LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

The Fun and Fabulousness of the Fumbling 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bad teams will rip your heart out and stomp all over it on game day.

I remember one game pre-Harbaugh, I think it was against the Bengals. Can't remember for sure. But I do remember that a 49er defensive back had intercepted a desperation pass on the part of the opponent. It was going to be the last play of the game, or close to it. All this defensive back had to do is hold onto the ball.

I remember that I kept on yelling at the TV for the guy to just go DOWN. We had essentially WON THE GAME with that pickoff. Instead, this guy keeps running, an opposing player catches up from behind, pokes the ball out and the Bengals recover.

It took maybe two or three plays later for them to score a field goal. That one really sticks out in my mind as it hurt.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Ugly Kaep sacked 4 times. What the hell is going on with the Oline?

You didn't know that Kaepernick automatically = more sacks?
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
You should have added dumb penalty give aways to that as well.

Today we lost over 100 yards to penalties.

I went into my Game Pass App, and complied these from the in-game stats ...
Here you go:
  • Game 1, vs Rams: 2 Penalties @ 10 Yards w/1 TO
  • Game 2, vs Panther: 6 Penalties @ 50 Yards w/3 TO's
  • Game 3, vs Seahawks: 4 Penalties @ 35 Yards w/1 TO
  • Game 4, vs Cowboys: 5 Penalties @ 32 Yards w/1 TO
  • Game 5, vs Cardinals: 4 Penalties @ 34 Yards w/3 TO's
  • Game 6, vs Bills: 6 Penalties @ 52 Yards w/1 TO's
  • Game 7, vs Buccaneers: 4 Penalties @ 31 Yards W/3 TO's
  • Game 8, vs Saints: 9 Penalties @ 78 Yards w/4 TO's
  • Game 9, vs Cardinals: 9 Penalties @ 100 Yards w/1 TO
  • Game 10, vs Patriots: 10 Penalties @ 68 Yards w/0 TO's

Ten games into the season, the team's total: 59 Penalties, @ 490 Yards, w/18 TO's
for a Game Average of: 5.9 Penalties, @ 49 Yards, w/1.8 TO's/game

Only one of our running backs will get more than 490 yards rushing this season. What a huge leakage of yards
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ugly Kaep sacked 4 times. What the hell is going on with the Oline?

You didn't know that Kaepernick automatically = more sacks?

He really has to work harder on his reads and getting out of the pocket more quickly doesn't he? Needs an injection of decisiveness, fast.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

I remember one game pre-Harbaugh, I think it was against the Bengals. Can't remember for sure. But I do remember that a 49er defensive back had intercepted a desperation pass on the part of the opponent. It was going to be the last play of the game, or close to it. All this defensive back had to do is hold onto the ball.

I remember that I kept on yelling at the TV for the guy to just go DOWN. We had essentially WON THE GAME with that pickoff. Instead, this guy keeps running, an opposing player catches up from behind, pokes the ball out and the Bengals recover.

It took maybe two or three plays later for them to score a field goal. That one really sticks out in my mind as it hurt.

Nate Clements did that if I remember correctly. I don't remember which one resulted in a loss but I think the one you're referring to was Dre Bly in 2009. He started celebrating as he ran down the 49ers sideline and had the ball poked out from behind. Both were bonehead plays but atleast Nate wasn't celebrating. ha
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Nate Clements did that if I remember correctly. I don't remember which one resulted in a loss but I think the one you're referring to was Dre Bly in 2009. He started celebrating as he ran down the 49ers sideline and had the ball poked out from behind. Both were bonehead plays but atleast Nate wasn't celebrating. ha

I think you're right. We gave Clements a boatload of cash as I recall too. Didn't take long before his nickname became "Cement Shoes" Clements. That dude was supposed to be the "answer" to our woes in the secondary. Instead, as I recall, we got worse.

Ah, the bad times. How I miss them.

Wait...
Fun, fabulous Fumbling Forty Niners, Force, Furious, Fans, to Fly, Fierce, Flags over stadium on game day!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Fun, fabulous Fumbling Forty Niners, Force, Furious, Fans, to Fly, Fierce, Flags over stadium on game day!

Fantastic!

If I may add to the ending to read.

........Fierce anti Front office Flags over Frisco Bay on Football day!
So.... everyone in here smokes weed im guessing!?

• BobS
  • Veteran

I find it hard to believe that a professional football player would lack the situational awareness a High School player should have. I think he cared more about a return TD and a spot on ESPN highlights for himself than laying down and securing victory as a team player. Problem is now if that guy is a starter he gets nothing more than a talking to. An old school coach back in the day would give him a game off to think about what he did. I see too much crap that just should not happen with players at this level. I see a lot of poor tackling technique that leads to broken tackles, makes no sense.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:

I think you're right. We gave Clements a boatload of cash as I recall too. Didn't take long before his nickname became "Cement Shoes" Clements. That dude was supposed to be the "answer" to our woes in the secondary. Instead, as I recall, we got worse.

Ah, the bad times. How I miss them.

Wait...
Remember Anthony "The Turnstile" Clement? Dude could not block his grandmother, has to be the worst 49er lineman of all time, including the replacement players.

Ughhhhhh I remember that, it was Week 3 in 2010 against the Falcons. Roddy White poked the call from Clements with like a minute or so left on the clock. They got the ball, marched down the field, and got the winning FG
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Fantastic!

If I may add to the ending to read.

........Fierce anti Front office Flags over Frisco Bay on Football day!

Thanks I was running out of printable F-words!
Chip Kelly saying that turnovers killed today's game. Here is update of one aspect of the turnovers even though we only had one lost.

Fumbles in Season
C Kaepernick 2 for loss 4 recovered Total 6
J Kerley 1 for loss 2 recovered 1 muffed Total 4
G Celek 1 for loss 1 recovered Total 2
C Hyde 1 for loss 1 recovered Total 2
D Harris 1 for loss Total 1
M Davis 1 for loss Total 1
S Draughn 1 for loss Total 1
C Davis 1 for loss Total 1
K Martin 1 for loss Total 1
A Burbridge 1 for loss Total 1
D Kilgore 1 recovered Total 1
J Shepherd 1 recovered Total 1
Q Patton 1 recovered Total 1

Total lost 11 recovered/muffed 12 Grand Total 23 from 13 different players in 11 games = 1 per game
Well, to wrap it up and rub salt in to an old wound we now are the proud owner of another number one chart topping stat.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-fumbles-and-fumbles-lost/2016/

29 fumbles with 15 for a loss.

Rathman under pressure?
Share 49ersWebzone