There are 252 users in the forums

Better opportunity for a HC - 49ers on Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Better opportunity for a HC - 49ers on Rams?

• Lifer
  • Veteran
As others have said, if you fail to fix the Front Office, the best HC candidates will not want to come here and you'll never escape the death spiral. The 49ers have had three Head Coaches in three years and the team has gone from 8-8, to 5-11, to 1-15. It should be obvious to anyone, even the Yorks, that the FO structure is broken and that throwing new Head Coaches at the problem is not working.

The best thing they could do (which is why they probably won't do it) is to bring in a top quality executive (GM, President, Czar, whatever) and give him complete autonomy. This man needs to be experienced, well-connected, and respected around the league. That's the only thing that will change the perception and make San Francisco a desireable destination.

Any HC considering the 49ers can see that the roster is weak and the team is at the beginning of a multi-year rebuild. The only thing that makes that situation attractive is the opportunity to put your own stamp on the team and build it the right way. If the right structure is in place, it's an attractive job. If the existing structure is in place, failure is assured.

The Seahawks had no trouble attracting Pete Carroll because they gave him the one thing he knew, from experience, is essential to success in the NFL: the right Front Office structure and a GM that he respected and knew he could work with.

For the Yorks to succeed, they have to do the one thing they can't bear to do: hire an outsider and give him complete control.
[ Edited by Lifer on Dec 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Rams almost perfect weather, management, celebs, no QB questions or (Kap) headaches and a really talented D when they get it together.

This
Originally posted by Lifer:
As others have said, if you fail to fix the Front Office, the best HC candidates will not want to come here and you'll never escape the death spiral. The 49ers have had three Head Coaches in three years and the team has gone from 8-8, to 5-11, to 1-15. It should be obvious to anyone, even the Yorks, that the FO structure is broken and that throwing new Head Coaches at the problem is not working.

The best thing they could do (which is why they probably won't do it) is to bring in a top quality executive (GM, President, Czar, whatever) and give him complete autonomy. This man needs to be experienced, well-connected, and respected around the league. That's the only thing that will change the perception and make San Francisco a desireable destination.

Any HC considering the 49ers can see that the roster is weak and the team is at the beginning of a multi-year rebuild. The only thing that makes that situation attractive is the opportunity to put your own stamp on the team and build it the right way. If the right structure is in place, it's an attractive job. If the existing structure is in place, failure is assured.

The Seahawks had no trouble attracting Pete Carroll because they gave him the one thing he knew, from experience, is essential to success in the NFL: the right Front Office structure and a GM that he respected and knew he could work with.

For the Yorks to succeed, they have to do the one thing they can't bear to do: hire an outsider and give him complete control.

This is the crux of it. Hire a HoFO, he hires GM, and then those two hire their head coach. Paraag goes, Trent goes, chip goes, and then Jed gives the HoFO full control. Do that and 4 coaches in 4 yrs won't matter. If Jed is still the boss...it doesn't work. He has hurt us enough already, and needs to go.
Rams.

Anything on earth is better than the Dorks.......
Originally posted by BobS:
A mediocre coach like Fisher just got 5 years to prove himself plus a paid vacation. The 49ers couldn't even tolerate a winner like Harbaugh that turned the team around for that long.

These two sentences sums up the 49er ownership.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This is the crux of it. Hire a HoFO, he hires GM, and then those two hire their head coach. Paraag goes, Trent goes, chip goes, and then Jed gives the HoFO full control. Do that and 4 coaches in 4 yrs won't matter. If Jed is still the boss...it doesn't work. He has hurt us enough already, and needs to go.

I agree with all of this except I wouldn't outright fire Kelly before a new GM is hired. I would make it clear to Kelly and any GM candidates that it would be up to the new GM to decide whether or not he wants to keep Kelly or bring in a new head coach.

The thing I agree with most is that York needs to go. He doesn't have the football savvy or the right temperament to have the role he has now. Unfortunately, that is the least likely thing to happen of all the things you listed that should happen. So the best we can hope for probably is what you (I think) sort of suggested - hire someone with real football savvy and the right temperament to actually run the team and Jed becomes essentially a figurehead owner.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 24, 2016 at 8:58 AM ]
Rams. Regarding the 49ers, you can't build a skyscraper without a foundation. As long as the Yorks are in control, this team is doomed. Not enough deodorant in the world to hide their stink.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/which-is-the-best-coaching-vacancy/

49ers with more votes than Rams so far, lol.
It's clearly the Niners job for two reasons:

1. Coach will come in with a new GM he is familiar with. Therefore, there is philosophical alignment and job security. When coming in with an existing GM, your job is usually tied to theirs (like Chip found out this year). This way, the coach and the GM will be given at least a couple of seasons to build this thing.
2. The coach gets to bring in his own QB. Yes, this can be interpreted as we don't have a QB. But I'd rather pick one myself than have my success tied to an incumbent 1st overall pick that did not look impressive in his first year.
The Rams, play in dump, in a town notorious for fair weather fans. The Rams mortgaged their future for a QB, who looks unready. Who ever takes the Rams job will be forced to start Geoff for a year, or two, and unless you think he is the man, the Rams are a death trap.

The Niners have 87 million in cap space, more if Colin walks at the end of the season, 11 draft picks including the second overall pick, in each round, they have a new stadium, and an ownership desperate to give up power, I'll take the Niners job!

Edit: The Niners also have a very deep Offensive line, so you won't be forced to toss money or draft picks at the ever unsexy O-line. Team needs are:

inside linebackers (2) one to start next the Bow, one to take his place when he gets hurt.

Nose takle

Outside line backer who can rush the passer

Wide receiver, one good one

Running back, to split carries with Hyde, the man of glass

And of course a QB, if Keep walks, maybe even if he stays, because he doesn't fit every system.

11 draft picks, and 87 million can get all of those positions filled, in one or two seasons.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:40 AM ]

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Rams almost perfect weather, management, celebs, no QB questions or (Kap) headaches and a really talented D when they get it together.

This

No qb questions? Really?
We have some of the most delusional fans. You can hate Kap all you want, but to say that LA doesn't have QB issues is beyond delusional. Kap hate actually blinds some people.
The rams just mortgaged their draft for that bust Goff, I'm so glad we didn't waste a pick on that soft ass sorry excuse for a quarterback. Any of you guys who think they are a better opportunity need your damned heads examined.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The rams just mortgaged their draft for that bust Goff, I'm so glad we didn't waste a pick on that soft ass sorry excuse for a quarterback. Any of you guys who think they are a better opportunity need your damned heads examined.

Agree completely. Goff had one of the worst performance of all time for a #1 overall QB. Why would a new HC want to hitch up to that? Not only did you not pick him, but you're forced to give him two more years... minimum. There is no chance I'd want to stake my career on a guy I absolutely have to roll with for 2+ years. There is no flexibility in that job. The HC's career is tied to Jared Goff. That's not a good risk to take with so many other options for HC out there.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

No York and Marathe make them a better opportunity.
Share 49ersWebzone