LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Do we have the worst training staff in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst training staff in the league?

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The 49ers have 15 players on IR, there are 11 other teams who have as many or more players on IR. It is bad but not out of the ordinary.

Bad teams put more players on IR because these players have nothing to play for so there is no reason to risk injuring them further.

Agreed, it's a league-wide epidemic. Just curious, what are the records of these 15 teams?
Total amount or players on ir is only part of the story. The quality of the player and at what point in the season they are placed on ir also need to be factored in. U always hear fans talk about their team having worst injury situation in the league. Problem is I don't think they go over the other 31 teams and look at their situations.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Total amount or players on ir is only part of the story. The quality of the player and at what point in the season they are placed on ir also need to be factored in. U always hear fans talk about their team having worst injury situation in the league. Problem is I don't think they go over the other 31 teams and look at their situations.

True. Very true. Critical lost players prior to the, start of the season, when they were lost, quality of those losses (to the team; not to the league), domino effects, etc.

And again, these are just the lost players to I.R. So many more other losses and games lost for so many other players due to a variety of reasons.

It's the big picture. For us, over the past three years, we probably have a pretty good idea we've been eff'd.

Just hoping next year this won't be an issue. But I doubt it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The 49ers have 15 players on IR, there are 11 other teams who have as many or more players on IR. It is bad but not out of the ordinary.

Bad teams put more players on IR because these players have nothing to play for so there is no reason to risk injuring them further.

Agreed, it's a league-wide epidemic. Just curious, what are the records of these 15 teams?

According to Sporttrac, the 49ers have 15 players on IR, here are the teams with more than 15 players on IR.
Chargers (22) 5-9
Bears (21) 3-11
Bills (21) 7-7
Saints (20) 6-8
Jets (19) 4-10
Ravens (19) 8-6
Panthers (16) 5-8
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yep...
$15 million of cap is on the IR for the 49ers, 10 teams have more. The Bears have $32 million of cap on the IR.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Dec 19, 2016 at 2:59 PM ]
Soft culture set by the owners after actually sympathizing with players who b***h about being worked too hard.

According to Sporttrac, the 49ers have 15 players on IR, here are the teams with more than 15 players on IR.
Chargers (22) 5-9
Bears (21) 3-11
Bills (21) 7-7
Saints (20) 6-8
Jets (19) 4-10
Ravens (19) 8-6
Panthers (16) 5-8

Thanks bro. Looks like a strong correlation to L's, not surprisingly.

The best a team could hope for with that many players on I.R. would be 8 W's. We had 21 (8-8 record), 17 (5-11) & now 15+ (1-15).

Makes you appreciate our 8-8 2014 season. Of course we had depth then. We don't now with the start of the rebuild.

Lots of FQB's in there too and they couldn't offset the losses. I'm a bit surprised by that.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 19, 2016 at 3:36 PM ]
Yep...
$15 million of cap is on the IR for the 49ers, 10 teams have more. The Bears have $32 million of cap on the IR.

Oh, now that's a great way to look at it. In money. Like the loss of Bowman to us...or the loss of Earl Thomas to Seattle. Those are the two biggest losses to each team and salary backs that up. Imagine if Seattle lost Earl Thomas the same week Bowman went out...what would their record be?

Bowman is #2 on our team salary cap or 8% overall. We lost $8,319,561 of his $10,239,460 salary (only got 3 of 16 games out of him). Whereas Earl Thomas is #3 on their team salary cap and got $6,187,500 of his $9,900,000 worth (10 of 16 games).
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Worst in the entire planet, not just the league...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You mean roided out guys running full speed into each other causes injuries ????

We had a lot of players going on IR regularly before Nolan took over. It was so apparent that he replaced all the trainers and traded the exercise machines for free weights, and it seemed to work. I don't think the training staff has changed much since Harbaugh was here, so it's probably time to start over.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Worst in the entire planet, not just the league...

Worst in history, bro... HISTORY!

