LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

According to former NFL agent Joel Corry, the 49ers are projected to have up to

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I fully expect the Yorks to pocket the money.

Anyone have any updates how many of these FA's did this year commensurate their contracts?
Kelechi Osemele was probably the best free agent signing of the off-season. The guy sets the tone and is an absolute bully in the trenches. Every game he's pile driving some grown man straight into the ground. Guy is just a total savage and worth every penny.
Originally posted by elguapo:
It's funny people were saying overspending in free agency is not the answer but ask the Giants defense if that is the case. Their defense was horrible last year and they got Jenkins, a great nose tackle and also Vernon from Miami and that has transformed their whole defense and a huge reason why they are so good right now. So overspending is a good thing sometimes if it is worth it. Those players would've helped the Niners so damn much.

Imagine if Baalke bought just *1* elite player when we had Harbaugh?

SMFH.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by lazy:
I thought the 49ers going spend money last year..I am not so hopeful that they will spend money in this up coming free agency.

Before they can start spending any money they need to have a GM that will create hope that any player that comes here will have a chance to win in the next two years.

We will never know how many players never even returned phone calls last off-season because they could see the train wreck coming. Good example is Kelechi Osemele. Lot of folks here were going crazy over the possibility of him coming here. He never even sniffed. Went to the Raiders because they were already on the rise. Hence, I don't expect any major FA signings this off-season. We have nothing to attract them except money and the good ones can get that anywhere.

Truth!

If you were a high caliber player around 24-28 yrs old - would you want to come here or the Rams or Browns??

I don't think so.
It's funny people were saying overspending in free agency is not the answer but ask the Giants defense if that is the case. Their defense was horrible last year and they got Jenkins, a great nose tackle and also Vernon from Miami and that has transformed their whole defense and a huge reason why they are so good right now. So overspending is a good thing sometimes if it is worth it. Those players would've helped the Niners so damn much.

Excellent call!!!

I wanted Vernon so baddd.
The Yorks are going by the Oakland A's philosophy. Profit first.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

most times overspending doesn't help a team and puts them further behind due to being strapped to those huge contracts...NY is kinda the exception IMO. One of the big things is they have a FQB and have drafted a couple good young players...we are hurting in both departments.

I hope we spend some coin, but don't bust a nut on just this off season.

Players I'd like to target:

Pierre Garcon-WR
J.C. Tretter-C
Kevin Zeitler_OG
Nick Fairley_NT
Bennie Logan-NT
Brandon Williams-NT
A.J. Bouye-CB
Dre Kirkpatrick-CB
Nick Perry-OLB
Zac Brown-ILB

Obliviously I'm down for the big names like Alshon Jeffery, Trumaine Johnson, Dontari Poe, Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram...just not sure we will be able to get them.

Agree

It is a crap shoot - better than the draft BUT still a crap shoot.

Example on the crap side id Osweiller. He has NOT produced.

We all remember Trent Richardson.

Then there are the guys like Fred Dean, Hacksaw Reynolds, Kevin Gogan, and others who came here and were excellent!

We desperately need a GM who can find these types of guys.

AND create an environment to be attractive to them.

I suggest FREE hookers.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Whether we have $5 in FA or $105, players are FREE agents.

They want to go to the most competitive team possible for the most money.
  • Does the team have a FQB?
  • Taxes?
  • State of the Franchise. Are they rebuilding? If so, are they on the rise?
  • How about their offensive and defensive systems? Utilization and effects on one-another.
  • Stability at the coaching and FO?
  • Image/reputation
  • Historical place?

Those are all very rational items to consider. However, almost always players in their prime go to the highest bidder. Maybe if the numbers are microscopically close they will go to the better team on the smaller deal -- but I think that's the exception to the rule. It's all about the guaranteed money.

The only time we see quality free agents intentionally reject larger offers from lesser teams is when that player already has enough in the bank. And, therefore, has the luxury of opting for victories over money.

One rule in FA remains universally true: Players value money over championships. Championships are a priority for fans and a nice to have for players.

Agree

Good post!

Anyone have any updates how many of these FA's did this year commensurate their contracts?

VERY good info!

Thanks.

Originally posted by Heroism:
Kelechi Osemele was probably the best free agent signing of the off-season. The guy sets the tone and is an absolute bully in the trenches. Every game he's pile driving some grown man straight into the ground. Guy is just a total savage and worth every penny.

You hit the nail on the head!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

He was my #1 target at G for us. I believe we went after him too...got T $ though, right?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He was my #1 target at G for us. I believe we went after him too...got T $ though, right?

But you didnt want to "overpay" for any free agents, you thought they should take a discount for playing with niners.
Originally posted by susweel:

But you didnt want to "overpay" for any free agents, you thought they should take a discount for playing with niners.

yup. i did hear a lot of we don't need to "overspend" talk.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by lazy:
I thought the 49ers going spend money last year..I am not so hopeful that they will spend money in this up coming free agency.

Before they can start spending any money they need to have a GM that will create hope that any player that comes here will have a chance to win in the next two years.

We will never know how many players never even returned phone calls last off-season because they could see the train wreck coming. Good example is Kelechi Osemele. Lot of folks here were going crazy over the possibility of him coming here. He never even sniffed. Went to the Raiders because they were already on the rise. Hence, I don't expect any major FA signings this off-season. We have nothing to attract them except money and the good ones can get that anywhere.

We have a left tackle already..I don't really recall multiple people going crazy for a non-pro bowler tackle that got switched to guard

It is not clear what you are saying here?

I recall numerous comments about the possibility of Osemele coming here. He was rated in the top 5 last season. Currently mentioned in the same conversation with Zach Martin and Marshall Yanda as the best interior OL in the league...if that is what you are referencing.
Share 49ersWebzone