There are 193 users in the forums

Coaches Film Thread Week 12 2016: at Dolphins

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
It's easy to see a 3x2 play concept when it's empty back. Lately, the 49ers have used a lot of formations were there are 2 TEs to one side, and two WRs to the opposite side. This is an attempt to give the QB a clearer presnap read. If there is a CB over the slot WR, it's man coverage. If there is a safety or LB over the slot WR, it's zone. This has been happening over the past few games, is on film, and here MIA makes an adjustment to fool Kap.

With both CBs to one side to match the WRs, and a safety over the RB (should be #32 Harris), this shows man coverage, but it's actually Cover3 with the deep zones being played by 2 safeties and 1 CB (deep safety, black CB, and white S).

Kap takes the snap and looks to his left. Underneath zone defenders highlighted. Blue is the weakside hook/curl defender and he shaded towards the strongside of the field to help. This leaves a passing lane to Patton's Slant.

Looking left to move #46 out of the passing lane.

+12

The way he moved the linebackers with his eyes and then suddenly snaps back to throw the slant without hesitation is something I haven't seen from Kap in a long time. No doubt his best game of the year and he does look more comfortable in chips offense each game that passes. It also clearly helps having a decent pass protecting OL not only for the obvious passes but for when Kap scrambles. Last year with Martin, Devey and Pears you had guys coming right up the gut as soon as the QB hit his back foot, no QB can escape constant pressure coming staight at him consistently, it helps he can step up for a sec and then manouver out of the pocket if it does break down.
Thanks THL as always :)
thl, good stuff as always.

Do you know why we aren't taking more deep shots to Smith? Is it play calling? Coverage on Smith? Lack of pass protection for deep throws?
Here's the nice gain to Vance on a seam throw down the middle of the field.

+35. No hesitation from Kap to pull the trigger.

From the broadcast view I thought the pass from Kap was higher than it looks here and that McDonald had to snag it from up above (or near) his head. But in this view it looks like the pass was only a little bit on the high side. I bet Kelly felt like a proud papa on that one.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM ]
After the Celek fumble, here's a play where Tartt gets caught up and allows a good gain for Ajayi. MIA has 6 inline blockers with a one RB backfield. So Tartt is the extra man in the box and should be unblocked.
Outside zone vs 49ers nickel 3-3-5

As the play develops, Tartt gets caught up inside.

This allows the blue TE to block 2 49ers Ward and Tartt. Ajayi gets the edge because Tartt was too far inside.

+10

I remember brooks getting put on skates by the TE on that replay on tv
  • thl408
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:

Do you know why we aren't taking more deep shots to Smith? Is it play calling? Coverage on Smith? Lack of pass protection for deep throws?

The MIA game they didn't take deep shots because MIA gave more 2 deep safety looks than the usual opponent (49ers don't see a lot of 2 deep shells), which helps defend vertical routes up the sideline. So in this game, it was because of coverage. In previous games they did take deep shots to Torrey against Cover1 looks, and couldn't connect. One thing Torrey does not get since he's been a 49er are targets on Go routes. He did most of his damage in BAL on Go routes up the sideline. I'd say the majority of his deep targets as a 49er have been on Post routes. Not sure why that is.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:

The MIA game they didn't take deep shots because MIA gave more 2 deep safety looks than the usual opponent (49ers don't see a lot of 2 deep shells), which helps defend vertical routes up the sideline. So in this game, it was because of coverage. In previous games they did take deep shots to Torrey against Cover1 looks, and couldn't connect. One thing Torrey does not get since he's been a 49er are targets on Go routes. He did most of his damage in BAL on Go routes up the sideline. I'd say the majority of his deep targets as a 49er have been on Post routes. Not sure why that is.

Comfort level of the QB's?
  • thl408
Just wanna finish this game up with a few more plays I thought are worthy of highlighting. Then eventually get to the last play.

49ers made some key conversions in the 4th quarter to make it a close game. Here's a 3rd & 12 on the drive that ended up with the Torrey TD catch. This play blends two concepts together and also acts to clear space for the Drag route underneath.

Trail concept with green + orange, being run as a horizontal stretch at the safety level.
Daggers concept with red + orange + yellow. This is a three route combo to create a high-low read. Red clears out for orange and yellow to vertically stretch the underneath zone defender.
vs Cover3

Normally, a Drag route by itself will not work against zone coverage because it is being run in front of the LBs who can attack downhill to quickly tackle the Drag. But here, the routes by red and orange push the zone defenders back to provide space for the drag. The key defender here is the strongside hook/curl defender (red). If he does not gain depth to carry the red route, then the orange Dig will be open. Here, red LB does gain depth to cover the red route so it opens up room for the yellow Drag. The orange route also pushes the strongside curl/flat defender back so that's more room for Harper to catch and run.

+16
  • thl408
Between Hyde and Draughn, the 49er RBs caught 11 catches for 79 yards. Some were on check downs but some were on plays designed for the RB as the primary option. The TD catch to Hyde was one, here is another on a WCO staple concept. This is on the 4th quarter drive that ended in a FG.
Texas concept vs Cover 2 Zone?

Red clears out for the yellow Angle route to work.

+16
  • thl408
This is the 4th & 11 conversion on the 49ers final drive, and it's an example of execution beating scheme. This is the same route concept as post #37, but the formation is flipped. MIA has this play snuffed out and does two things to attempt to defeat this play. But sometimes what's drawn on the white board doesn't work out on the field.

This time, instead of Cover3 like in post #37, MIA is in Cover6. The Quarters side is doing what's called a "Cut" technique. On the Cover2 side, the CB lined up over Kerley is going to get into a trail position as if he's in man coverage, then drop off to rob Torrey's Dig.

As soon as Streater (bottom of screen) starts his Drag route, the Quarters safety and the CB (blue) will swap roles. The safety will pick up Streater in coverage and the CB (blue) will replace the safety's deep zone. This gives the illusion that the Drag is wide open for it to be targeted, but actually the safety is in perfect position to attack downhill and tackle the Drag for what would be short of the first down.
On the other side of the field, you can see Kerley's CB in tight coverage against Kerley.

As soon as Torrey breaks into his Dig, the CB on Kerley (red arrow) passes off Kerley to the Cover2 safety and will try to rob Torrey's route. Kap is able to step up in the pocket to buy time, wait for Torrey to clear away from the robbing CB and target Torrey for the 1st down.

+17. Between 'giving' the 49ers the Drag route, and robbing the Dig, MIA had this play figured out, but the 49ers are still able to make the play work.
Damn what a play by the Dolphins there ^

Former 9er coach Vance Jospeh is their DC right?

Later in the game weren't they giving convincing man looks to their Zone calls?
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 2, 2016 at 2:29 PM ]

Between Hyde and Draughn, the 49er RBs caught 11 catches for 79 yards. Some were on check downs but some were on plays designed for the RB as the primary option. The TD catch to Hyde was one, here is another on a WCO staple concept. This is on the 4th quarter drive that ended in a FG.
Texas concept vs Cover 2 Zone?

Red clears out for the yellow Angle route to work.

+16

I wonder if Chip's ever run this variant of Texas...

Adding in drive was a very popular addition to the traditional Texas concept. Even though this illustration shows a traditional WCO formation and 21 personnel I think this play above would fit nicely with Chips 12 personnel 2 TE twins form with the LOS TE running the seam/corner/out, the move TE running the drive and the HB running the Texas route.
  • thl408
That's odd the progressions on that play you posted. How the 2nd read is the flat, completely swing the head around for the 3rd read. What playbook is that from? Chip has admitted that he copies plays. This isn't anything to be shamed of, it's a copycat league. The first play that was cut up and you showed the play art for (Sticks, Double Slants) is something the Patriots run a lot.
That's odd the progressions on that play you posted. How the 2nd read is the flat, completely swing the head around for the 3rd read. What playbook is that from? Chip has admitted that he copies plays. This isn't anything to be shamed of, it's a copycat league. The first play that was cut up and you showed the play art for (Sticks, Double Slants) is something the Patriots run a lot.

I got the playart for drive Texas from a paper that's probably 15 years old and was posted on www.westcoastoffense.com. They really didn't tell who's play it was. However, I think I remember seeing that progression from a Paul Hackett playbook when he was HC at USC and OC at KC. I think that this play is from a strong I from it lends itself to quickly checking the HB at 2 before getting to the drive at 3.

As for the sticks play I posted the other day, I got that right out of Mike Shanahan's 2002 PB.
  • thl408
Final drive. When teams play man coverage against Kap, it is (almost) always Cover1. Below is why DCs should not play Cover2 Man against Kap.

4 man rush, 2 deep safeties with all 5 locked up in man coverage (red). Easy decision to scramble.

+20. So I've shown a few plays here and notice all the coverages that MIA is coming with: Cover1, Cover2 Zone, Cover2 Man, Cover3, Tampa2, Cover6. I also saw Cover4 and Fire Zone blitz. That's the whole kitchen sink in terms of variety. I don't know if this is what MIA normally does, but damn that's a lot of variety.

Which is weird because atleast I assumed that Chip would use Smith similarly to how he did Desean Jackson, but Jackson's highest targeted routes were go's and hitches from the outside and crossing patterns and screens from the slot. Posts were his least targeted route from the ones that he ran.
Share 49ersWebzone