LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Steve Young on the state of the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
He was great but in the NFC Championship game against the Packers I remember Favre had so much more zip on his passes than Steve.

granted some of those losses were not his fault due to the fact the team refused to address the running back issue. it is pathetic that our quarterback was our best running back so many times

Truth!

Yep!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
At the very least, the loss in Green Bay where he tried to play with a flak jacket over broken ribs in near-freezing temperature but only lasted a couple series was definitely not his fault. (After the 1996 season).

Grbac threw 3 INTs and Kirby and Floyd fumbled 3 times, losing 2.
got hurt the week before in vs philly right?
Originally posted by captveg:
At the very least, the loss in Green Bay where he tried to play with a flak jacket over broken ribs in near-freezing temperature but only lasted a couple series was definitely not his fault. (After the 1996 season).

Grbac threw 3 INTs and Kirby and Floyd fumbled 3 times, losing 2.
got hurt the week before in vs philly right?

Yes.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by Antix:
Steve Young actually cares about the team way more than the Yorks. That's why I'd want him here. But it's a tough job and he won't even be offered. Everything he's saying is spot on though.

for three years I was wondering why he isn't in our organizations... I remember when he was playing how frustrating the offensive players where with him bc He was such a profectionest... anything that was lacking he would bring it out and trust me i remember the offensive line used to get mad at him... but he brought his all to the game as well. QB coach in the making

yup and that's why he would be a perfect QB coach... He knows talent and players who will learn to change to be great. Steve Young was a steal when Walsh got him from the Buccaneers, and that is in him now. Why hasn't York hired yet, doesn't he know talent when it's in front of him.
we were billed as this well run machine but one issue is that we did draft terrible overall and starting after the 94 year till terry kirby arrived in 97 we totally let the running back thing alone. our defense got old and slow and we were desperate enough to call charles haley out of retirement in 98
Johnny Johnson - RB - 1996. 28 yrs old coming off a full season injured 4K yards in 5 previous seasons

Never made it out of training camp

"JOHNNY JOHNSON, a onetime Pro Bowl running back who did not play last season after being cut by the Jets in a salary-cap move, was signed yesterday by the San Francisco 49ers in hopes he can revive the team's running game.

"He's got himself in the type of condition and mental frame of mind that I think he's really going to contribute to our club," Coach GEORGE SEIFERT said.

Johnson, 27, signed a two-year, $3 million contract that included a $500,000 signing bonus. He last played in 1994, when he rushed for a career-high 931 yards and five touchdowns in his second year with the Jets, who released him before last season in a financial move."
[ Edited by Lipstickonface on Mar 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM ]
Steve Young may not be a GM but many franchises keep ex players on as consultants, his opinion is usually spot on. Steve Young is #1! Let's all vote for Steve Young being better than Troy Aikman here on this video of them supposedly going head to head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7iSCK7EJtk STEVE YOUNG is on a level with Joe Montana that would be above Troy Aikman!!
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
He was great but in the NFC Championship game against the Packers I remember Favre had so much more zip on his passes than Steve.

granted some of those losses were not his fault due to the fact the team refused to address the running back issue. it is pathetic that our quarterback was our best running back so many times

Truth!

Yep!

Steve Young had the best teams imaginable and only won one Super Bowl.

He had some horrible games at Candlestick in the play offs.

He tended to force plays too and his zip and throwing strength was only ever ordinary.

I wish they had kept Montana and used Steve Young as trade bait.

We could have got at least 2 first round draft choices for him and used one of them on a new young QB.
Montana was injury prone at that point and had 1.5 seasons left in him. What young qb did you want? Heath Shuler, Trent Dilfer?
Montana wasn't injury prone.

He just took one big hit which almost killed him.

Joe was ready to go for the 1992 season because management had already transitioned to Young. He came back and played the last half of a Monday night football game against the Detriot Lions and looked sharp as ever.

Joe was almost put into the play off game vrs the Redskins when Steve Young had the play off yips.

He only left Kansas City because it wasn't San Fransisco.

Joe left his heart in San Fransisco and didn't feel the same once traded. We could have got Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia plus a top running back which we needed as Roger Craig was at the end of his career.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Steve Young had the best teams imaginable and only won one Super Bowl.

He had some horrible games at Candlestick in the play offs.

He tended to force plays too and his zip and throwing strength was only ever ordinary.

I wish they had kept Montana and used Steve Young as trade bait.

We could have got at least 2 first round draft choices for him and used one of them on a new young QB.

It's always bittersweet discussing this topic.

While many of us are "Montana guys" and wanted to stay with him, you can't help but love Young at the same time.

As a human being he's incredible. Yes, this part matters because he really was a caring player on and off the field, and in addition to that he won many memorable games for us from the 50 yard TD run against Vikings, sweeping Dallas in '94, Super Bowl XXIX, Bengals comeback, beating Peyton Manning first time against SF, and of course the "Catch II". That's more than enough for any franchise QB, it just seemed not enough because we had Joe.

Just wish that Young was younger/Montana older when we first got him, along the lines of Rodgers/Favre transition.

Imagine Montana never getting KO'd by Leonard Marshall......what then.......how many years could Young be patiently a backup?

If Montana retired after '94, maybe he could have played until '95. At a high level he was known for, maybe he was good up until '92 or '93.

Ideal world Young would have taken over for Montana in '94 or '95 or something and then rocked on until 2001........

But the world is/was and never will be ideal.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on May 14, 2017 at 10:30 PM ]

I was at the game. Montana was like half a second a way from throwing to a wide open Jerry Rice for the NFC game winning TD.

http://i.imgur.com/pyWyjsG.gif

We would have marched right over Buffalo Bills and threepeated.

Ronnie Lott would never have left on Plan B.

Charles Haley may not have peed in George Seifert's car and stayed also.

We might have four or fivepeated against the Bills.

But that is an alternate universe now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I was at the game. Montana was like half a second a way from throwing to a wide open Jerry Rice for the NFC game winning TD.

http://i.imgur.com/pyWyjsG.gif

We would have marched right over Buffalo Bills and threepeated.

Ronnie Lott would never have left on Plan B.

Charles Haley may not have peed in George Seifert's car and stayed also.

We might have four or fivepeated against the Bills.

But that is an alternate universe now.
All Bubba Paris' fault!!!

Sorry - I just threw up in my mouth a little bit looking at this picture. Why do you torture me so?
yup and that's why he would be a perfect QB coach... He knows talent and players who will learn to change to be great. Steve Young was a steal when Walsh got him from the Buccaneers, and that is in him now. Why hasn't York hired yet, doesn't he know talent when it's in front of him.

Naturally great players rarely make good coaches. But I very much doubt Steve has wanted at any stage to be a qb coach. The guy is a qualified lawyer.
Originally posted by English:

Naturally great players rarely make good coaches. But I very much doubt Steve has wanted at any stage to be a qb coach. The guy is a qualified lawyer.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone