There are 269 users in the forums

Idea---49er Veteran Committee to Select GM?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Listening to Larry and Gary today, LK suggested the Yorks put together a committee of elders as the Raiders did to straighten out the organization--pick a GM. Seems like a good idea, though unlikely to happen--not that I don't trust the Yorks... . Wondering who might be good choices for such a committee. Which guys are really still involved with the NFL?

A few names came to mind--though some would exclude others:

These guys might be too old and removed from football but perhaps they could be honorees?
Eddie D (70)
Policy (73)
McVay (85)
Seifert (76)
Holmgren (68)

Ex Players
Montana
Young
Lott
Jones
Rice

Who would you pick?
the yorks genuinely believe they have it all figured out. they laugh at the prospect of outside "help".
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Listening to Larry and Gary today, LK suggested the Yorks put together a committee of elders as the Raiders did to straighten out the organization--pick a GM. Seems like a good idea, though unlikely to happen--not that I don't trust the Yorks... . Wondering who might be good choices for such a committee. Which guys are really still involved with the NFL?

A few names came to mind--though some would exclude others:

These guys might be too old and removed from football but perhaps they could be honorees?
Eddie D (70)
Policy (73)
McVay (85)
Seifert (76)
Holmgren (68)

Ex Players
Montana
Young
Lott
Jones
Rice

Who would you pick?

Seifert
Holmgren
Young
Lott
Jones

Off the top of my head those would seem to make the best group. Young enough to still be in tough and they have the acumen IMO.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
the yorks genuinely believe they have it all figured out. they laugh at the prospect of outside "help".

I'm hoping that, if Jed and Denise did pick Tomsula last year, they have learned not to meddle. OK...a dream, but a good one!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jed won't ask for help.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Seifert
Holmgren
Young
Lott
Jones

Off the top of my head those would seem to make the best group. Young enough to still be in tough and they have the acumen IMO.

Either Larry or Gary mentioned Joe Montana touting Carr before the Raiders drafted him. Might be a good judge of players, though he wouldn't want to be a GM...nor would most of these guys.
Originally posted by susweel:
Jed won't ask for help.

Probably. Mark Davis finally put together a committee but he seems like a more open guy.
Do we really want Holmgren or Shanahan as GM though?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jed won't ask for help.

Probably. Mark Davis finally put together a committee but he seems like a more open guy.

Mark Davis was new and smart enough to know what he doesn't know. Jed is thinking I led a team to the super bowl I can do it again. Just my humble opinion
Mark Davis was new and smart enough to know what he doesn't know. Jed is thinking I led a team to the super bowl I can do it again. Just my humble opinion

Knowing what he doesn't know is a good description. Jed and the Yorks are not guilty of such self knowledge.

The Yorks won't go for that. Forget it........
Originally posted by btthepunk:

No, the idea is to have members of this group select a GM. If one of them impressed the rest so much that they were selected guess that would work. But with those egos involved, I'm not sure they would select one of the committee members.
Larry finally had an awakening and suggested that anybody involved in the stench

John, Jed, Paraag , Baalke, Kelley , must exit the building, and in Jed's case travel the world.

" Stench ". What a perfect word.

No, the idea is to have members of this group select a GM. If one of them impressed the rest so much that they were selected guess that would work. But with those egos involved, I'm not sure they would select one of the committee members.

I mentioned them because it always seems like some of our alumni always bring them up for coach or GM.
I mentioned them because it always seems like some of our alumni always bring them up for coach or GM.

Ahh...yes, they are usually mentioned, even though they have little to no experience. Oakland had Madden and a number of others on their committee...anyone know who they were? Google to the rescue.

Having those guys on the committee might bring back some niner history and good karma to the team.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone