There are 234 users in the forums

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

Getting Toub to HC. Why?

You have to remember the Yorks just promoted a defensive line coach to HC before he was ready. Now we want to get a special teams coordinator promoted? I get that they're different things, but I'm not comfortable with that.

If thats what Ballard wants, then whatever though. Guess you gotta roll with it. We don't have options
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My first choice is Dave Toub, my second choice is Kyle Shanahan.


No thanks on a Special Teams coach. We have no franchise QB on the roster so the next coach needs to be somebody that can tutor and nurture our future QB. A special team coach will be reliant on a OC to do that job and then we have to worry about the OC sticking around for the next 3 or 4 years to help grow the QB. If a OC won't stick around then we have the Alex Smith different OC every year situation all over again and we are screwed. Same goes for a Defensive minded coach.....No thanks......

Give me a Pro style offensive minded coach and draft a QB and lets get this ship turned around.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Jan 1, 2017 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
With Chip looking to be on his way out, it appears to be time to kick this party off for the third straight year.


Who do you want as head coach and why? Who don't you want? What are your best/worst case scenarios.

I like either Vance Joseph or Kyle Shanahan, especially Kyle Shanahan if they can bring Mike Shanahan on board as well; Getting people in places that are good at what they do will help get this organization back to where they need to be all around; These people have shown they can get it done with various different teams.

Not only good at what they do, but also are able to work together, may not be the best of buds in that kind of sense, but at least be able to work together to make this organization kind of a well-oiled machine again; Have common goals in a professional sense.

With such an abrupt change within just one year, with the possible letting go of Kelly, I think York has experimented the past couple of years with his coaching choices, but after a few seasons of losing he is ready to, as Baalke had mentioned, "restart" this organization towards being a team that has the abilities to compete to win.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,450
Originally posted by 801niner:
What do you guys think of the Pats dc?


Matt Patricia.

Been wanting this guy for 2 years.

Another guy is Sean McDermott. Had a bit of a down year, but overall I think he would be a good HC.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My first choice is Dave Toub, my second choice is Kyle Shanahan.

No thanks on a Special Teams coach. We have no franchise QB on the roster so the next coach needs to be somebody that can tutor and nurture our future QB. A special team coach will be reliant on a OC to do that job and then we have to worry about the OC sticking around for the next 3 or 4 years to help grow the QB. If a OC won't stick around then we have the Alex Smith different OC every year situation all over again and we are screwed. Same goes for a Defensive minded coach.....No thanks......

Give me a Pro style offensive minded coach and draft a QB and lets get this ship turned around.


Teams develop QB's all the time without an offensive minded HC. Its a nice thing to have but not a necessity and IMO Toub is simply the best coach out there. An experienced guy that is very well respected and has consistently had excellent performing units for over a decade. The more you learn about him the more you are stunned that he hasn't been a HC yet.

Ultimately this team needs the best possible HC. It doesn't make sense to favor a lesser coach just because they are on one side of the ball or the other. The coach themselves isn't going to be spending much time developing a certain player or position as they will be busy running the team so regardless of who the HC is, the responsibility in developing a QB will go to the OC and the QB coach.


The Bears essentially opted to go with Marc Trestman over Toub because they believed that Trestman would "develop a QB better." That didn't work out so well for them in the end.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM ]


BRING BACK THE BABE!!
More on Toub.


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

I spoke to two of them a year ago about Toub, a former all-WAC offensive lineman who was drafted in the ninth round by the Philadelphia Eagles but never made it on to an NFL roster. Both agreed he was a hell of a coach and an inspired thought to run a team and that he merited a chance, but then both essentially ruled it out in the end because they needed to develop a quarterback and were locked into going offense. Neither guy who was eventually hired, by the way, is what I would call especially safe even only one year in. Another exec who knows him said: "Superb at what he does and by a million miles the best special teams coach in the league. He is an A-plus guy."

You can find a quarterback coach and offensive coordinator to work with the passers. It doesn't have to define the entire coaching search. I would actually assert that special teams coaches are ahead of the curve in that they already must address players from both sides of the ball, and in essence the entire team with regularity. They aren't dealing with merely those certain position groups. Besides the head coach, the special teams coach is the only guy on the staff entrusted with clock management and other in-game responsibilities. He also must adjust to losing more players than any other unit. A special teams coach comes in with no inherent bias to either side of the ball, and thus no sentimental ties or desires of offense over defense (or vice versa) in terms of roster composition with the GM.

  • Kuya
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 397
Ryan Brothers
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 397
lol jk
I don't have a name but I want a coach who keeps the pedal to the floor whether we're up 34-3 or 34-30.

I'm tired of us letting up and trying to run out the clock the moment we get a lead only to have the opposition come back and win.

One who has his choice of coordinators rather than taking the scraps the rest of the NFL has discarded.

One you isn't a Jed York yes man but can coexist and stick around longer than 1-3 years
I want winners
You may be right Phoenix I don't know if he would be a great Hc or not. What I want is the GM and HC to bring some consistency to this FO/Team and I want them to be on the same page with the QB issue and how to address it.
Whoever we pick we need to stick with them for 3 years minimum, regardless what our record is. We need consistency and stability or we are never going to get players and coaches to come here.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:08 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Whoever we pick we need to stick with them for 3 years minimum, regardless what our record is. We need consistency and stability or we are never going to get players and coaches to come here.

Jed needs to be prepared to lose 10+ games next year and be patient. I am tired of his b******t. You don't go to the playoffs every year. I'm younger than him, and even I understand that. How can a f**king CEO of a billion dollar football organization not get that?

He'll probably step in and fire the HC next year too because hes an ignoramus.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
You may be right Phoenix I don't know if he would be a great Hc or not. What I want is the GM and HC to bring some consistency to this FO/Team and I want them to be on the same page with the QB issue and how to address it.

My first choice would be an offensive minded head coach normally but having thought about it, I just want the best head coach possible and Toub is the only one whose name jumps out at me as a head coach that could possibly be great.


I kind of see him like a Bruce Arians type where he's been excelling for years and years as an assistant but keeps being overlooked and having inferior candidates chosen over him. A no-nonsense guy who is tough but whose players will go to the mat for him.


Its definitely an issue when you hire a guy that will have to rely on DC's and OC's but having a candidate who can really lead, inspire players and understands how to relate to both offense and defensive players, that would be huge for all the young players on this roster. Being that he's very well respected, I don't think he'd have a problem putting together a quality staff, especially with the OC and DC getting relative autonomy to run their schemes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Sourball:
I don't have a name but I want a coach who keeps the pedal to the floor whether we're up 34-3 or 34-30.

I'm tired of us letting up and trying to run out the clock the moment we get a lead only to have the opposition come back and win.

One who has his choice of coordinators rather than taking the scraps the rest of the NFL has discarded.

One you isn't a Jed York yes man but can coexist and stick around longer than 1-3 years
I want winners
nothing wrong with putting off the foot of the gas pedal if leading with a high margin.
Share 49erswebzone