire team," Arians said. "He's not like a quarterback coach or coordinator who only has half the team. He's got the entire team and in a very big setting as far as classroom work.

"They're probably as adept at addressing a football team as anybody."

Considering how well those aforementioned predecessors fared after being given the chance, more franchises would tap into the special-teams ranks when vacancies opened if the NFL was truly a copy-cat league as the cliche goes.

Why aren't they?

Arians succinctly expressed the main reason given by eight current and former NFL coaches and executives interviewed by FOXSports.com about the topic.

"I think owners are looking for sexy (names)," Arians said.

Arians would know better than anybody. As a longtime NFL assistant regularly passed up for head-coaching opportunities that went to less experienced candidates, Arians himself was an outside-the-box hire by the Cardinals in 2013 at an age (60) that had scared off other teams.

Some great reads no doubt that you've posted. Something else that goes overlooked. Special teams coaches have to make their money on units made up of guys mostly that largely aren't good enough to start on the team at their respective positions. Some of them not even good enough to be the primary back up.

Speaks volumes that Toub's units have routinely been top five in rankings.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 1, 2017 at 7:01 PM ]
Originally posted by fropwns:
If it deals with our new Head Coach, it goes here. Extra threads will be nuked by the mod staff.

I beat you.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/187588-2017-49ers-annual-head-coaching-threadwhos-your-choice/
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 7:01 PM ]
Originally posted by stevetaebo:
If the kid stays healthy give the kid some continuity:

HC - Josh McDaniels
QB - Jimmy Garoppolo

GM will be hired first?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/49ers-will-hire-g-m-first-who-will-hire-coach/
I wonder what the possibility of Sean Payton coming up as a candidate again is? Supposedly the Saints are willing to trade him for pennies on the dollar this time around.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I wonder what the possibility of Sean Payton coming up as a candidate again is? Supposedly the Saints are willing to trade him for pennies on the dollar this time around.

He doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Maybe the Colts or San Diego?
Originally posted by Jcool:

He might not have a choice.
Share 49erswebzone