LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Was Tomsula highly respected for his craft?

He was highly respected for being a DL coach. Nobody outside of the 49ers organization had him on any head coaching lists.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:49 PM ]
If the 3 Stooges ( John, Jed and Paarag ) are in charge of the new regime , and it looks that way.

Be prepared to watch top candidates get plucked off one by one, while we end up with the Dennis Erickson/ Jimmy T's of the world....
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Kyle Shannahan! IMO the best offense. Finally got that Falcons O to click. Even when Julio and Sanu were out, that offense didnt miss a beat.

My second choice would be Bevell. He runs a very good offense that caters to the player's strength. We would also be snagging the Seahawks OC away from them. Bevell will also know the in and outs of the seahawks and will be able to build a team to take them down

If I'm Kyle Shanahan I am jumping to Denver.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
He's not a sexy pick by any stretch of the imagination but the more details that I dig up on him, the more I begin to like him. I've been reading up on him for a couple of days now and Phoenix is right. He's highly respected for his craft. Special teams coordinators don't get the love or attention or even respect that offensive and defensive coordinators do but I'm sure Ravens fans where underwhelmed with a special teams coach until he brought them numerous playoff appearances and a super bowl win. Special teams players get the unique experience of working with both offensive and defensive players and a guy like Toub that has the respect of his peers can probably reel in a pretty good coaching staff. Which leads me to... One other thing Phoenix alluded to in another thread and he's right is a guy like Toub would be able to lure in a top notch offensive and defensive coordinator because they'd have a bit autonomy in their respective sides of the ball.

Like I said, I agree he's not the most attractive pick for a head coach but I highly suggest you just take a little time to read up on him, he just might grow on you.

Was Tomsula highly respected for his craft?

Tomsula hadn't had the experience working in the NFL that Toub has. Toub has been an under the radar head coaching candidate for a couple of years now.

Tomsula was a great Dline coach but when did he ever coordinate anything in the NFL?
Wade for DC
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
If it deals with our new Head Coach, it goes here. Extra threads will be nuked by the mod staff.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
All of those options will turn Jed down and he'll have to make Tom Rathman coach.
Kyle Shannahan! IMO the best offense. Finally got that Falcons O to click. Even when Julio and Sanu were out, that offense didnt miss a beat.

My second choice would be Bevell. He runs a very good offense that caters to the player's strength. We would also be snagging the Seahawks OC away from them. Bevell will also know the in and outs of the seahawks and will be able to build a team to take them down

Likely scenario, IMO. He my first pick, but no way SF is a more attractive opportunity than Denver. The only way I think the Niners land him is by first hiring his father, which carry certain risks. Getting both would be a "splash" I suppose, but I worry about a structure in which the GM is reluctant to check the coach because it's his son.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Tomsula hadn't had the experience working in the NFL that Toub has. Toub has been an under the radar head coaching candidate for a couple of years now.

Tomsula was a great Dline coach but when did he ever coordinate anything in the NFL?

Good comments from Arians on why special teams guys get overlooked.

Unfortunately for today's special-teams coordinators, it's team owners who are afraid to hire them as head coaches.

"When you look at John's success, that should definitely have put a flag up for owners to at least give us a look with interviews," said DeCamillis, who was a candidate with the Chicago Bears in 2013 for the job that Marc Trestman eventually secured. "I'm sure some of us could have the same success."

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is convinced of the same. He is well aware of the daunting challenges that special-teams coaches face on a weekly basis in trying to mix and match personnel for coverage and return units when injuries and roster moves made to address more pressing offensive and defensive needs dictate the players at their disposal.

"When you talk about the special-teams guy, he's in front of the entire team," Arians said. "He's not like a quarterback coach or coordinator who only has half the team. He's got the entire team and in a very big setting as far as classroom work.

"They're probably as adept at addressing a football team as anybody."

Considering how well those aforementioned predecessors fared after being given the chance, more franchises would tap into the special-teams ranks when vacancies opened if the NFL was truly a copy-cat league as the cliche goes.

Why aren't they?

Arians succinctly expressed the main reason given by eight current and former NFL coaches and executives interviewed by FOXSports.com about the topic.

"I think owners are looking for sexy (names)," Arians said.

Arians would know better than anybody. As a longtime NFL assistant regularly passed up for head-coaching opportunities that went to less experienced candidates, Arians himself was an outside-the-box hire by the Cardinals in 2013 at an age (60) that had scared off other teams.

I have a feeling we're going to f**k this up

Let's get this new GM & coach in here & get to rolling on this rebuild ASAP! Very excited to see how this plays out now
The problem with Tomsula is that he couldn't assemble a staff worth a damn. For crying out loud, he hired a radio DJ.

If Toub at least has NFL connections around the league, then it might be a good hire.

First lets see who they get as GM.

im predicting that they will promote Wade Phillips to HC. Just a feeling i have.

But i agree, would make sense for Kyle to go to Denver
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
6 of 9 seasons #17 or worse & 4 of them #23 or worse in scoring offense. So why are people so high on Kyle? Because he is a Shanahan!!! So? His dad won a Superbowl here 23 years ago! I am guessing probably wouldn't be so high on him with a different last name.
Originally posted by baltien:

Likely scenario, IMO. He my first pick, but no way SF is a more attractive opportunity than Denver. The only way I think the Niners land him is by first hiring his father, which carry certain risks. Getting both would be a "splash" I suppose, but I worry about a structure in which the GM is reluctant to check the coach because it's his son.

The only way the Niners could entice him is the possibility of trading for Garoppolo or drafting his own QB. Other than that, I really don't see why he would come here.
Share 49ersWebzone