I agree. For example, look at the Vikings and Adrian Peterson: if Adrian Peterson played for the 49ers how do you think they would've handled his injury? Chances are they would've put him on IR. The Vikings abstained from doing so, and now he's back in time for the playoff run. Like you alluded to, there wouldn't have been incentive in the Niners getting a player like that back.

Many of the IR players were "redshirt stashes" -- Dres Anderson, DeAndre Smelter, Busta Anderson, Trey Millard, Keith Reaser, Kaleb Ramsey, Kenneth Acker, Luke Marquardt, Brandon Thomas. We can't cry poor fortune on injuries when we're either drafting injured players, or coming up with make-believe injuries to stash them away.

Then you look through the list and realize that there are a lot of bad players on it. Thad Lewis? Chuck Jacobs? Fou Fonoti? Shaun Draughn? Michael Wilhoite? Shayne Skov? Nick Bellore? Chris Davis? Seriously, who cares? These are like fringe practice squad players.

IMO looking at total IR players is extremely misleading. There are many reasons that our counts are inflated.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I agree. For example, look at the Vikings and Adrian Peterson: if Adrian Peterson played for the 49ers how do you think they would've handled his injury? Chances are they would've put him on IR. The Vikings abstained from doing so, and now he's back in time for the playoff run. Like you alluded to, there wouldn't have been incentive in the Niners getting a player like that back.

Many of the IR players were "redshirt stashes" -- Dres Anderson, DeAndre Smelter, Busta Anderson, Trey Millard, Keith Reaser, Kaleb Ramsey, Kenneth Acker, Luke Marquardt, Brandon Thomas. We can't cry poor fortune on injuries when we're either drafting injured players, or coming up with make-believe injuries to stash them away.

Then you look through the list and realize that there are a lot of bad players on it. Thad Lewis? Chuck Jacobs? Fou Fonoti? Shaun Draughn? Michael Wilhoite? Shayne Skov? Nick Bellore? Chris Davis? Seriously, who cares? These are like fringe practice squad players.

IMO looking at total IR players is extremely misleading. There are many reasons that our counts are inflated.

True. But keep in mind there are many layers to a team. So while nobody is missing sleep over Wilhoite, Bellore, Skov, etc. the ST coach is. And then later, O'Neil is losing sleep because they are now starting. And then they go down. The ripple effect is on.

It affects everything. These aren't just names. Other players you listed like Chris Davis don't appear a big deal either...but he's you're starting slot CB. He had a bad leg and then went out on I.R. later. In and out of the lineup. Now that forces Ward to stop focusing on outside CB and start pulling double duty. Then that pulls Robinson off the bench to play outside in nickel because Ward has to slide inside.

Teams are made up of three phases and a lot of key role players. The Seahawks flat out lost a Superbowl because they lost Jeremy Lane, their slot CB.

Chargers (22) 5-9
Bears (21) 3-11
Bills (21) 7-7
Saints (20) 6-8
Jets (19) 4-10
Ravens (19) 8-6
Panthers (16) 5-8

Thanks bro. Looks like a strong correlation to L's, not surprisingly.

The best a team could hope for with that many players on I.R. would be 8 W's. We had 21 (8-8 record), 17 (5-11) & now 15+ (1-15).

Makes you appreciate our 8-8 2014 season. Of course we had depth then. We don't now with the start of the rebuild.

Lots of FQB's in there too and they couldn't offset the losses. I'm a bit surprised by that.

All of those teams are significantly better than the 49ers, they all have much better records and it isn't even close if you look at point differential.

49ers (16) 1-13 -170
Chargers (22) 5-9 0
Bears (21) 3-11 -72
Bills (21) 7-7 +44
Saints (20) 6-8 +14
Jets (19) 4-10 -116
Ravens (19) 8-6 +43 (Ozzie)
Panthers (16) 5-8 -26

The 49ers have less guys on IR than any of these teams and are much worse and I would bet the players that these each of teams are without are better overall than the guys the 49ers are without.
The injuries made the 49ers worse but I am guessing hte team would still be the second worst in the NFL even if not one player went to IR this year.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Dec 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone