LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

49ers Week 10 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:
I thought ARI did the 49ers a favor by running out of run heavy formations instead of spread formations, which the 49ers have had trouble defending all season. The 49ers had been giving up something like 8 yards per carry when in their nickel defense, which they mainly used against 3WR sets, that's normal. 49ers know this and have adjusted by using their base personnel (4DBs) when facing 3WR on non-obvious passing down & distances.

When previous opponents used 3WRs to run, they would spread the field. But in this game, even when ARI went 3WR and ran the ball, they would bunch up at times. I went back and tallied each run by DJohnson to see how ARI wanted to attack the 49ers with the run game. All 2TE formations were with 2 inline TEs.

(in chronological order)
yards gained: personnel/formation vs 49ers personnel

6: spread 3WR vs base
3: spread 3WR vs base
0: 2TE vs base
2: 3WR bunched up vs nickel 3-3-5
2: 2TE vs base
2: 2TE vs base
18: 2TE vs base (touchdown run)
3: 2TE vs base
-1: 2TE vs base
1: 3WR bunched vs nickel 335
2: 3TE vs base
0: 3TE vs base
1: 2TE vs nickel 335
7: 2TE vs base
0: 2TE vs base
2: 2TE vs nickel 335
1: 2TE vs base
9: 2TE vs base
-3: 2TE vs base

That's 15 runs of 3 yards or less as Johson goes for 19att/55yds. Of his 19 attempts, only 4 were with 3WRs. And we can see that even when the 49ers were in nickel, they did a good job stopping the run.

I thought JoN did a good job adjusting the defensive packages to stop the run. I also believe that Armstead's injury was more of a problem than anyone was letting on. A healthy Dial looked much better than AA. Dorsey's play was a big factor as well. He plugged the middle better than anyone had done in previous games.

I almost laughed at one point in the second half when Ronde Barber commented after a failed DJ run, "you just can't run against these guys." Where was all that in prior games?
To be fair, it was always going to take Dorsey a few games to shake off the rust. Can't expect him to come back after a year off and be in top form straight away. I guess we'll find out on Sunday if this was a trend or an anomoly...
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Right....

He threw SEVENTY passes and had 3 picks in game in which they also scored 42 points, he threw for 580 yards, he threw 3 TDs, and he completed 74% of his passes.

They lost because the D allowed forty THREE points.

If you point to the guy who had 580 yards passing, 3 TDs, and led an offense that scored 42 points....you MIGHT be looking in the wrong spot.

He made some mistakes...but come on man. Be reasonable.

It's not some mistakes... its "key" mistakes that forfeit the season unnecessarily.

He also has mike williams the best wr in the draft to throw too. Hes probably he star to draft early

You do realize hes 6'1 205lbs running qb right? Hes already too short to be a legitimate pocket passer, and too small to be a dual threat qb that could last 16 games.

This is where the brees and hobbit defenders chime in. The hobbit fell to 3rd round, that's exactly where watson belongs... early 3rd late 2nd

At 1:45 the game is over... unacceptable interception falls mainly on the coaches but he threw it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydiOIXOfCy0

I'm not arguing his draft position.

I was arguing your "he sucks" comment.
Originally posted by WolfTotem:
To be fair, it was always going to take Dorsey a few games to shake off the rust. Can't expect him to come back after a year off and be in top form straight away. I guess we'll find out on Sunday if this was a trend or an anomoly...

If Dorsey can make a statement saying the big dog can hold down the NT position for y'all next year and taking out a need for this off season... YES PLEASE.
Share 49ersWebzone