LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Idea---49er Veteran Committee to Select GM?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Lott and Craig. The others are either too old or too detached. Then there are the likes of Bryant Young. Not sure any owner would go for is approach though.

Oakland did and I'm somewhat curious about re-establishing the niners camaraderie with older guys from the 70s and 80s being invited back. That's almost as important as the selection input they would give. The team (Yorks) has pushed them away and made them persona non grata for over a decade. Wonder if any of them have Jed's phone number? Bet they could get Eddie D on the phone night or day.

I like Bryant Young and believe there are probably some really bright guys from the past that none of us think of off the tops of our heads.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Mark Davis was new and smart enough to know what he doesn't know. Jed is thinking I led a team to the super bowl I can do it again. Just my humble opinion

Knowing what he doesn't know is a good description. Jed and the Yorks are not guilty of such self knowledge.

I really hope he does get some guidance but I think Jed is too proud to do so.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
NO to BYoung.. he doesn't seem to fit that GM kinda guy.. we need someone more vocal from the inside, then would also hire someone from the outside..

Steve Young really fits the mold, Matt Millen is a no-nonsense guy, we need someone like that to put up with players who are jerks..

Corey Chavous I think would be a good Manager of Scouting/Draft Department... The guy has eye for talent..
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really like the idea a lot.

There is a thread for who'd we'd like as GM and there were a few good mentions whose names should be included in the mix as GM.

Billick and Keena Turner come to mind

Ahh...Keena is a good pick. Another guy I just recalled is Gene Washington. He is from before Walsh but is only 69 and has contacts in Washington DC politics, the league office and through Stanford...also knows Condoleeza Rice, who would be another good pick to get involved in a search. I can't really come up with a logical group and certainly not one that would be palatable to the York family.

Denise York or Eddie D--Denise successfully turned around her hockey team by taking over; Eddie D is...Eddie D
Gene Washington--senior committee, pre Walsh era rep
John Brodie--lives locally and can also represent older teams
Condoleeza Rice--knows how to organize and drive a group
George Seifert--good guy, low key and might be able to help smooth egos
Mike Holmgren--NFL connections and coaching fraternity
Bryant Young--recently involved in coaching
Ronnie Lott--no BS and no one would mess with this group
Joe Montana--best ever
Steve Young--lawyer and brightest ever
Dwight Clark--experience in NFL management, former niner exec and player
Charles Haley--would be interesting and Lott could handle him
Jed won't ask for help.

Esp. if he has to pay them.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Jed won't ask for help.

Esp. if he has to pay them.

Perhaps Eddie D will sponsor the group!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Jed won't ask for help.

Probably. Mark Davis finally put together a committee but he seems like a more open guy.

Mark Davis was new and smart enough to know what he doesn't know. Jed is thinking I led a team to the super bowl I can do it again. Just my humble opinion

Sus, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. EGO!! Jed seems to have a rather large one while also seemingly being quite unaware how his self image is wildly out of sync with reality. I always say, ignorance and arrogance are a deadly combo.
Originally posted by LVJay:
When you think logical, rational, open-minded and smart like this... not gonna happen under this ownership

#

This might be the core of my deepest despair and hopelessness about this situation. They seem to be incredibly ignorant and arrogant.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Jed has proven time after time, that he is incapable of making any competent NFL decisions, and has no business running an NFL franchise. If he worked for anybody other than his own family, he would be fired, but probably never given the opportunity in the first place. Jed has no experience as a leader of men, no respect among his own peers, nor does he even appear to know what he's doing. He is a laughing stock among league circles, being laughed at for all his ridiculous decisions, all while thinking that he's the smartest guy in the room. Jed can play lets pretend all he wants, but he's nothing more than a spoiled rotten brat that was given an NFL team to play with. Unless he lucks into another Harbaugh situation, 49ers fans are screwed.

Sorry, just needed to vent...

I wish you were venting...You seemed to me, to be simply stating the facts. This is why I get so depressed about the situation. That someone like this can hold this respected franchise and all it's loyal fans hostage to his continuous childish, impish, torture. I wish Uncle Eddie would just go off on him once and totally take apart is distorted self image. Point out to him was a total failure he has been and tell him to get the hell out of the way and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.
Originally posted by 9moon:
NO to BYoung.. he doesn't seem to fit that GM kinda guy.. we need someone more vocal from the inside, then would also hire someone from the outside..

Steve Young really fits the mold, Matt Millen is a no-nonsense guy, we need someone like that to put up with players who are jerks..

Corey Chavous I think would be a good Manager of Scouting/Draft Department... The guy has eye for talent..

We are talking about putting these guys on a steering committee that would provide guidance and direction while hunting for a new GM.

Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Jed has proven time after time, that he is incapable of making any competent NFL decisions, and has no business running an NFL franchise. If he worked for anybody other than his own family, he would be fired, but probably never given the opportunity in the first place. Jed has no experience as a leader of men, no respect among his own peers, nor does he even appear to know what he's doing. He is a laughing stock among league circles, being laughed at for all his ridiculous decisions, all while thinking that he's the smartest guy in the room. Jed can play lets pretend all he wants, but he's nothing more than a spoiled rotten brat that was given an NFL team to play with. Unless he lucks into another Harbaugh situation, 49ers fans are screwed.

Sorry, just needed to vent...

I wish you were venting...You seemed to me, to be simply stating the facts. This is why I get so depressed about the situation. That someone like this can hold this respected franchise and all it's loyal fans hostage to his continuous childish, impish, torture. I wish Uncle Eddie would just go off on him once and totally take apart is distorted self image. Point out to him was a total failure he has been and tell him to get the hell out of the way and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.

Not sure they are all facts but sounds right. I've been skeptical about Jed from the beginning but it isn't just Jed. Dr. York was ill suited to run a football team and set the business side of the franchise up as a non-football entity. He hired Marathe, which wasn't all wrong, but he loves numbers so much that they took priority over football sense or acumen. Marathe took his numbers all the way to the presidency of the team.

I'm not sure if there is a way out of the York management wasteland but bringing football people back into the fold and reversing the anti-Eddie D days attitude would certainly help.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 8, 2016 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
LOL, I post this idea, every time we have a crap season! My committee, is Me, Eddie, Steve Young, Joe, and ouija board, so we can ask Bill, and Jonny Walker, he needs to be there to help us focus.

Johnny? He knows nothing. Select Glenn Livet, he is smooth!

Yeah, but that accent, cant understand single thing he says!
LOL, I post this idea, every time we have a crap season! My committee, is Me, Eddie, Steve Young, Joe, and ouija board, so we can ask Bill, and Jonny Walker, he needs to be there to help us focus.

Johnny? He knows nothing. Select Glenn Livet, he is smooth!

Yeah, but that accent, cant understand single thing he says!

Jameson's accent is difficult but after a few no one cares!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by LVJay:
When you think logical, rational, open-minded and smart like this... not gonna happen under this ownership

#

This might be the core of my deepest despair and hopelessness about this situation. They seem to be incredibly ignorant and arrogant.

Money / greed clouds the mind...
I'd choose Young, Lott, Montana, Rice, Craig, H Barton, K Turner, BY, Tim McDonald, Guy McIntire, Bono, D Hicks, D Clark, Randy Cross, B Jones... basically anyone who gave an interview in their heyday and appeared to have more going for him than just playing the game
[ Edited by Sourball on Nov 8, 2016 at 8:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone