LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

At this current moment, do you believe Chip Kelly and Baalke will still be here next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

At this current moment, do you believe Chip Kelly and Baalke will still be here next year?

The proper time to get rid of Baalke was whwn Harbaugh left or at least he should have been let go wirh Tomsula. Getting rid of him now means Chip has to go to so that thenteamncan hey a fresh start with a new GM hiring his own people.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The proper time to get rid of Baalke was whwn Harbaugh left or at least he should have been let go wirh Tomsula. Getting rid of him now means Chip has to go to so that thenteamncan hey a fresh start with a new GM hiring his own people.

I wonder if the Yorks are going to try to force Chip on a new GM being that they just hired him. That might limit the number of guys who will take the job is they cant' hire who they want. And that's if they don't just go with Gamble.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wonder if the Yorks are going to try to force Chip on a new GM being that they just hired him. That might limit the number of guys who will take the job is they cant' hire who they want. And that's if they don't just go with Gamble.

If they keep Chip that means they'll probably promote Gamble to GM.
No ones getting fired
Baalke? No way in hell he stays. Regarding Chip, I think they'd like to get rid of him as well but the Yorks are too cheap to pay off Chip and Tomsula's salaries at the same time. Baalke out, Chip in.
Tough guess when you're talking about the Yorks.

It took many years of alcoholism to remove one guy from the FO.

Will the Yorks remove another? Everyone?

Not likely...but the pressure to do so could prompt some very interesting turns of events.

That would limit the choices big time. Chip was not in demand as a HC last year, I can't imagine him being the first choice of many potential GMs.
Originally posted by mayo49:

If they keep Chip that means they'll probably promote Gamble to GM.

Stay the course! Keep the continuity!
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
No ones getting fired

I could see this. Nobody fired AND more FO people brought in like Mike Shanahan for prominent roles or as consultants. Maybe the package deal. This could go about 40 different directions.
My guess is that they owe over 30 million to past and present coaches. That number will cause the Yorks sleepless nights if they add anther 25-30 million on a new man. I thought Baalke was surely gone and Chip too, and then I thought Chip may stay and Baalke was history, now i could see both staying. Baalke is one of their own.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
My guess is that they owe over 30 million to past and present coaches. That number will cause the Yorks sleepless nights if they add anther 25-30 million on a new man. I thought Baalke was surely gone and Chip too, and then I thought Chip may stay and Baalke was history, now i could see both staying. Baalke is one of their own.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I think the question is how much are they losing because the fans aren't coming to the games? How much are they losing because they can't market the brand because of the results the coach they hired it's producing? Is it justifiable financially if it brings the fans back?

I feel another 6 million or so won't hurt them as much as the losses the brand is taking under chip.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran

This is my opinion do bear with me because who knows what the mercurial Yorks are thinking:

Firing Trent Baalke is a direct admission that the 49ers can no longer shield themselves from the reality that this roster is simply not good enough. That's on Trent. It is also an admission that the FO structure that has been in place since 2005 that you so eloquently point out is unsustainable. What sense does it make to tear everything down just to circle back to his right hand man, Tom Gamble, or Paraag for that matter?

The fact they are considering this shows that maybe they do care a little.......

They love Baalke, they are loyal to a fault. This might be a tough call for them or they are at least giving him the dignity of finishing the season without leaking stuff or letting him twist in the wind. Then again a 1-15 season probably forced their hand.

Idle thoughts.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
5 coaches in 11 years with virtually the same front office.
Best scenario would be to acquire a seasoned GM that knows how to build a team. This means he will acquire talent while also giving Chip 2 years to make us a playoff team. If he can do that, then we are good to go. If he can't, then he received a fair amount of time to evaluate what he can do with the team.

While this is all happening, the GM is putting together a solid plan for replacement coaches, longterm system, and team philosophy.

These are the reasons why you don't promote a scout to be GM. Honestly, it should be this process for a scout. Scout>position coach>assistant coach>coordinator>HC>GM.

The best leaders are those who have experience at every level.
Share 49ersWebzone