LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

How many of you think it would be beneficial to move back to the 4-3 Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many of you think it would be beneficial to move back to the 4-3 Defense?

This defense is built as a 3-4, especially with AA and Bucky.

tbh i kind of wish we didnt draft armstead, it wouldve been much better if we drafted Shane Ray, then bucky, then we would be okay with picking either Allen or Garrett.
  • thl408
Originally posted by mayo49:
I wonder if they'll say today, if they're sticking with the 3-4 or moving to a 4-3?

They don't have a DC so it'd be odd to make that determination without the DC's input wouldn't it?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I wonder if they'll say today, if they're sticking with the 3-4 or moving to a 4-3?

They don't have a DC so it'd be odd to make that determination without the DC's input wouldn't it?

Yeah, I guess so.
Most teams run a nickel or 2-4-5 defense most plays nowadays. We need a D.C. Who has a scheme based around gap assignments and discipline.
Teams are going smaller and faster to be more effective in coverage. I think having a 4-man front allows us to have more speed at the LB's positions.

A 3-4, you have 2 LB's who need to be 260+. In a 4-3, if you have a big front 4, you can adjust personnel behind that big 4 to be more about speed, coverage, and shooting around.

In 2016, we lost a lot when Ray Ray went down. He was showing tremendous promise at LB for a guy his size. Was able to get through blocks and cover WR's.

2017 Defense will be miles ahead of the last two years. If Bowman can come back 100% and team up with Ray Ray and Brooks...that's a damn athletic LB corp.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Teams are going smaller and faster to be more effective in coverage. I think having a 4-man front allows us to have more speed at the LB's positions.

A 3-4, you have 2 LB's who need to be 260+. In a 4-3, if you have a big front 4, you can adjust personnel behind that big 4 to be more about speed, coverage, and shooting around.

In 2016, we lost a lot when Ray Ray went down. He was showing tremendous promise at LB for a guy his size. Was able to get through blocks and cover WR's.

2017 Defense will be miles ahead of the last two years. If Bowman can come back 100% and team up with Ray Ray and Brooks...that's a damn athletic LB corp.

Agreed. But it's just a cycle of the NFL. Once most teams switch to smaller linebackers a team will get some big ugly sand have a power running game and dominate. Then the. Rest of the league will copy it and the circle of life goes on.
Oh look, it's the annual Let's Shift to 4-3 thread.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

lol
I wouldn't say the scheme itself, 3-4 or 4-3, is more beneficial. You need the talent and discipline on that side of the ball to make whatever scheme work. Right now we're lacking key pieces to make either scheme work. We need pass rushers and run-stoppers.

Whether we play 3-4 or 4-3, I want to see an aggressive, attacking style defense. That doesn't necessarily mean we blitz more, but I want to see more one-gapping than two-gapping. Less read and react and more of an attacking mindset.
Against elite QB's when it matters most you have to be able to rush with 4 and get pressure to allow the other defenders to drop into coverage. Whether your rushing 4 DL or 3 DL / OLB you still have to pressure the QB and stop the run with those players.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I wouldn't say the scheme itself, 3-4 or 4-3, is more beneficial. You need the talent and discipline on that side of the ball to make whatever scheme work. Right now we're lacking key pieces to make either scheme work. We need pass rushers and run-stoppers.

Whether we play 3-4 or 4-3, I want to see an aggressive, attacking style defense. That doesn't necessarily mean we blitz more, but I want to see more one-gapping than two-gapping. Less read and react and more of an attacking mindset.

More Press Coverage!
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Agreed. But it's just a cycle of the NFL. Once most teams switch to smaller linebackers a team will get some big ugly sand have a power running game and dominate. Then the. Rest of the league will copy it and the circle of life goes on.

Yes but I think we have the DL that can sustain against both.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah, I guess so.

I'm waiting until the DC is hired before I'm going to get too wrapped up in this annual question.

On the other hand, I can picture AA and Dorsey as DT's and Buckner on the outside as a DE fairly easily. Maybe I'm wrong though.

If we did switch, it would make Allen a possibility with the 2nd pick.
Originally posted by English:

Seriously. Only thing that's different is that the majority of the guys that have been rumored as DC candidates are most familiar with a 4-3 defense.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

More Press Coverage!

Good coaches will let their players do what they do best and work that into the scheme. If a player is best at press, let him press. If he's better in off coverage, then do that.
Share 49ersWebzone