LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

What could have been, Gase as HC and Vic Fangio as DC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After the Harbaugh era Trent Baalke interviewed Adam Gase, and apparently made him an offer. Gase wanted to keep Vic Fangio on as DC, but Baalke and company wanted Jom Tomosula the vaunted DL coach to be DC. Gase wanted to pick his own DC, so he passed on the HC opportunity because apparently he could tell the FO is disfunctional on Bicentennial drive in Santa Clara.

Fast forward a few years, Tomosula is collecting a HC check for not working, and the 2016 niners are on pace to set records in a bad way.

ONE can only imagine how different the team would look, feel, and be prepared if Gase was the HC and Fangio was the DC.
Didn't fangio get fired a couple weeks ago
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Didn't fangio get fired a couple weeks ago

That was Roman, and honestly coaching wouldn't matter much with the present talent level of the team. You could have Belichick and Walsh and this is still at most a 7 win team.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by McClusky:
That was Roman, and honestly coaching wouldn't matter much with the present talent level of the team. You could have Belichick and Walsh and this is still at most a 7 win team.

That's significantly better than 1-12 looking at 1-15 on the horizon.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm trying to forget we fired Fangio. ugh
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:

We didn't fire him...I think he refused to coach the team under Tomsula and asked for a release.
Originally posted by jcs:

We didn't fire him...I think he refused to coach the team under Tomsula and asked for a release.

this
I was on the Gase/Vic bandwagon hard...Jed had to butt his nose in that s**t and ruin it yet again. I can't blame that one on Baalke fully but he's got to go and we need to let chip walk as well.

I'm actually glad momma and poppa bear are stepping in lol...that means some s**t will change... I doubt they could possibly make it worse than it already is

Like the OP mentioned we wanted Tomsula as our DC under Gase. That's wasn't a commitment to Fangio as DC.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

It was a mutual parting.

someone's been eating the Memberries.
Yes, but we won with class. Wait... not WON. Lost. But with lots and lots of class.

Woo-hoo!
Tomsula was obviously the greatest teacher ever.

That is what's important.... to Jed

This
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Tomsula was obviously the greatest teacher ever.

That is what's important.... to Jed

I mean, I bet that guy can teach you how to make a mean meatball sub.
Share 49ersWebzone