LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

Do we have the worst training staff in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst training staff in the league?

• dj43
I came across a couple of links that are interesting. I'll post them separately.

The first one is an article about what Bill Belichick has been doing this year to reduce injuries.

1. New head of training and assistant.

2. Move padded day from Wednesday to Thursday to allow players more time to recover from previous game.

3. Use GPS tracking to determine when player load may reach a level where less or no practice time may be of benefit.

4. Increased rotation of players at various positions - spread out work load while increasing depth.

The article notes that BB certainly has other secret things he does but these four things were mentioned specifically.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4797280/bill-belichick-pleased-with-significant-improvement-on-health-of-roster
Originally posted by dj43:
I came across a couple of links that are interesting. I'll post them separately.

The first one is an article about what Bill Belichick has been doing this year to reduce injuries.

2. Move padded day from Wednesday to Thursday to allow players more time to recover from previous game.

3. Use GPS tracking to determine when player load may reach a level where less or no practice time may be of benefit.

4. Increased rotation of players at various positions - spread out work load while increasing depth.

The article notes that BB certainly has other secret things he does but these four things were mentioned specifically.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4797280/bill-belichick-pleased-with-significant-improvement-on-health-of-roster

This is why BB is a f**king machine. Looking at my chart, NE was one of the healthiest teams in 2014...one of the least in 2015.

Recognizes it, makes adjustments.

Us? 4 straight years of being one of the most injured teams.

Hires Chip Kelly.
  • dj43
This link is a new one to me. It lists each team through week 15 by total number of games lost due to injury and the Individual Impact of the Players lost (IIT).

Overall the 49ers rank #21 in IIT, meaning the players lost have had a relatively small overall impact on the team. #25 in total number of games lost with 105, far below San Diego's league-leading 300 games lost due to injury.

Worth noting; NaVorro Bowman is rated as the 4th most important loss through out the entire league. Only Watt, Bridgewater and Peterson rank higher in terms of lost value to team. (says a lot about why the defense has struggled this season)

All of this was a bit of a surprise to me. I would have guessed we were more injured than this on a league-wide basis. This suggests a "duh" realization that it is lack of overall talent much more than games lost due to injury that is holding this team back.

https://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-week-15-games-missed-due-injury-december-20-2016/

EDIT: All of this suggests we don't have the worst training staff in the league, just the worst talent.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 31, 2016 at 8:54 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is why BB is a f**king machine. Looking at my chart, NE was one of the healthiest teams in 2014...one of the least in 2015.

Recognizes it, makes adjustments.

Us? 4 straight years of being one of the most injured teams.

Hires Chip Kelly.

Looking at the bubble chart on the next link shows NE as the healthiest team heading into playoffs despite the loss of Gronk.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
No. Balkee just drafts soft dudes
This link is a new one to me. It lists each team through week 15 by total number of games lost due to injury and the Individual Impact of the Players lost (IIT).

Overall the 49ers rank #21 in IIT, meaning the players lost have had a relatively small overall impact on the team. #25 in total number of games lost with 105, far below San Diego's league-leading 300 games lost due to injury.

Worth noting; NaVorro Bowman is rated as the 4th most important loss through out the entire league. Only Watt, Bridgewater and Peterson rank higher in terms of lost value to team. (says a lot about why the defense has struggled this season)

All of this was a bit of a surprise to me. I would have guessed we were more injured than this on a league-wide basis. This suggests a "duh" realization that it is lack of overall talent much more than games lost due to injury that is holding this team back.

https://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-week-15-games-missed-due-injury-december-20-2016/

This and PFF add values to players attached to names (very subjective) which is why I like the AGL better. It doesn't do that. See definitions on previous page.
Looking at the bubble chart on the next link shows NE as the healthiest team heading into playoffs despite the loss of Gronk.

I haven't kept up with them but that would be my guess. Look at their 2015 AGL. Only 1 of 2 teams above 70 AGL who made the playoffs. That's incredible. A true sign of having a FQB, great depth and consistent schemes and outstanding coaching making constant adjustments on the fly. Kudos to WA too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 31, 2016 at 9:04 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
No. Balkee just drafts soft dudes

And that too, sadly.

We very obviously need this.
Most injuries coming on defense and you know why.... chip Kelly keeping them on the field

• dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if you can find a training staff that can prevent injuries on the field, you spend tens of millions on them. Plus there is no such thing as an injury preventing training staff

Sadly, this is the reality. There is no magic potion. I've heard several physicians in here talk about this issue. There might be something to the new CBA rules (b/c this year it's been the worst I've seen across the entire NFL); we're seeing how poor our fundamentals are in tackling, wrapping up, more and more complicated schemes that lend to hesitation and hesitation = injuries in any contact sport, etc. Throw in all the new rules on what's a legal hit and what's not and you have DB's diving at knees b/c of the target zone, player coming full force and having to let up last second to avoid penalties and bam, their own player clocks them, etc. I genuinely can't figure this one out.

The ACL's draft picks haven't helped either but I think we've had more players end up with ACL's vs. those drafted. So adding them together, it just magnifies everything.

In the article above about Belichick he notes there is not a lot you can do about impact injuries, but soft-tissue, non-contact injuries are where they try to focus their efforts and research. Just common sense, however, you still need to figure out what to do. I'm sure whatever BB has learned he is not about to share it with anyone.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Most injuries coming on defense and you know why.... chip Kelly keeping them on the field

Wrong. The reason the defense is staying on the field is because they are not good even when they are fresh.

It would also help if the offense quit leading the league in 3-and-outs due to poor quality play.

Kelly can't throw it and catch it himself.

Yes, with fatigue injuries tend to mount but it isn't Kelly's fault the roster sucks. He is playing the hand he was dealt.
After the browns, Yep.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if you can find a training staff that can prevent injuries on the field, you spend tens of millions on them. Plus there is no such thing as an injury preventing training staff

Sadly, this is the reality. There is no magic potion. I've heard several physicians in here talk about this issue. There might be something to the new CBA rules (b/c this year it's been the worst I've seen across the entire NFL); we're seeing how poor our fundamentals are in tackling, wrapping up, more and more complicated schemes that lend to hesitation and hesitation = injuries in any contact sport, etc. Throw in all the new rules on what's a legal hit and what's not and you have DB's diving at knees b/c of the target zone, player coming full force and having to let up last second to avoid penalties and bam, their own player clocks them, etc. I genuinely can't figure this one out.

The ACL's draft picks haven't helped either but I think we've had more players end up with ACL's vs. those drafted. So adding them together, it just magnifies everything.

In the article above about Belichick he notes there is not a lot you can do about impact injuries, but soft-tissue, non-contact injuries are where they try to focus their efforts and research. Just common sense, however, you still need to figure out what to do. I'm sure whatever BB has learned he is not about to share it with anyone.

There really isn't. It's not like our team wasn't in great shape this year and Kelly has a nice training program that monitors players utilization.

But we've now proven it doesn't matter who's at the helm, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, this team is snake bitten.

The only coach to ever overcome a rash of injuries HERE was Vic Fangio.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 31, 2016 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by 16to804ever:
After the browns, Yep.

LOL. A fan and I were joking during the game. Playing a game.

"Who's playing good right now? Rashard Robinson"

Injured

"Now, who's left that playing good? Shaun Draughn"

Injured

It's been that kind of season. Hopefully this is the end of this damn curse.
Share 49ersWebzone