There are 148 users in the forums

Steve Young on the state of the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I listen to his show on KNBR every week, he gives insights that only a player knows, about team chemistry, leadership etc. He doesn't sugarcoat anything, that's why the Yorks wouldn't hire him for any position. We have two of the top QB's in the history of the NFL, taught the game by arguably the best coach in NFL history and have the Yorks ever invited them to training camp to work with the QB's? Never.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I want Steve Young as the general manager. He can do just as good of a job as John Elway in my opinion or even better. He's a lot smarter. All he has to do is steal pro bowl players like John Elway did.
Aqib talib
Peyton manning
Tj Ward
Emmanuel sanders
Demarcus ware

Sb here we come!!!! We need a general manager that isn't stubborn and will overspend for players that we need to provide a championship run or at least be competitive. Having a team with the most salary cap doesn't do anything for the team or the fans.

They also drafted well. And like it or not, Elway is a businessman. Is Steve Young? I love Steve. Still got his white 1995 Jersey that I am dying to get autographed by him. But just because he was great, loves the Niners, does not equate to becoming a stellar GM.

Steve is a lawyer he passed the bar just because he could. Elway was a car salesman. Both con artist occupations. Steve prob already memorized the new CBA just for s**ts n giggles.
Originally posted by Viperboy:
The Frank Gore comments were chilling...seams Frank still cares more about the Niners than the Folks that are here

Well, what did he say?
They also drafted well. And like it or not, Elway is a businessman. Is Steve Young? I love Steve. Still got his white 1995 Jersey that I am dying to get autographed by him. But just because he was great, loves the Niners, does not equate to becoming a stellar GM.

I agree, Steve should not be a GM, but there must be a role for him. He understands team dynamics and the importance of team identity and leadership. He could be a consultant to the team president.
[ Edited by Truman49 on Dec 15, 2016 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
And guys, what did Steve say? We need a quarterback!! We need a quarterback to build the team around and without a quarterback we don't stand a chance. So, think about that for a moment before you carry on screaming for Myles Garrett!!

And he also agreed with Dilfer's comments as well...just noted that it's just part of the issue. Again, both are right on many levels IMHO.
Originally posted by elguapo:
I want Steve Young as the general manager. He can do just as good of a job as John Elway in my opinion or even better. He's a lot smarter. All he has to do is steal pro bowl players like John Elway did.
Aqib talib
Peyton manning
Tj Ward
Emmanuel sanders
Demarcus ware

Sb here we come!!!! We need a general manager that isn't stubborn and will overspend for players that we need to provide a championship run or at least be competitive. Having a team with the most salary cap doesn't do anything for the team or the fans.

Great question!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Truman49:
http://www.knbr.com/2016/12/14/steve-young-losses-dont-matter-to-the-yorks-because-they-are-making-money/

http://www.knbr.com/2016/12/14/young-disagrees-with-dilfer-on-trent-baalkes-resume/

He has discussed the importance of team identity and leadership for years. He summed up the issues with the 49ers perfectly: Ownership only cares about making money, and the team will ultimately fail (no matter the GM or Coach) without a strong team identity and leadership.

He may not have the experience to be a GM, but there must be a role for Steve Young on the 49ers.

What Young actually said is the Yorks don't necessarily not care about winning, but they care more about making money, and because they can still make truckloads of money even when the team is losing -- even losing in historically bad fashion -- that they have no accountability whatsoever to really get things right.

It's about priorities, and until the owners care at least as much about winning as they do about making money, the team will be lucky to have any on-field success -- specifically any LASTING success -- in the future.

I completely agree that Young should be part of the organization in some capacity. I don't think he'd be a fit for GM, but he's a great football mind and has a background that I believe would be a huge benefit for the team's front office.

Yeah. Steve Young would give them instant credibility but will instantly be the most loved and powerful guy in the buildin. Yorks will not like that. They are more into yes men.

Yes, that is why I wouldn't be surprised if they announce in the offseason.. "Introducing our new GM...... Jim Tomsula!"
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I listen to his show on KNBR every week, he gives insights that only a player knows, about team chemistry, leadership etc. He doesn't sugarcoat anything, that's why the Yorks wouldn't hire him for any position. We have two of the top QB's in the history of the NFL, taught the game by arguably the best coach in NFL history and have the Yorks ever invited them to training camp to work with the QB's? Never.

Pathetic
Originally posted by NCommand:
And guys, what did Steve say? We need a quarterback!! We need a quarterback to build the team around and without a quarterback we don't stand a chance. So, think about that for a moment before you carry on screaming for Myles Garrett!!

And he also agreed with Dilfer's comments as well...just noted that it's just part of the issue. Again, both are right on many levels IMHO.

He never agreed with anything TD said in regards to player development under JH. He along with Brent Jones and other former players have been very vocal in their criticisms of Baalke and the talent, or lack there of, that he has brought in. I listen to these guys all the time on my way way home from work
more media babble. concussion induced gooey brain is a scary thing

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

He never agreed with anything TD said in regards to player development under JH. He along with Brent Jones and other former players have been very vocal in their criticisms of Baalke and the talent, or lack there of, that he has brought in. I listen to these guys all the time on my way way home from work

You REALLY seem to think everything is referencing Harbaugh. People have moved on. All the comments now are related to the CURRENT state of the franchise. Listen to the interview again.

First link in the OP...his quote @ 11:50:

"It's OK, but the problem is...Trent is right in that...He's (Dilfer) not wrong...Trent's not wrong but that's a small piece of the iceberg." ~ Young
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 15, 2016 at 8:38 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
It's really hard to root for this team under this ownership. I feel like a complete tool knowing that the ownership is just throwing a logo on the field for us to purchase and place on our hats, shirts, and television...

I'm a born 49er fan and have been on this planet for 38 years... At some point, I have to challenge myself to justify investing any more energy into a sport that has little interest in being a "sport".

Over the years, I've been moving more towards college football and dropping my attention towards the NFL. This offseason will most likely be a critical point regarding my attention span for the NFL in general.

I'm so sad for the fans that just have the 49ers as their rooting interest... And I understand why Southern College Football fans care so much about their team. SEC teams in general care very much about competition. Some PAC teams are the same... But in the NFL, you know the teams that can give two you know whats about field product...
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 15, 2016 at 8:31 AM ]

You REALLY seem to think everything is referencing Harbaugh. People have moved on. All the comments now are related to the CURRENT state of the franchise. Listen to the interview again.

I wanted to make it very clear that he was not agreeing with TD in that regard, which you did not specify. it seems that you and TD may be the ones who have not moved on since there always seems to be some angle (remember bringing up all those players from that regime yesterday) that goes back to how flawed JH was, how he failed this franchise, how the 49ers were right to move on and how Baalke has minimal accountability in all of this. I Just sometimes like to step in and correct you NC We are focusing on the present and the ineptitude of the Yorks and Baalke, so people need to stop trying to justify the JH firing by making constant references things from that time to make themselves feel better about where this team is. As you said, we are past it and it's clear who is failing this franchise . And that's the last I will speak of him
I wanted to make it very clear that he was not agreeing with TD in that regard, which you did not specify. it seems that you and TD may be the ones who have not moved on since there always seems to be some angle (remember bringing up all those players from that regime yesterday) that goes back to how flawed JH was, how he failed this franchise, how the 49ers were right to move on and how Baalke has minimal accountability in all of this. I Just sometimes like to step in and correct you NC We are focusing on the present and the ineptitude of the Yorks and Baalke, so people need to stop trying to justify the JH firing by making constant references things from that time to make themselves feel better about where this team is. As you said, we are past it and it's clear who is failing this franchise . And that's the last I will speak of him

His exact quotes:

First link in the OP...his quote's start @ 11:50:

"It's OK, but the problem is...Trent is right in that...He's (Dilfer) not wrong...Trent's not wrong but that's a small piece of the iceberg." ~ Young

I agree with Young. TD 'was' talking about Harbaugh's last year, Tomsula and now, Kelly. I agree with Tomsula and Kelly but not Harbaugh's last year. But TD's premise was not incorrect either.
Originally posted by Geeked:
It's really hard to root for this team under this ownership. I feel like a complete tool knowing that the ownership is just throwing a logo on the field for us to purchase and place on our hats, shirts, and television...

I'm a born 49er fan and have been on this planet for 38 years... At some point, I have to challenge myself to justify investing any more energy into a sport that has little interest in being a "sport".

Over the years, I've been moving more towards college football and dropping my attention towards the NFL. This offseason will most likely be a critical point regarding my attention span for the NFL in general.

I'm so sad for the fans that just have the 49ers as their rooting interest... And I understand why Southern College Football fans care so much about their team. SEC teams in general care very much about competition. Some PAC teams are the same... But in the NFL, you know the teams that can give two you know whats about field product...

It sucks. Young's best point IMHO was that these owners are insulated and will make money whether the team wins or loses. He said the 9ers went from worth $200M to $2B under the York's tenure. Winning is secondary to ALL owners now. It's not that owner's don't want to win...they do...but there is no tie anymore of: winning = more $.

That is dead, so what REALLY is the motivation for owners now? It certainly isn't to win. That's just icing on the cake now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone